“Best hotel”

Ranked #2 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Corvallis, Oregon, United States
“Best hotel”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This hotel was so nice, unique, and accommodating. I loved how pet friendly they are, and the service they gave was top of the line! I will ALWAYS stay here! There is no free wifi and the mini bar is WAY expensive but other than that, my absolute favorite hotel to stay at!

Room Tip: Corner king was awesome, two walls of windows was really fun!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for the tripadvisor review and for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland. Thank you for the nice comments about our service and pet-friendliness. Complimentary wireless access and a $10 mini bar credit are included in our guest loyalty program, Kimpton In Touch. It's easy to sign up on our website or next time you stay with us - which will hopefully be soon!

Craig Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (705)
Roseville, California
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is our hotel of choice when in Portland. The service is amazing. From the minute you walk in the door (or valet) they make you feel welcome and important. Valets are quick, friendly and knowledgable, and the front desk staff is wonderful. If you have dogs, this is the place to stay. All of the dogs that I have encountered are well behaved and the 2nd floor is designated for guests with dogs. The place feels festive (Christmas there is amazing!), there's fun decor, comfy beds, large rooms, and lobby is beautiful. I booked a deal online with the hotel that included parking and I could not find a better deal in town for the quality received, not to mention their location is central to shopping and the Max. We can't wait to visit Portland again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and for the nice comments. Thank you especially for the nice comments about our valets and front desk staff. I agree that they are the best around. I'm happy to read that you enjoyed our location and decor and hope we'll see you again soon.

Colorado
Reviewed April 1, 2013

When I told friends in Portland where I was staying they (half) jokingly called me a hotel snob. Originally booked at the Hilton, I couldn’t resist switching it up to stay at the Monaco simply based on their glowing reviews. But while their accolades may be deserved from others, nothing--besides quirky rooms--about my stay was anything I haven’t gotten at myriad chain hotels.
The hotel staff is cordial in a this is my job kind-of way; excepting an incident at their wine hour. I’ll just say wait for the staff to arrive before reaching for a wine or beer;they tend to get testy if you attempt to make your own. I did advise the manager of this and he was quite apologetic.

The rooms are quirky—which is a nice change—and a wonderful size. If you like or need your space this hotel will cover you. There’s nothing special about the linens or towels—similar to almost every other hotel I’ve stayed in. The C.O. Bigelow soaps & shampoos are a nice touch.

Location is wonderful (Portland is quite walkable) and easy to get to from the MAX trains. But truthfully you could get this at many nice downtown hotels.

The stand-out for me was the Red Star Tavern—one of the best hotel restaurants I’ve experienced. Everything was well prepared and tasty (I'd buy their granola!), the staff was friendly, and they offer a nice happy hour with a good selection of local beers and wine.

I’d most likely stay here again if the price was comparable to similar hotels.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland. I'm glad that you enjoyed our guest rooms, location, and Red Star Tavern and Roast House (our on-site restaurant). Thank you for the feedback about your experience at wine hour. I have shared your comments with our staff and will make sure that your experience is not replicated. Thank you for the review and I hope we see you again next time you're in Portland.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

The Hotel Monaco was such a fantastic, splurge for our first vacation without children. We decided to celebrate our anniversary in Portland because we heard it was lovely there. I found the Hotel Monaco by chance online and it was the best chance happening. We were contacted by the hotel prior to our arrival, given amazing coffee spot suggestions and to our surprise upgraded to a suite and greeted with a bottle of champagne. The funky, Turkish lounge with happy hour was delightful. Supremely located, we could walk to anything we hoped for, or hopped on the tram. Thank you Hotel Monaco!

Room Tip: We recommend the King Suite
1 Thank smhenkel
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Congratulations on your first vacation without children. Sounds like fun! I was very pleased to read that you were contacted by our staff before you arrived and that you were upgraded and given a bottle of champagne. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you'll have the opportunity to see you again soon.

Federal way
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Great pet friendly hotel! Would recommend to all pet lovers traveling with their pets. Wonderful location. The bed though was not all that clean. Found black bark looking stuff under the cover at the edge of the bed. The remote control were really sticky. The valet scratched my car door. Wish they had to option to self park. Loved the happy hour wine tasting though. Timmy the dog greeter was very cool. Didn't see him much though. Overall great hotel for pet lovers.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Cadetshorty
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for the TripAdvisor review and for the nice comments about our pet-friendliness and location. Thank you also for the feedback about the cleanliness of your room. I have shared your comments with our Executive Housekeeper. We will work with our housekeeping staff to make sure that your experience is not repeated. Thank you also for the comments about your car door. Please contact me directly at Hotel Monaco about this incident. (503) 222-0001. Thank you.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco in Portland on a recent trip to tour prospective colleges in the area with my daughter. The eclectic decor is fun and the beds and linens are so comfortable. My favorite staff were the valets! We had a car and made a few trips to local colleges- the valets were so friendly and hard working-and the hotel had pre-printed cards with directions to our destinations. They always asked my daughter what she thought about the colleges upon our return. The location of this hotel is within walking distance of many restaurants. The cost of the parking seemed high though, if we hadn't needed a car for other destinations in Oregon, I would have just used the light rail from the airport and relied on walking and public transportation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing Hotel Monaco Portland for your college-tour base. Thank you also for the excellent comments about our valet staff. I agree that they are excellent and I'll be sure to pass your comments on to them. Hotel Monaco Portland offers secure, on-site valet parking with unlimited in and out privileges. The cost of overnight parking is $38 with a half-price discount for hybrid vehicles. We also offer packages and promotions that include valet parking. Thank you for the feedback about the cost of parking here at Hotel Monaco. It may be time to take another look at our parking prices. Hopefully your daughter will choose Portland for college and we'll have the opportunity to see you again soon.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I only stayed here on night, but I wish I had stayed longer! I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else when I return to Portland. Excellent staff, comfortable rooms, nice "Happy Hour" with local beer and wine, great location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and for reviewing our hotel on tripadvisor. Thank you for the nice comments about our staff, guestrooms, and complimentary evening wine reception. Hopefully next time you stay with us it will be for longer than one night!