“Fun!”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The location was perfect, right in the middle of the city. The hotel staff were helpful and all the little amenities were fun and make you feel like the hotel actually cares that you're having a good time. There is a hosted wine reception in the lobby every day, pets are welcome and bikes are available to use. The room decor is very whimsical. Our room showed a tad bit of wear and tear, but still very comfortable. Kimpton definitely has tons more personality than anonymous large business chain hotels and a better price.

Room Tip: The hotel welcomes pets, but hypoallergenic floors are also available.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and for the nice comments about your time with us. I'm glad you had fun and hope we'll have the opportunity to see you again next time you're in Portland.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

The hotel is fantastic. It embodies the "sense of Portland" in the fact they welcomed dogs, served up local brews and wine at happy hour, gave hybrid cars a discount in the garage, provided bikes to loan, and had friendly staff.

The quality of our room was top notch and very quiet. The location could not be beat, a short walk from anywhere. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms appear to be in quieter locations.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing Hotel Monaco Portland and for reviewing your recent stay with us. Thank you for the nice feedback about our pet-friendliness, complimentary wine and beer reception, hybrid-car discount, staff, and complimentary bike fleet. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us and I hope we'll see you again next time you're in Portland.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Hubby and I stayed here for couple of days. This place is very centrally located. We walked to all the places in the downtown area and also drove out couple of times. The staff are really friendly and very helpful. The only issue was we had to pay for our parking which is pretty high.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing Hotel Monaco Portland. I'm glad you enjoyed our location and I appreciate the nice comments about our staff. Overnight valet parking is $38, is located in a secure, on-site lot, and includes unlimited in and out priviledges. We do offer half-price parking for hybrid and electric vehicles and many of our room rates and packages include complimentary or discounted parking. At Hotel Monaco we frequently research downtown overnight valet parking charges and have found that ours are competitive with other downtown properties. Thank you for staying and I hope we see you again next time you're in Portland.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

For years, going back to the late 90s, my wife and I stayed at the then Fifth Avenue Suites -- name changed a few years ago to the Hotel Monaco.-- maybe 25 times. Always had a suite at a very reasonable price. The rooms were fully equipped, so to speak, and with the extra room we sometimes had one of my grandchildren stay with us. No more -- apparently. The single room we had last week was oddly shaped -- as if if I had been part of a larger suite -- the bed almost filled the space, the peculiarly shaped chairs were placed next to a round table facing a TV, not easily seen from the bed. The side tables had faux drawers-- the front of each looked normal but was actually a single piece of wood with fake handles. The bathroom had a sliding door -- no hook for PJs and no towel bars near the tub/shower. My wife had to open up the ironing board to spread out her things. The large room off the hotel lobby where one could sit and talk, changed in the late afternoon into a wine bar with a pianist so loud we had to leave. And the price for the room was worthy of a Hilton or equally higher-end hotel. A genuine disappointment. No next time here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank GiantsFans16
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of the Hotel Monaco Portland. I am so sorry you did not get the suite that you were accustomed to when the hotel was the 5th Avenue Suites. I also apologize for the piano music during wine hour. I will tone it down. I would like to try to make this right for you. If you will give us a second chance and call me I would like to try to get it right.

Thanks again.

Craig

Reviewed July 6, 2013

From the moment we arrived, the service was universally excellent - front desk staff, concierge, valet, doormen and housekeeping. Recommendations were provided with maps and everyone was willing to go out of their way to help. We received excellent advice on visiting breweries, breakfast locations, and biking.

As with all Kimptons, Hotel Monaco Portland is pet friendly. They have a welcome sign in the lobby that names all the animals in residence - it was very cute. Also, the morning coffee/tea and evening wine reception is typical of all Kimptons - part of the reason we will always go out of our way to stay at one.

Other touches that were appreciated were the free Tuesday morning yoga and the Thursday morning run (although that one was too early for us to take advantage of).

Red Star was fantastic for breakfast - food was excellent.

Each room comes equipped with a yoga mat - loved having one provided so I didn't have to travel with mine.

Which leads to my one and only complaint - the room was small. Very small - the only place to lay out a yoga mat was in the hallway leading from the door, next to the bathroom and closet. There wasn't a second chair for both my husband and me to sit in.

There is free wi-fi for Kimpton in-touch members. Also, the bed was very comfortable. Many outlets conveniently located at both nightstands.

Unlike the bedroom part, the bathroom was room and comfortable - with an etagere that could hold toiletries.

Overall a great experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and for the nice comments about your time with us. I was especially pleased to read about the service you received. I'll be sure to share your review with our staff as I know they'll be pleased. I'm glad you had the opportunity to join our complimentary morning yoga class. I'll let Emily, our Conference Services Manager and Certified Yoga Instructor, know that you enjoyed it. Thank you for the feedback about the size of your guestroom. For those guests that are looking for more spacious accomodations we do offer a large number of suites of approximately 550 square feet. These suites feature a living area and bedroom separated by glass French doors. Thank you very much for staying with us and I hope we see you again soon.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is by far the best hotel I have ever stayed at. Not only is it impeccably clean and beautifully decorated, but the staff was extremely kind and accomodating. There is a free happy hour every night with different tasty treats, they are pet friendly, and you may take a complimentary bike whenever you want (just don't keep it overnight). The design of the room was so unique and absolutely lovely and we even received a complimntary goldfish companion! I really can't say enough good things about this hotel. If you have the chance, stay here. It is in the middle of everything, too. We we were walking distance to so many bars and restaurants in Portland, and biking distance to so much more.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for the great feedback about your recent stay at Hotel Monaco Portland. I was especially happy to read the nice comments about our staff. I'm glad you had the opportunity to join our complimentary evening wine reception and take advantage of our complimentary bike fleet. Thank you for staying with us and I hope we see you again soon.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Went for a little family vacation with our 1 yr old and choose the Monaco due to tripadvisor reviews....100% satisfied with our stay.
-Hotel is cool, funky and in a good location
-All the staff were friendly and went the extra mile
-Our room had the crib as requested, but also a little care pack for our child, plus the yoga mats we wanted
-Their restaurant was great; nobody batted an eye at our 1 yr old being a 1 yr old in a restaurant, in fact our server Rusty made sure he had a little snack right away to keep him occupied

I will be coming back here no question.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hotel Monaco Portland on tripadvisor. I appreciate the great feedback. Thank you for the nice comments about our staff. I'm glad that they arranged for a crib and toiletries for your child and that Rusty in Red Star provided a timely snack. Thank you for staying and I hope we'll see you again next time you're in town.