“A Tired Hotel”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco in Portland at the end of June. This was the last hotel during our PNW tour of Seattle, Astoria, Eugene and Portland. We had high hopes of this hotel after reading the many reviews on this site and after staying at several Kimpton hotels (in DC, San Francisco, and San Diego) and were disappointed by the service and amenities provided.
Arrival: We pulled up in front of the hotel on 6/29 in our rental car. The bellman was not concerned about our arrival at all (unlike all of the other hotels that we visited on our journey). I got out of the car to ask if it was ok to park our car there while I checked in. He told me that I could pull into the parking garage (no signs indicate this) and get the car valet parked before I checked in. He didn't seem concerned at all that I pulled up while he wasn't busy at all on a busy street to inquire about check in. The valet parking guys were laid back and again didn't seem overly concerned about the whole process. Whatever. The guy who checked us in at the hotel was wonderful. He is a new employee and was eager to help. My only complaint about the check in process was we were never asked about whether or not we wanted a paper. Pretty minor. Our room was not ready (we checked in really early so we were expecting that) so we had our bags stored. We toured the area and were called by the hotel when our room was ready. We were never offered a map of the area or given recommendations on places to go and see while waiting for our room. This was offered up in each town we visited before coming to Portland. Our bags were not taken to our room (like in other hotels) and we had to wait about 10 minutes to get our bags and then haul them up to our room.

Room: The room was disappointing on many levels. The room has a poor use of space. There was so much "flair / propaganda" around the room that it left little room for personal items! We did not have enough drawers to unpack our things (one was filled with an overpriced minibar), the lounge table had a Kimpton display, tourist magazines, and a huge coffee service tray that we moved from the bathroom. The cabinet has highly overpriced minibar items (wine, chips, chocolate, and personal intimacy items), and the bathroom has the coffee maker and tray of lotions/conditioners/ etc.). The shower / tub is dated, the sink area is cramped, and the hair dryer is on its last leg. The wifi service is free if you are a Kimpton rewards member, which is nice. The bed is very comfortable and the sheets are crisp and clean. The HVAC system is annoying as you can hear a "drip, drip, drip" on a periodic basis. I have no idea what that is from.

Location: The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the Pearl District and Powell Books. Very convenient. It is also a quick drive to I-5.

All in all, this is a good hotel but not the 5 starts that many people have rated it. We are disappointed in the service and the up-datedness of the room. For the price that we are paying for this hotel and our previous experience at other Kimpton hotels, we expected better.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Diane A
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you for the feedback about your recent stay at Hotel Monaco Portland. Thank you for the feedback about our front door and valet staff. I have shared your comments with our guest services manager and we will discuss them at our upcoming guest services meeting. Our valet parking area is located on site, below our hotel, so that guests may retrieve their vehicles at their leisure and protected from weather. I apologize that there was no sign present explaining the location of our valet parking area. I am sorry that our front desk staff did not ask which paper you prefer to receive and they did not offer you a map or entertainment options. I have shared your comments with our front desk manager and together we will work with our front desk staff to make sure that you experience is not repeated. Thank you for the feedback about the storage and mini bar items in your guestroom. I am sorry about the lack of storage. Please be assured that we are always happy to arrange for additional storage while you are with us. We are also happy to remove or lock mini bars for those guests who do not wish to have access to those amenities during their time with us. Thank you again for staying, and for the comments about improvements that can be made. We truly appreciate your feedback and hope we'll have the opportunity to see you again.

Craig Thompson

Write a ReviewReviews (3,209)

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Had been tempted to stay at the stylish Nines, but went instead for the slightly more quirky Hotel Monaco and did not regret it.

Why? Whilst both have a great central location, the personal-touch and super-friendly staff at the Hotel Monaco make it standout. Upon arrival, we discovered that the hotel was hosting / co-sponsoring a dog modelling contest and the extremely-friendly concierge (Spencer) very kindly arranged for us to have tickets at very short notice. (Thank you Spencer - it was a great evening and very entertaining).

Whilst we don't own a dog, the fact that the hotel was dog-friendly and had a number of very well-behaved 4-legged guests gave it a very "home-from-home' relaxed feeling that you don't get in many city centre hotels. For example, how many hotels have a resident 4-legged Head of Guest Relations - the delightful Timmy?

The rooms were also immaculate and well-sized, fitted with stylish decor.

Hotel gym was adequate but could do with slightly newer equipment. Having said that, it was never over-busy so that is a bonus.

Overall, could not find fault with this hotel so seem to go out of their way to be welcoming, giving you that home-from-home service in a stylish setting. Staying there was one of the highlights of our holiday. Thank you again Spencer.

Room Tip: Try to avoid being on the side of the hotel opposite Macy's; could be a little noisy with their...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and for the great feedback about your time with us. I'm happy to read that you had the opportunity to attend Portland's Next Top Dog Model, an event hosted at Hotel Monaco that benefits Oregon Humane Society. Thank you especially for the nice comments about Spencer. I'll be sure to share them with him as I know he'll be pleased. Thank you also for the feedback about our fitness center. We are hoping to update the equipment in the fitness center soon. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope we have the opportunity to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was recently vacationing in Portland for a 3rd time and chose to stay at the Monaco again. As usual, very friendly staff always willing to assist with a smile on their face. The front desk, the bellman, the doorman, and even the valets are always willing to assist, give suggestions, and even engage in friendly conversation.

Stayed in a large spacious room, which is unusual in a lot of city hotels. Room was divided between a bedroom and living room via sliding glass doors (pretty sure I had the same room on my last trip). On the clear days, I even had a great view of Mt. Hood in the distance.

The location of the hotel is great. Walking distance to plenty of food carts and tourist attractions, even the Pearl District isn't more than a 15 minute walk away. Voodoo Doughnut and stumptown coffee and just around the corner. Easy access to bridges and if you do decide to take day trips to places like Cannon Beach or Hood River, the valet stand has printed direction cards.

This was my first time back since the hotel was renovated and all they did was improve on a good thing. A few little things that keep my coming back to Kimpton is the free wine hour every evening. I also like how this hotel has the valet stand underground. When we arrived it was raining and it certainly is nice to be able to unload your bags someplace dry, which a lot of hotels in Portland do not offer. There are plenty of other high end hotels I could have chosen from in Portland, but I doub't they could compare to the Monaco.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the great comments about your recent stay at Hotel Monaco Portland. Thank you especially for the nice feedback about our staff. I'll be sure to share your review with them as I know they'll be pleased. I'm glad you enjoyed our guestrooms, location, and recent renovation. Thank you again for staying and I hope we see you again soon.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was our first stay at a Kimpton but it won't be the last. I cannot rave enough about the friendly helpful hotel staff! They were so helpful with directions, recommendations of restaurants and things to do, faxing and mailing. They were always smiling and seemed genuinely happy to help. The hotel itself was fun and exquisitely decorated. We found it incredibly clean. If I have one criticism it would be the need for bed pillows of different firmness types; they were a little firm for me, and they may have had them available -- I never asked. One great touch was the availability of bicycles for guest use, which was wonderful on a beautiful Portland Saturday! You will not be disappointed with your stay!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing Hotel Monaco Portland for your first stay at a Kimpton Hotel. I was very pleased to read the nice comments about our staff and I'll be sure to share your review with them. I'm glad you had the opportunity to use bikes on Saturday morning - the weather was certainly excellent for a Portland bike ride. I am sorry that the pillows in your room was too firm. We do have other pillows to choose from next time you stay with us. Thanks again!

Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Very nice hotel. Awesome service. Also a great military rate. This was very nice but just not quite sure it's the best hotel in Portland. Will expand our horizons and see. But definitely recommend it and if you have a military ID you can't beat the rate. Close to light rail so easy trip to and from airport.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank JudgeMunch

Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland. I'm happy to read that you were able to take advantage of our military rate. I hope you'll have the opportunity to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

One of the best hotels we've ever stayed at! Exceptionally friendly and helpful staff. Beautiful over-sized uniquely decorated and comfortable rooms. Easy, central location to walk to many good shops and restaurants, including VooDoo Donuts and Mother's. Great fitness room with cardio and weight machines -- and hoola hoops! The whole family loved the hotel and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and for the nice comments on tripadvisor. Thank you especially for the nice feedback about our staff. I'll be sure to share your review with them as I know they'll be pleased. I enjoyed reading the comments about our guestrooms, location, and on-site fitness room. I'm glad you took advantage of the hoola hoops! Thank you again and I hope we see you again soon.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I've been staying at the hotel for a week on business (22nd-29th June).

The room I got was extremely nice. Lovely sized bed, lounge area (not all rooms have this) which is separated by sliding doors to the bedroom, which was a nice feature. The bathroom is beautifully done and features plenty of products & delights.

The design is quirky & unique but the features are still very modern, which is a great balance.

The hotel is famous for catering for dogs, and there is a wonderful family feel about the hotel, which is all centred around the 'hotel dog' called Timmy. Needless to say, its not overdone, and if you're not a dog lover, the chances are, you wont even notice them around.

Every night/ morning in the hotel, they are offering wine sessions & other really nice community events in the lobby area which was a lovely touch. The staff were first class, and the location of the hotel is perfect for being in the heart of the town.

My only negative was the food.

If like me, you're a fan of breakfasts... you'll be disappointed.

No breakfast buffet here. Instead, a very limited menu of things to order, which takes a while to arrive at your table. The restaurant area is never that busy, but yet it always feels understaffed. In that regard, I've walked out of the restaurant on one occasion during the week due to poor service. Be warned, if you're looking for a lovely big buffet... look elsewhere!

Otherwise, I'd highly recommend the hotel for breaks away, long stays or business!

I was also here to witness a big event for the hotel... Portlands Top Dog Model. It was a fantastic event, and really showed off a community spirit.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank adamfield83

Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and for the nice comments about your time with us. I'm glad you you enjoyed your suite. Hotel Monaco Portland is very pet friendly and pets are welcome on our second and third floors. Timmy, our Director of Pet Relations, is a retired guide dog. We are very lucky to have him here at Hotel Monaco. Our complimentary evening wine reception takes place each night in our lobby from 5 PM to 6 PM. Thank you for the feedback about your experience at our Restaurant, Red Star Tavern. I'll be sure to share your review with our restaurant manager and chef. Thank you again for staying and I hope we'll see you again soon.