“Incredible Grand Suite”

Ranked #2 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“Incredible Grand Suite”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This place is fantastic... period! I was looking for a place to stay in downtown Portland so I checked my mobile for hotels near my location and found Monaco to be the closest. I walked in to the lobby and was instantly amazed by the theme and overall design. I then went to the front desk and was curious to see their larger rooms so I asked for a King Suite and let them know it was my first time staying and I was only going to be there overnight. The receptionist gave me a complimentary upgrade to the Grand Suite. WOW! When I walked in the suite was complete luxury all around, spacious, elegant and with a beautiful view. They also comped me with a bottle of red wine to enjoy my stay. All in all this is one of the best hotels suites with the best service I've ever been to... simply incredible.

Room Tip: The staff service is great, if attendance is low ask politely for a comped upgrade. You may be lucky...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for choosing Hotel Monaco for your stay in Portland and for the nice Trip Advisor review. We truly appreciate the great feedback! I was very happy to read that our front desk upgraded you to a grand suite when you checked in. That must have been a nice surprise. Thank you for the nice comments and I hope we'll see you again next time you're in the area.

Craig Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (705)
Tacoma, Washington, United States
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

I took a last minute trip down to Portland on a whim. With no hassle at all, I was able to book a room at a greate rate. I was completely surprised by the size of the room. It had a great sitting area with a separate sleeping area. It put the sweet in suite. Incredibly comfy bed that completely swallowed me up. Two HD tvs, although the signal was spotty. The bathroom had great water with hot water streaming from the tap almost immediately. No need to wait for the pipes to warm up here. Standard fare for the amenities, the Fred is a must have after a night of carousing. The 10 dollar raid the mini bar is perfect for this. Another nice touch is the Monaco Bear which is waiting for you in bed. Completely adorable.
The staff is great. They were extremely helpful with restaurant and other recommendations/suggestions. I am definitely staying here next week for St. Patrick's Day weekend.
Also, the night receptionist whose name I can't spell gave an awesome recommendation for late night pizza which was simply amazing.
Kudos all around for confirming my blind faith Kimpton. Love you guys!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Ki C
Thank you for the excellent review and for choosing Hotel Monaco for your last-minute Portland trip. I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your stay we with us and we look forward to seeing you over St. Patrick's Day weekend. See you soon!

General manager
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Everything about this hotel is wonderful. The door men are great, helpful, very knowledgeable. The lobby is wonderful. I came back one afternoon from an outing in the pouring rain with freezing cold feet, and just sat by the fire while warming me feet and reading the paper for an hour - so lovely and relaxing. Then there is the free wine happy hour from 5 to 6 every evening in the lobby where I met a lovely couple from South Caroline. We will definitely stay in touch. The location is perfect - close to Macys and transit. And there is the happy hour in the pub next door which goes on to 8:00 p.m. Cannot say enough good things about this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the Trip Advisor review and the excellent comments. I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had the opportunity to relax in our Living Room Lobby and join our complimentary evening wine reception. It's great that you met a nice couple during your travels as well. I hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again soon.

Vancouver, B.C.
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We have stayed at several Kimpton Hotels in Seattle and New York City but this was are first stay at the Portland Hotel Monaco. We received excellent service from our check-in to a King Suite upgrade to an immediate approval of a one hour late check-out to better meet our travel plans. The suite was in a word - funky - with unusual furniture and crazy lamps and wallpaper. The 5:00 PM wine tasting was a highlight as was the morning Starbucks coffee, hot chocolate and newspaper. The hotel is right in the middle of downtown Portland with easy tram service to and from the bus and train stations. Lots of restaurants and shipping nearby. We walked everywhere. Portland is a very clean and friendly city. We plan to return soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for the Trip Advisor review. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us an especially pleased that you were upgraded to a suite when you arrived. I'm glad that you had an opportunity to attend our complimentary evening wine reception and hope that you'll have a chance to come visit us again soon.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Let me start this off by saying we live in Portland, but stayed at the Hotel Monaco for two nights after our wedding - on our wedding night and one more just as a "mini-moon" before we left on vacation.

I was incredibly stressed trying to pick which hotel for us to stay in on our wedding night, as my original choice was already booked. I had stayed at two different Kimpton hotels previously (in other cities) and based on the Monaco's good reviews, I figured this would be a good option.

We booked the "King Suite" room that has a separate sleeping and living area. We didn't arrive the first night until late - I think around 2 or 3 am - but the front desk staff was really nice and fast to get us upstairs. We had checked our luggage earlier and it was already waiting in our room. Fabulous. The room was just stunning. I have eclectic style myself, so maybe that's why I love it so much, but it's decorated in such a sweet and fun way. Very unique and not an average hotel feel by any means. The hotel staff also gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne for our wedding, which was a nice touch.

We didn't take advantage of some of the perks like the wine tasting, but the staff was so nice and helpful and the room was super clean and lovely. For out of towners, the hotel is located SUPER centrally in downtown Portland. Close to good restaurants and walkable to more trendy neighborhoods like the Pearl and Alphabet District.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank csnyder513
Thank you for choosing Hotel Monaco Portland for your mini-moon. I'm happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Congratulations on your recent wedding and I hope will see you for your first anniversary!

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 7, 2013

When possible, I try to stay at a Kimpton property because of their consistent attention to detail. My business trip to Portland was no different. From check-in to check-out, the service was great at the Hotel Monaco. The location is ideal and the train to the airport is a 5 minute walk away. I look forward to my next stay in Portland. Business or pleasure, it will be at the Monaco!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the Trip Advisor review and for the nice comments about our location, service, and attention to detail. We look forward to seeing you next time you're in Portland.

Seattle
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed at the Monaco Portland for a 4 day meeting which was also held at the hotel. The staff were extremely helpful and polite; went above and beyond to make our group feel welcome and provided lots of little extras that made for a pleasant stay.

Rooms and public have a rather bold and colorful interior decor style (apparently typical of the Kimpton chain) but are clean, spacious, and well maintained. Actually, it was nice to have a cheery and bright interior given the gray skies and rain outside. Hotel has a very good (if somewhat pricey) restaurant; the meeting meals were simple but well prepared as well; room service was prompt and good value for money. The wine reception and live piano music are a pleasant end to the working day. Excellent (if small) fitness center.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for the trip advisor review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Monaco Portland and that your meetings went well. Thank you for the nice comments about our staff, fitness center, and evening wine reception. I hope we have the opportunity to see you again next time you're in Portland.