Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
$186
EmbassySuites.com
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Shilo Inns Portland Airport(Portland)(Great Value!)
$150
$193
Travelocity
$202
3,271 results
All reviewsred starking suitewine hourhappy houranimal print robessocial hourwine receptionliving roommini barevery eveningvoodoo donutsheart of downtownwine tastingvalet staffthe pearlsitting areafood carts
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This hotel worked out just great for us. In the heart of Portland, easy walking to all the sites. Also, really comfortable and the staff was wonderful to work with. They all seemed to be really concerned that we were enjoying ourselves. The rooms were typical of their hotel, very whimsical but very spacious. Enjoyed the evening wine events and they also had a couple morning events and always had coffee available.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for writing a review. I was happy to read your comments about the staff, I agree that the care they put into each and every interaction sets us apart as special. I hope we see you again sometime soon.

General Manger

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Booked this without reference just by internet searching and was completely satisfied. I had answered the question upon booking if we were celebrating any special event of which I informed them we were in fact coming for our 36th wedding anniversary from Seattle. We were met by a very friendly front desk and went ot our beautiful suite. Very comfortable, open and unique.

Went out walking after getting a bunch of suggestins from the front desk on places to eat. Upon coming back several hours later, we found a geat bottle of iced champagne and a handwritten happy anniversary card from the manager as well as a turned down bed with red rose pedals sprinkled across it!

Needless to say, we were very impressed all around with our experiance and will definitely go back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us and writing such a lovely review. I was happy to read you had such a great anniversary and that you enjoyed the card and champagne. I hope we have the chance to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Granted we are not part of the rich and famous so there are probably better hotels but for our family the hotel was absolutely the best. I did a ton of research on Trip Advisor and hotel websites to pick the hotel that met our needs but I have to say that the Hotel Monaco exceeded my expectations. First of all I probably called them 25 times with questions about the hotel, transportion, the rooms, tours, etc. Every time the person who answered was helpful and very pleasant. The night before our trip it dawned on us that a refrigerator in our suite would be helpful. We called and it was "no problem". It was great to have for the 4 days we were there. When we arrived we were early for check in time so they stored our luggage and sent us off to a great restaurant. Every staff member at the hotel was upbeat, positive and extremely helpful. I hate to mention one person when everyone was so great but Poppy went out of her way to help us find a restaurant the first day and then again to help us find vintage clothing stores in the area.

The nightly happy hours were great. We had a chance to chat with other guests as well as talking with the hotel staff. We made 3 out of the 4 nights we stayed and were bummed we did not make them all. The hotel serves Starbuckes coffee in the rooms and downstairs in the morning. Two of our family cannot live with out coffee so this was a very welcome way to start the day.

They also have bikes to ride for free. While they are new and shiny they do not have gears which was disappointing to the two avid bike riders in the group. The morning we went riding they were making smoothies in the common area using a stationary bike to power the blender! Just another cool way the hotel made our stay memorable.

The location of the hotel was perfect. We were able to walk to almost all of our destinations within 15 minutes. The bedroom, sitting room and bathroom were very large. The decor can only be described as eclectic. We had a goose foot lamp, geometric chairs, and bird wallpaper. Once you got over the shock of it all it grows on you. The housekeeping could not have been better as well. Our room was cleaned excellently and towels, etc restocked everyday.

Overall the Hotel Monaco set a new standard for hotels to stay at for us. I am looking forward to our next trip where there is a Kimpton Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for staying with us and for writing such a detailed review. I was pleased to read your comments about Poppy and pass them on to her. I think our staff is pretty great too and she is certainly one of our standouts. The bike program is one of the things I think really sets us apart and allows our guests to live like locals. I have heard so many great comments about the blender bike and am so glad you had a chance to try a Friday morning smoothie. I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Portland.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent 3 nights at the Hotel Monaco Portland in August 2013 and found it to be a very good hotel and would recommend it to anyone needing or wanting to stay in downtown Portland. The pros and cons for the hotel, in my opinion, are as follows:

Pros:
• The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The front doormen were particularly great as a source of information on how to get around and where to go. I also had a package to mail and the front desk staff was outstanding, giving me an envelope, bubble wrap, and mailing it out for me.
• We had a standard king room, and while it was a tad small, it was still fine for us. It was well appointed and comfortable overall, and we liked the funky decorations, which are a signature of the hotel Monaco chain. Our room also faced Washington Street and we never heard any traffic noises during our stay.
• The bathroom was a good size and also well appointed. The shower was great, and we liked being able to reuse towels during our stay!
• The afternoon drinks happy hour provided by the hotel was good, but it got a bit crowded while we were there, so we only grabbed a drink on one of the nights we stayed.
• The location was great for our needs. We were in town for the last day of the Bite of Oregon, which was only a few blocks away. Voodoo Doughnuts and the restaurants/bars of Pearl District, along with Powell’s Books, were also within walking distance for us (although, perhaps not for everyone).
• And finally, having nothing to do with the hotel, we used Backroads Wine Tours to take a tour of the Willamette Valley and I would highly recommend using them if you are interested a trip to Oregon wine country. Jack customized the trip to our tastes and we tried some truly outstanding wines and learned a lot about the region.

Cons:
• While the room was fine, the mattress in our room was a bit tired. For instance, every time I rolled over in a certain way or got out of bed, the springs popped loudly enough to wake us up.
• We knew we were going to going to be arriving at the hotel a bit early, so called a few hours in advance to see if we could check in early, and were told we could do so. I understand that many factors go into being able to check in early, but when we arrived we were told we actually could not check in early. Not really a big deal, but why say we could if they were unsure?

Overall, the cons were really quite minor. The pros, however, were also not overly strong either. As such, while I most definitely recommend this hotel for anyone needing or wanting to stay in downtown Portland, I can’t give the hotel 5 stars. It is absolutely a solid 4, in my opinion, though.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for staying with us and for writing such a detailed review. I was happy to see you had a chance to make it out to wine country while you were here. I have shared your comments about the mattress springs with our housekeeping supervisor and she is keeping an eye out to resolve the issue so your experience will not be repeated. I have also shared your comments on early check in with our front office manager and he is working with his staff on how to better attend to these requests. I agree the staff is pretty great and I'm glad they could be of help. I do hope we have the chance to welcome you back next time you are in Portland.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful, so that made check-in and check-out easy and pleasant. The best part of this hotel is the rooms! I loved the quirky but elegant décor, spacious layout, and the funky and fun touches throughout. We made it a point to be at the free happy hour, where we were able to meet other guests and some of their sweet pets, too! This hotel offers a lot of cool touches, and I would stay here again and again, given the chance.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind comments. I agree that the staff is one of our top assets. I was glad to read your comments about the decor and the pets, I think they are what make us feel like a home away from home for so many of our guests. I hope we have a chance to welcome you back in the near future.