“Our best vacations EVER....”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I'm not the kind of person that writes reviews, but this was BY FAR the best hotel experience we've had as a family (Mom, dad and 4 kiddos) .Last year we went to Disneyland, and we stayed at the (overpriced) Disneyland hotel (Yes, we want to live the Disney experience at its best). Ok, now my kids prefer to go back to Portland instead of Disneyland, nothing more to say, huh?. We got one of the small suites (Not sure about the name) charming, colorful rooms, full of patterns. with two queen beds in the main room and one queen sofa bed in the "family room", two good sized LCD tv's, the room was clean, confortable, perfect. We asked for a yoga mat and a yoga block, a crib (I get a complimentary baby travel set of jhonsons products) a microwave, and the goldfish. We were welcomed with four stuffed bears for the kids, they were HAPPY. The staff was SUPER helpful and friendly!! I wish I had the name of this cute dark haired young woman in the front desk. She was beyond helpful!...GREAT location. We stayed there last month, for the easter weekend, so,each one of the kids get their easter basket and went to lobby for the hotel egg hunting, AWESOME. They get candies, chocolates, lettuce seeds for gardening (the best) one dollar bills, jewerly, stuffed animals, and special prizes (two kimpton leopard kids bath robes) .I'm looking forward to the next stay here!

1  Thank Cecilia S
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thank you for the TripAdvisor review and the excellent feedback. I'm very happy to read that your children are excited to come back to Portland and that they enjoyed their time with us. Our guests and staff always look forward to our annual Easter Egg hunt. It sounds like the Easter Bunny provided some nice goodies this year. Thank you again for staying with us and I hope we see you again next time you're in Portland.

Craig Thompson

Write a ReviewReviews (3,196)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This may have been the best or at least in the top few hotel experiences we've had. The room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. Every single staff member was friendly and helpful. The location was perfect, right in the middle of downtown, so we could walk almost everywhere we wanted to go. The attached restaurant was quality and just wonderful. This place is a bit expensive, but it felt worth it and not for it's quality and location in Portland. And...they welcome pets. Our little dog was like a queen on the big pillow bed they supplied for her with her own dishes, new play toy, and organic treat. We've never stayed in a city with her before. Had to walk 3 blocks to a park for her to take care of business, but they were short blocks:) There was wine in the evening and hot chocolate in the morning in the lobby. This place is just great. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review. Thank you for the excellent feedback about our staff, guestrooms, and location. I was happy to read that your dog enjoyed the stay at Hotel Monaco as well. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My family and Boston Terrier stayed at Hotel Monaco for our final days in Portland. We lived in Portland for 11 years so this was a wonderful way to end our experience. We stayed in the King Suite and the decor was an explosion of pattern. Beautiful carpeting, wallpaper and chairs. We were welcomed with a doggy toy and bed for our beloved pet. The location is in the center of the city with my favorite small coffee shop (standing room only), Spella, within steps of the hotel. Spella has the most amazing chai in the city.

When we return, I would definitely book us a room here again.

Room Tip: Parking is a rip off at $38 dollars a night. My husband found a parking garage at ODS tower (Nordstr...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for ending your time in Portland at Hotel Monaco. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for bringing your Boston Terrier along as well. I agree that Spella is excellent. Their baristas are friendly and make fabulous coffee. We're very lucky to have them a stones-throw from our front doors.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Hands down, this is one of the best hotels in Portland. The hotel presents itself with a chic vibe, but retains a level of service that is warm and inviting. You can literally feel romance when you walk into the lobby. Each of the rooms are uniquely decorated, so even after multiple stays, I've still not been in a room that looked the same both times. The attached restaurtant, Red Star, has an outstanding happy hour with excellent bites and drink specials. Additionally, there are many conference rooms and meeting rooms which make great spaces for work related events, or even to host a party for friends or family.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have huge windows allowing extra light during the day, and beautiful city views at nigh...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco and for the excellent TripAdvisor review. I truly appreciate the great feedback and was happy to read that you enjoyed our guestrooms and Red Star Tavern & Roast House - our onsite restaurant. Thank you also for sharing the information about our meeting space. Hotel Monaco has 7,778 square feet of flexible meeting space appropriate for a variety of meetings and events. Thank you again and we hope to see you next time you're in Portland.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel has really wonderful whimsical decor and ambience -- the lobby has a beautiful grand piano, red walls, an alabaster white fireplace...my room had a lamp with duck feet as a stand!

But they don't sacrifice professionalism for whimsy. Everything is perfectly ordered, comfortable, clean, and with excellent service -- especially important for me with my medical dietary needs. Also, within walking distance of tons of stuff.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrades.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and for the nice comments about your time with us. Thank you especially for the great feedback about our decor. I enjoyed reading about our professionalism, service, and location. I hope we have the opportunity to see you again the next time you're in Portland.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Took a business trip with the family (two young kids). We were all well-taken care of, pampered, and treated well. The hotel is beautifully appointed and exceptionally clean. The bathrooms and beds are immaculate. Free tea/coffee/happy hour, exceptional fitness center, friendly staff, and kid-friendly. The kids particularly enjoyed the nintendo wii and goldfish in the room. I will certainly come back.

Room Tip: higher the better
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing Hotel Monaco for your trip to Portland. I'm glad your family enjoyed their time with us. I enjoyed reading the nice comments about our complimentary evening wine reception, coffee and tea service, fitness center, and staff. I'm glad you children had an opportunity to play Wii. Thanks again.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I loved the pictures online but the actual hotel is even more beautiful. I felt like I was staying in a Jonathan Adler store - which is very much my style. The service was wonderful and especially great since I was sick and they made me feel at home. I would most definitely return again when I come to Portland. They even gave me a $10 "Raid the MiniBar" card so I grabbed some nuts and fruit on the way out for the trip home. LOVE it there!

Room Tip: If you can stay on the top floor I recommend it.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Hotel Monaco Portland. I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff took good care of you while you weren't feeling well. I hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again soon.