“Amazing reception” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 138 Hotels in Portland
State College, PA
“Amazing reception”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is by no means the least expensive hotel in Portland, but in terms of atmosphere and location it can't be beat. You are in easy walking distance of everything- five blocks from
Powells Books, three from Pioneer Square, the same block as the Nike store and a number of cute boutiques. The attached restaurant is fabulous. There are free bikes, which we took advantage of, and the fitness room is first rate. The staff booked restaurants for us and helped us a number of ways. We had a double queen suite, which was not particularly spacious, for a suite, but quiet and comfortable. I was traveling with kids, and they gave each of them a stuffed animal and brought a goldfish to our room for our stay! Basically the main reason to stay at a Kimpton is that you get a level of service and amenities which is almost comparable to the Four Seasons.

What set this hotel apart from other Kimptons I've stayed at was the wine reception from 4-6. At other Kimptons there might be a house red and a house white, and a few snacks. At the Portland Monaco they had an assortment of local wines, and Perrier, and a microbrew, and a guy playing a marimba (looks like a giant xylophone) AND paints and canvases for kids to paint with! There was a huge and happy crowd enjoying the music, and basically it was one of the best scenes we encountered in Portland. Right in our own hotel. Fantastic. I can't imagine staying anywhere else.

1 Thank PSU_travel_mom
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thanks so much for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate your feedback. Yes, we do try to keep our wine hour interesting and FUN. Just last week we oferred face painting, and amazingly enough not only did kids partake but many adults. We offer complimentray massages, tarot card readings, henna tatoos, and magicians during this magical hour in our hotel. Let's face it we are all kids at heart, and who doesn't enjoy escaping from the mundane and dull. That might also explain our design concepts. Your not likely to find "traditional" in a Kimpton Monaco Hotel.

We look forward to your next visit.

Craig Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

I meant to write this review immediately, but it's been over a month so I hope I remember everything!
First of all, the hotel and room was quirky - in a good way. Noise from outside was minimal. Bed was comfy. Location was great - could walk pretty much anywhere downtown, along the river, to the different neighborhoods, to the food trucks....
Special shout out to Spencer, one of the concierges, who emailed me ad nauseum before we arrived. I am rather "detailed-oriented" when I travel, and as I had never been to Portland before, I had to pack as much in to my 3 days as possible. He helped me months in advance with my itinerary and restaurant reservations. And when he wasn't working, the front desk staff was friendly, professional and helpful in every way. We also were pleasantly surprised by some goodies in our room - some Stumptown coffee, Blue Star donuts, local wine, and a giftcard to Powell's book store. Don't forget to check out the wild robes in the closet (see picture)
This is a dog friendly hotel, and they have happy hours, with wine tastings and a little food - so after a long day exploring, we enjoyed the packed lobby, meeting other guests and meeting their dogs. They also had free bikes on loan, and that was one of our favorite afternoons - biking along the Willamette River's esplanade.
I think the best part of the hotel was the staff and the warm and helpful service we received. It was like we were VIP's - without feeling like we were staying at a stuffy hotel. There also was an Aveda salon attached to the hotel, so the 1/2 price massages we received (it was July 4 weekend) were a bonus.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at Hotel Monaco Portland and for writing such a detailed review of your stay. I can relate to being a little behind on writing reviews (or answering them). I was happy to read what a wonderful time you had planning your stay with Spencer (who has recently left us and been replaced by one of our front desk agents, Nicci) and the rest of the front desk staff. I've shared your comments with our front office manager who is always happy to hear about great experiences. I'm glad you got a chance to try our bikes and squeeze in a massage next door. I look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Portland.

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

I'm never disappointed in Kimpton! They upgraded me from a regular room with two doubles to a superior king suite at no charge. Service and staff wonderful! Certainly my favorite hotel chain! Thank you Kimpton again and again!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for ataying with us and for writing a review on TripAdvisor. I'm glad you enjoyed the upgraded room. I agree the staff is pretty great. I look forward to continuing to be a bright spot in your travels.

Treasure Coast, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Monaco in July of 2013 with a couple of girlfriend/cousins. This place is decorated with hodgepodge. Like glue and newspaper. Nothing matches. I mean nothing. And I loved it. It was quirky and fantastic. That is part of its charm. And it is perfect for Portland. (Bathroom wallpaper was super interesting: it was a series of Portland landmarks.)

Service? Every person at this hotel is just super nice. And genuinely so. Joke? They joke. Ask? They intelligently deliver. Tease? They will one up you. Point in case: after a night of debauchery with my two cousins, we returned to our room and called room service to ask for some late night junk food: fries, grilled cheese, etc. We gave the server a really hard time, teasing him about how us middle-aged women thought the room service ice cream menu could use some tweaking. Totally joking.

When our late night order was delivered, on the tray was two pints of delicious premium ice cream. We thought our server was politely to our teasing: however, he went to the local market in the wee hours and bought ice cream for us obnoxious women. He's going to make a fine husband to a very lucky woman some day. My cousins and I laughed like crazy.

I was so impressed with this Kimpton that I booked and stayed at another Kimpton a few weeks later: the Grand Hotel in Minneapolis which is just as colorful and also in an excellent location for the city. That's another review. Point being: Not being too serious + special request ice cream = repeat customers.

I sporadically fill out the online survey emails but took the time to do it for Hotel Monaco. I got a personal reponse from the room service manager asking, what specifically made this stay great? Tis was the first time I ever completed one of those and actually got a response from a real live person. That was refreshing, to say the least. Yet it made sense given the great experience we had there. I told him about our inebriated, 1am ice cream order and how his staff delivered. Literally. So. Stay here and make crazy requests. See what happens. Heheh.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us and for writing such a lovely review. I was pleased to read your comments about our staff, I agree that they are pretty great at balancing the fun parts of customer service and getting the job done. I love your story about the ice cream. It is moments like this that remind me why our hotel is such a fun place for our guests and our enployees. I'm glad you had the chance to stay in Minneapolis as well and that you spent the time to fill out the room service survey. We really do take those responces to heart. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

The hotel was impeccable, with beautiful decor, but too be honest it was a little OTT for us, with wallpaper and prints and designer furniture everywhere! The atmosphere was perhaps a little on the cold side, not as welcoming as we had expected, a bit stuffy, and not especially friendly to children. We also found the extras like the mini bar, umbrellas etc. a bit on the pricey side but we loved the 'companion goldfish' in our room, the wine reception, and the location. The bathroom in our suite was gorgeous, with really nice toiletries. Didn't appreciate having condoms in the mini bar as I had to explain them to my pre-teen children! But overall this is a great hotel.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and for reviewing your time with us on TripAdvisor. I was happy to read that you enjoyed our decor and that one of our goldfish joined you for your stay. Thank you for the feedback about our service and the price of the amenities in your guestroom. I have shared your review with our front office manager and assistant general manager. Together we will work with our front desk staff to make sure that we are welcoming all of our guests, especially children. Thank you also for the comments about the mini bar items and pricing as well as the umbrellas. Our in-room umbrellas are complimentary to use during your stay. We also have complimentary umbrellas for guests to use at our front desk. I agree that it is expensive to use the in-room mini bar. One of the benefits of our guest loyalty program, Kimpton In Touch, is a $10 mini bar credit each time you stay with a Kimpton Hotel. I will mention your concern about certain mini bar items to our corporate office. Thank you again and I hope we see you next time you're in Portland.

UT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

This was our first experience at a Kimpton hotel. Overall, it was a great experience, in spite of a couple of oversights.

We stayed here with our two children. The room- a suite with a king bed and pull-out sofa--was beautifully decorated and appointed, if a bit over-furnished.

We were not informed upon check-in that Turndown service is available by request, so we pulled out the sofabed ourselves. However, we had to rearrange and relocate large pieces of furniture in order to do so. The resulting placements were, in all likelihood, in violation of fire safety code, but we were too tired to address it with staff in the moment.

Katy, the desk agent who checked us in was on duty in the morning, and apologized with sincerity. When I explained that the price of the room was such that I felt our needs should have been anticipated, she agreed and offered $100 reduction in our rate. I accepted, though I wasn't expecting such a concession.

On the plus side: happy hour was a great scene, and I had a chance to meet up with an old friend there. There are a few well-placed sofas and chairs outside the lounge area, which is nice.

In the morning, my sons made me a smoothie on a human-powered bike blender. "They got it on EBAY," announced my 6 year-old, with great excitement.

We had a delicious breakfast in the on-site restaurant, served by a kind and attentive server.

Joseph, the bellman, is engaging, knowledgable and warm. He offers suggestions of sights and activities and then follows up, afterward, to see how guests enjoyed the outing. He even gifted two plush toy puppies to my kids. The valet parking staff was super--making sure we didn't have to navigate tricky garage corners, and taking an interest in the quality of our stay at the hotel and our visit to Portland.

Overall, a quality experience.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to write such a detailed review. I was happy to read your comments about Joseph and Katy as well as the quick reaction to your comments in the morning. I hope we get the chance to offer you turndown service in the future and am working with our front desk manager to be more proactive on this front. The blender bike has been a fun addition to our Friday mornings. I hope we have the chance to welcome you back sometime soon.

Indian Wells, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Monaco during our trip to Portland. We were in Portland for my father's funeral. The staff at this hotel are not only friendly but, sincerely care about their guests. Everything was perfect. The rooms are lovely, very clean and are inviting. The service is excellent from the welcoming staff, excellent housekeeping, valet, room service and front desk. I will never stay anywhere else when traveling to Portland. Hotel Monaco is a perfect 10!

Room Tip: The suites are fabulous!