“Excellent service, comfort, location”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco in Portland on a recent trip to tour prospective colleges in the area with my daughter. The eclectic decor is fun and the beds and linens are so comfortable. My favorite staff were the valets! We had a car and made a few trips to local colleges- the valets were so friendly and hard working-and the hotel had pre-printed cards with directions to our destinations. They always asked my daughter what she thought about the colleges upon our return. The location of this hotel is within walking distance of many restaurants. The cost of the parking seemed high though, if we hadn't needed a car for other destinations in Oregon, I would have just used the light rail from the airport and relied on walking and public transportation.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thank you for choosing Hotel Monaco Portland for your college-tour base. Thank you also for the excellent comments about our valet staff. I agree that they are excellent and I'll be sure to pass your comments on to them. Hotel Monaco Portland offers secure, on-site valet parking with unlimited in and out privileges. The cost of overnight parking is $38 with a half-price discount for hybrid vehicles. We also offer packages and promotions that include valet parking. Thank you for the feedback about the cost of parking here at Hotel Monaco. It may be time to take another look at our parking prices. Hopefully your daughter will choose Portland for college and we'll have the opportunity to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I only stayed here on night, but I wish I had stayed longer! I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else when I return to Portland. Excellent staff, comfortable rooms, nice "Happy Hour" with local beer and wine, great location.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and for reviewing our hotel on tripadvisor. Thank you for the nice comments about our staff, guestrooms, and complimentary evening wine reception. Hopefully next time you stay with us it will be for longer than one night!

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We recently celebrated an anniversary in Portland with a stay at the Hotel Monaco and could not be more pleased. We were made to feel welcome and taken care of from the email we received before our visit asking about what we may need, to arriving to find we had been upgrade to a suite with Champagne and chocolates to the maps we were sent to help us find our way to a hike. The staff is attentive and authentic, the decor of the hotel could not be more delightful and we will be back. Every suggestion was spot on, every restaurant, coffee shop, neighborhood, bar was just what we were looking for. Our complements to the management and all who helped us make our anniversary one we will always treasure.

Room Tip: Just ask the booking agent and let them know your preferences.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Happy Anniversary from everyone at Hotel Monaco Portland and thank you for staying with us. I was very happy to read that you were upgraded to a suite and that you received champagne upon arrival. Thank you for the nice comments about our staff and decor. Hopefully we'll see you for your next anniversary.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I cannot fully describe how easy and nice this stay was. Our hypo-allergenic room on the 8th floor did wonders for my allergies and after what I thought was a far-fetched request for a bathroom stool for my 3 year old, one was promptly brought to our room. Not only are the people nice here, but they are quick. As in you don't have to explain your request in a million different ways. They figure it out and are cheerful and prompt. The wine hour is nice; my son and I had a great time painting with acrylic paints on a canvas, and checking out the piano playing.

They gave very helpful tips on where to go in the area. My favorite part: the complimentary (you give a donation; and a tip to the awesome valets) bicycles. I had a great time riding around on the cruiser, with a helmet and lock provided too.

I love these hotels.

Room Tip: if you have allergies, and aren't travelling with your dog (they allow dogs! so cute!), as for t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Thank you for reviewing Hotel Monaco Portland on tripadvisor. It's very nice to read that guests have been going out on our fleet of bikes now that the weather is improving. I'm glad that our staff set you up with a stool for your three year old and that you were able to paint at wine hour. Thank you for staying with us and I hope we have the opportunity to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

From the moment we turned off the I-5 into Portland I was in love... The City, Hotel Monaco, the outstanding restaurants and incredibly tasty cocktails -- nothing disappointed.

We pulled up to the hotel around 8:15pm and drove downstairs to the valet. We were greeted by a couple valets that were not only quick and efficient but genuinely kind which we found present all throughout Portland.

After a quick check in we rushed up to get ready for our first night out. Awaiting on the table -- in our well designed room -- was a bottle of chilled bubbly with a couple orange juices incase we decided to save it for morning mimosas. LOVELY touch.

Before we could even start getting ready we started to take photos of our comfortable, clean and well thought out room... Bird wallpaper, grand headboards and unique pieces of furniture. As a restaurant and hotel designer I was impressed.

Throughout our stay we were given great reccomendations by conceirge and valet on the "hot spots" of Portland even offered beach cruisers to ride around town which we took advantage of on the sunny Sunday!

Made it to a handful of restaurants and explored as much as we could... Cant wait to get back!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for reviewing Hotel Monaco Portland and for staying with us. I'm glad you enjoyed your time in town and had the opportunity to use our bikes on a sunny day. It's great to read that our staff set you up with orange juice to go with your sparkling wine. I'm not going to lie . . . a mimosa is sounding pretty good right now! Thank you again for staying with us and I hope we'll have an opportunity to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

The staff is uniformly professional, well informed, warm and welcoming. Every interaction with them was a pleasure from reception to doorman to housekeeping. Lots of great perks like a wonderful yoga class taught by Emily, free bikes, lovely wine and beer hour (with chocolate tasting one night!), coffee and tea in the morning, and those cool leopard robes make this way more than a basic hotel. Kimpton service standard is excellent and the Monaco did not disappoint. the rooms were clean, the beds were fantastic (very comfortable and elegant linens), beautifully scented bath amenities. Any thing you needed they were able (and very willing) to provide. We all loved the concierge, Timmy. He is most accommodating! Great hotel for a gettogether with friends. The rooms are huge!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for the wonderful review and for choosing to stay at Hotel Monaco Portland. I'm happy to read that you had an opportunity to join our complimentary morning yoga class and daily evening wine reception. Thank you also for the nice comments about our staff, guest rooms, and Timmy (out resident lobby dog). I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope we have the opportunity to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Monoco Portland for a few days while on a business trip. I’m glad I did as this is an interesting and comfortable hotel.

When making my reservation it was suggested I join the Kimpton loyalty program, which provided free WIFI and a mini bar credit, adding value to my stay. The hotel contacted me twice by email before my stay to see if I had any special needs or requests, which is very much appreciated. It is only a few short blocks from the light rail stop from the airport and close to many business venues in the heart of the city. Upon my arrival I was pleasantly surprised with a free upgrade to a king suite.

The suite was large, clean and furnished in a tastefully eclectic style. The furniture and bed were comfortable and I got good rest. The wall paper had flying birds giving the rooms an airy, light feeling. The hotel offers an hour of complimentary hosted wine tasting in their Lobby living room with sophisticated music played by a polished piano player, all making for a pleasant time for refreshment.

Everyone at the hotel was helpful and professional. They really wanted their guests to enjoy their stay. There are many thoughtful amenities available. If one is searching for a hotel that is a little different with high standards and good value the Hotel Monoco delivers.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and for the excellent review. I was pleased to read that our staff contacted you before your stay and that you were upgraded to a suite when you checked in. I'm glad that you enjoyed your suite and our complimentary evening wine reception. Thank you also for the nice comments about our staff. I agree and think that they are the best around.