Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
3,253 results
All reviewsred starking suitewine hourhappy houranimal print robessocial hourwine receptionliving roommini barevery eveningvoodoo donutsheart of downtownwine tastingvalet staffthe pearlsitting areafood carts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is one of the nicest hotels where we have had the pleasure of being a guest. We can't say enough good things about it. The location is terrific, staff is wonderful, hotel is very clean, lobby area is very inviting and the guest rooms are top of the line. The amenities offered and available were over the top - even their complimentary bath robes are fun! We had a king suite and the ability to close off this area from the sitting area was very nice, (others were on the pull out queen sofa.)The decor in the entire hotel is very appealing. We would highly recommend Hotel Monaco to others, and as our son recently moved to Portland I know we will be return guests.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Thank you for the nice comments about your recent stay at Hotel Monaco Portland. I am happy to read that your son moved to Portland and that you'll be staying with us again. That's great! Thank you especially for the nice comments about our staff. I agree that they are excellent. See you soon we hope.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Our family of four (two adults, a 14 yo and 9 yo) stayed here for a 5 night stay in March. It was so fun. The service is outstanding. The wine reception creates a great atmosphere. For children at the reception, they had video games, canvases for painting, and because it was Easter weekend "Peep Art" with the marshmallow candy. We were on the 7th floor which I recommend. We started on the 3rd floor, and asked to be move to the 7th floor and were graciously accommodated. They recommended great restaurants and quickly reserved tables if necessary. The valets and door men were quick to offer directions. We only ate at the restaurant once for breakfast and it was fine. But with so many fun restaurants within walking distance (and a Starbucks too), you should venture out as well. If you don't like dogs, you should probably steer clear as this is pet-friendly. Always dogs in the lobby and elevator. For us, it was great fun but you should be aware if that's not your thing.

Room Tip: Higher is better. Dogs seems to be grouped on lower floors. Since we didn't have a dog we moved higher.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Thank you for reviewing Hotel Monaco Portland on TripAdvisor. I'm glad you enjoyed our Peep Art station in the Living Room Lobby. It was fun to see what our guests created with their Peeps. I was happy to read that our staff honored your request for a room on the 7th floor. You are correct that our pets do stay on our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floor. Our 8th floor is completely hypo-allergenic and is down-free, pet-free, and smoke-free. Thank you for the nice comments.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife & I celebrated a recent birthday visiting Portland for the first time & stayed at the Kimpton Monaco. We loved the friendly atmosphere & the quirky charm of the hotel. All the staff are great & very helpful. They were nice enough to send champagne to our room to celebrate my birthday. The room decor was quirky & the bed was so comfortable. Do eat at the Red Star Tavern, great food, we had the chicken for two, it was amazing & Melissa our server was friendly, charming & helpful, everything you want in an server. Mothers Bistro nearby is great for breakfast. Great location for the hotel & you can't beat free wine hour, we met new friends there.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing Hotel Monaco for your birthday celebration. I hope you enjoyed your first trip to Portland. I am happy to hear that our front desk sent up sparkling wine and that you enjoyed your meal and server at our on-site restaurant, Red Star Tavern. I'll be sure to share your comments with her. I hope we'll have the opportunity to host a future birthday celebration.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Obviously taste is subjective and hotel choices are the same. I was a little disappointed by the Hotel Monaco where I spent three nights just for fun. My first room was on the second floor and was small, dark and smelled very strongly of sanitizer/perfume. I immediately went downstairs and was graciously changed to a much nicer room on the 7th floor with two windows, no odor and considerably more spacious. But I had some problems. The second day I came home and my door key wouldn't work. I went downstairs and they remagnitized it and when I went back up it still didn't work. A porter could not get in, nor could a maid, so they called an engineer. He came up but without the correct materials to repair the door. Finally, it was solved and I was given two bottles of wine and many apologies. Unfortunately, my door key did not work on at least two other occassions and I kept having to get it recharged (it was not near my cell phone or anything else that could affect it) Lots more apologies. Also the second day I did not get new hand towels from the two which I left on the floor and my trash can was not emptied. On my final day I got a hand towel with a lipstick imprint on it. Then on my last day I didn't get my wake-up call until six minutes after the specified time (which was 4:00 a.m. and I had to leave by 4:30 a;m;) When I got downstairs to get my cab which I had ordered the day before, they told me there was no record of my asking for a cab. (And I had).

So I didn't find the hotel up to snuff. I did not like the price tags on all the items in the room--it looks very tacky. I also think the decor is a little over the top although it sort of grows on you.

The bed was very comfortable and the room was very, very quiet.

The wine reception is fun. But the restaurant also had very poor service. I was given a free glass of wine because my chicken took 25 minutes instead of ten and again I had a theater event to attend and had told the waitress about it. I would have ordered something else if I had known I wouldn't get my food until I was ready to leave.

The staff are very sweet and try to be helpful but they really don't have the experience/sophistication that a four-star hotel demands. I got a lot of apologies but that isn't really what I wanted.

I did enjoy Timmy, the dog mascot who greets the visiting dogs and sometimes attends the wine reception.

Would I stay at the Monaco again? No. It did not live up to my expectations

Room Tip: Do not take any room ending with a 2. My first tiny room was 202. I moved to 709 which was much nicer (except for the door problems). HIgher up is better unless you have a dog. I had a deluxe queen.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank riddett

Thank you for the TripAdvisor review. I was happy to read that our front desk staff upgraded you to a room on a higher floor when requested. That was absolutely the correct thing to do. Thank you for the feedback about the issues with your guestroom door. While I am happy to read that our staff apologized for the issue the door should have been fixed in a timely manner. If it was not possible to fix the door our staff should have offered to move you to a room with a working door. Thank you also for the comments about the towels and garbage can. Your towels should have been replaced and the garbage can should have been emptied. I have shared your feedback with our Executive Housekeeper and we will make sure that this does not happen again. Our wake-up calls are completed by our front desk staff and I am sorry that yours was not delivered promptly at 4:00AM. I have spoken with our night auditors about this.

I truly appreciate your feedback about our stay with us. I do hope you'll give us another chance.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I booked this hotel the day we were to arrive. I found it online for $144.00 a night. When I called the hotel, they quoted a slightly higher price, but said if they found this price online that they could honor it. Sure enough, they did and gave us a $25.00 in house credit for us finding a lower rate.
This is the friendliest hotel I have ever stayed at. I searched for pet-friendly hotels. This hotel is GEARED for pets. They offer pet sitting for $10 per hour. They have homemade dog treats on the counter. We came in the first night and found they had left us a dog bed, food and water dishes (although we brought our own) and a new toy for our dog Tessa! The front desk has a retired service dog named Tim that greets everyone and hosts a wine and beer (and dog) reception nightly. They display your dogs name on a chalk board and all the staff call your dog by name and pet them. There are green spaces a few blocks away as well.
The hotel offers coffee (iced and hot) and Voo-Doo doughnuts in the morning complementary. They have a door man and umbrellas for guests to walk around town with. They provide bicycles if you prefer. The rooms were nice and very clean.
I can't say enough about our experience here. I will look for their locations in the future!

1  Thank Shelly W

Thank you for the excellent TripAdvisor review. I am happy to read that we were able to match the lower price that you found online. That's excellent. I'm glad that you were able to bring your pet along on your trip and that it was an enjoyable stay. Timmy is an excellent lobby dog and makes sure to great all of the pets that come through the hotel. He also loves visiting guests at wine hour. Thank you again for the nice comments and I hope we see you again soon.