“Very pleasant stay with a few quirks”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #3 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Chicago
“Very pleasant stay with a few quirks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Note: This rating really should come in at 4.5 stars, but since I don't have that option I'm giving it 5.

I was generally very impressed with Hotel Monaco and the charming, pleasant, and helpful front desk and valet staff. I spent 4 nights in a king deluxe room, which was quite large and comfortable. As an "in touch" Kimpton member (I highly recommend applying for this free membership), I had free wifi and, as a AAA member, I had free parking. Based on other tripadvisor reviews, I asked for a quite room on the 8th (hypoallgenic) floor (I stayed in 810). It was, indeed, extremely quiet and I was very surprised to be completely free of allergy issues despite the presence of dogs and smokers on other floors.

The location was perfect for walking all around downtown and pearl areas and a quick drive or train ride elsewhere. Also, the hotel provides yoga kits and videos as well as some free yoga classes and bike rides. I didn't have time to participate in the group activities but loved doing yoga in my room.

I did have a few minor hiccups. Though the concierge was lovely, he had agreed to leave information for me on a trip to the gorge and he never did. That left me in a position of having to plan my day trip in the morning, knocking a block of time out of the actual trip. I was also given incorrect information about the amount of time needed to travel to and visit the Japanese gardens and Washington Park. I waste an hour getting there and turning right back, as there wasn't enough time to actually walk from the red line stop to the gardens and return to the hotel on time. That was annoying. I also was perplexed by the maid service. The room was certainly clean, but for some reason, it wasn't straightened: pillows I'd tossed off the bed during the night were left on the floor, my robe was left where I dropped it, etc. it wasn't annoying enough to take time to complain, but it was odd. I also had very poor service in the restaurant, the one time I ate there. There were only three tables of customers at the time, so I don't know what to attribute this to, other than my relatively light meal/tab (about $22). On that note, the cerviche was so tasteless it was indelible but the spinach side was out of this world!

All in all, I had a phenomenal visit to Portland and really enjoyed the hotel, despite the minor issues above. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on the hypoallgenic (8th floor). Room 810 was great.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TopazTunes
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland. I was happy to read that you enjoyed our service and staying on our hypo-allergenic floor. Thank you for the feedback about the hiccups that you experienced with day-trip planning and directions to Washington Park. I have shared your review with our Front Office Manager and together we will work with our concierge and staff members to make sure that they have up-to-date information on popular attractions in and around town. We will also discuss the importance of follow-through. Thank you also for the comments about housekeeping and our on-site restaurant. I have discussed the importance of straightening all guestrooms with the housekeeper that cleans our 8th floor guestrooms and have shared your comments about Red Star with our restaurant manager. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance. I hope we see you again next time you are in Portland.

Craig Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Everything from the minute we walked in the door of this eclectic and colorfully designed hotel was fantastic!
The doorman, valet and reception desk service was professional and very friendly. We were upgraded to a king suite and loved the extra living space it allowed us. We had everything we needed and if we didn't, the staff would have made sure we did.
As the hotel is centrally located downtown, we just left the car in the car park and walked everywhere. If required, there are several transit stops within minutes of the front door. Super easy!
We have no complaints about the Kimpton Monaco...it was perfect.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and for the TripAdvisor review. I was happy to read the nice comments about our service. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you have the opportunity to visit us down in Portland again soon.

San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

We recently stayed at the Hotel Monaco and were overall pleased with it. We traveled with our 22 month old daughter and upon check in they sent up a fish to keep in the room for the duration of our stay. She was delighted! The room was a bit pricey (we actually paid more to stay here than a room at The Nines), but it was worth it. We also enjoyed the Voodoo doughnuts and coffee in the morning and wine in the evening. The only downside was that there was pet hair on the couch from the previous guest (this is a pet friendly hotel).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland. I enjoyed reading the nice feedback in your review. I'm glad that your daughter enjoyed the in-room goldfish and that you had the opportunity to try some VooDoo donuts. Thank you for the comment about the pet-hair on the couch in your room. I have shared your review with our Executive Housekeeper. We will work together to make sure that your experience is not repeated. I hope we have the opportunity to see you again next time you're in Portland.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

Here is what I love about this hotel:

-- Timmy (and his predecssor Art)
-- The staff -- from valets to GM
-- The size of the rooms
-- The central location
-- Making new friends during the wine hour

Do they make mistakes? Sure. But here is the thing that keeps me coming back and sending friends to this hotel: most of the time everything is perfect and when there is a mistake, they do something other businesses don't -- they fix it!

Can you guys take over for Congress?

And the room renovations? BOLD!! Thank you for taking a risk and creating decor that drives conversation, including the print opposite the bed that appears to be a cross between a Georgia O'Keefe (uh hmmm) and Richter Scale readout. Love someone's sense of humor!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great comments and for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland. Thank you for the feedback about Timmy, our staff, our complimentary evening wine reception, and our recent renovation. I hope we have the opportunity to see you again soon.

Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here numerous times on trips to Portland. Usually with our dog. We're always treated like VIPs, though we certainly aren't. Friendly bellmen. The front desk staff are some of the best around. Caring and efficient. Had a problem with the WiFi that they immediately corrected. Very clean and modern rooms with alot of amenities. Quiet rooms A number of dogs with owners but well behaved. No breakfast bar but I'll take the afternoon wine tastings in the beautiful lobby over that any day. Very centrally located in downtown Portland. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the TripAdvisor review and for the nice comments about your recent stay with us. Thank you especially for the nice comments about our front desk staff. I agree that they are the best around. I was happy to read that the wireless issue was resolved. We look forward to seeing you (and your dog) the next time you're in town.

Buckley, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

I travel frequently for business and have stayed in a variety of hotels across the country ranging from Marriott to Waldorf Astoria/Four Seasons. Nothing compares to the level of service and atmosphere that Hotel Monaco Portland offers! The building is a restored classic with tons of personality and is in a great location in downtown. The level of service their staff provides is AMAZING - better than anything I have ever experienced at the finest hotel chains in the country. I have stayed here 5 times in the last 6 months and have had a variety of rooms. Every room has been clean & free from odors (I am very picky!). The décor is fun and unique, the rooms are large and beds are comfortable. They are "pet friendly" but you would never know by how clean the place is. My last stay, I had to bring my dog. They had a plush dog bed and treats waiting for him in the room when I arrived, nice touch! On-site parking is easy and secure and the hotel's restaurant: Red Star Tavern is far from the average "tavern". The food is high quality and diverse - perfect for someone that appreciates a good meal. The dining atmosphere is great: feel comfortable in jeans or a dress. There are many places to sleep in Portland, but if you want an EXPERIENCE, stay at Hotel Monaco....you will do more than just sleep at this hotel! ***Make sure you check their specials; you can find EXCELLENT rates on rooms!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dawn W
Thank you very much for the great feedback about your recent stays at Hotel Monaco Portland. I enjoyed reading the generous comments about our service and atmosphere. I'm glad you had the opportunity to bring your pet with you and that you enjoy Red Star Tavern. I'll be sure to pass your comments on to the chef and restaurant manager. Hopefully we'll have the opportunity to see you again soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Great Hotel!!! A previous reviewer summed it up very accurately by saying "This is one of the BEST hotel experiences I have ever had anywhere in the world." Excellent staff & service, and nice rooms. Their fitness room is well equipped and is spacious enough so several people can be stretching/exercising on mats at the same time. Their restaurant is also superb, I especially enjoyed their ceviche.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for staying with us and for the excellent review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed reading the feedback about our complimentary fitness room. I'll be sure to pass your nice comments about Red Star Tavern on to our restaurant manager and chef. Thank you and I hope we'll see you again soon.