Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
$186
EmbassySuites.com
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Shilo Inns Portland Airport(Portland)(Great Value!)
$150
$193
Travelocity
$202
3,271 results
All reviewsred starking suitewine hourhappy houranimal print robessocial hourwine receptionliving roommini barevery eveningvoodoo donutsheart of downtownwine tastingvalet staffthe pearlsitting areafood carts
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We came for a lady gaga concert and the hotel staff went above and beyond from the moment we arrived. From helping get extra safty pins, to running our phone to us at the train stop and saftly leaving them for us in our room with a note so we would not loose them. I have never had such great staff! They also had great touchs like the cocktail hour, painting in the lobby, the amazing piano player and food at 2 am! This says nothing about the great beds, the decorations and amazing location. Not to be missed! They made our weekend! Thank you!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Tripchange
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you for the tripadvisor review and for making Hotel Monaco your home-base for the Lady Gaga concert. Our staff certainly enjoyed watching the Little Monsters head out for their show all dressed up. I appreciate your comments about our staff and evening wine reception and I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend with us.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

We came to Portland for a concert and girls' weekend and chose to stay at the Monaco because of their complementary bikes and excellent location. We never got around to using the bikes but have made great use of many other aspects of the hotel, from the funky lobby for a pre-show photo shoot to the parking garage to the workout room. All along the way, the staff has gone out of their way to go above and beyond. Literally, Todd even ran down to the train stop to give us our phone we had left at the counter, only to then take it to our room for us when we decided it best to not take it to the concert. They brought safety pins for costume needs, gave directions and advice, and even took our photos for us. Oh, and did I mention Happy Hour? Thanks Nikki, Todd, Ben, piano man, of course Spencer and so many other awesome employees for making this trip ROCK! Your hotel is amazing :)

Room Tip: You cannot go wrong.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

A girl's weekend and a concert? That sounds like fun! I'm glad the Living Room lobby worked for your pre-concert photos and that our staff was able to assist you with the group shots. Thank you for the great comments about Nicci, Todd, Ben, and Spencer. I will be sure to pass your review on to them and to thank them personally. Hopefully we'll see you again soon for your next girl's weekend.

Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

OK, so I have reviewed this property before. But last night ( or more properly, approximately 2:17 this morning ) a fire alarm went off. This is every persons fear, and it became a reality to me. Seeing staff react in this situation shows just what a facility is.

The Facts: I'm sound asleep, and the alarm comes on stating that a fire had been noted on the floor, and that I needed to leave via a stairwell. I'm on the top floor (10), and it's freezing out. First thought - someone got drunk and pulled the alarm. Well, my rational mind said that there was not a sports team or performer staying there and it was a cold Monday night after a cloudy, drizzly, snowy day. So I got up, got dressed and headed for the stairwell.

The stairwell had a great deal of water pouring down, leading me to believe that there was a fire on the roof. Ultimately, it turned out to be a steam line from the boiler, or something to that event. Old or new, buildings will have issues, and this property seems to be extremely well maintained so its not like it was caused by overt neglect or disrepair. It happened. Once we could return to our rooms my question became "How are they going to handle this?"

My situation was unique, in that I had no appointments this morning. Upon being woken by my phone, I realized the room was freezing (no hot water to heat the air to warm the rooms). Obviously, no hot water. How are they going to handle this? Well, the staff acted professionally from the beginning - here's the breakdown.

The night manager communicated with every guest, letting them know exactly what he did. He did this factually and pleasantly, while staying in constant contact with firemen and his own maintenance staff. He apologized, told us not to worry and that they would have this resolved as soon as was possible. The very instant it was determined to be a maintenance item and not a fire or injury risk, and with the approval of the fire fighters, he immediately announced our ability to return to our rooms safely and apologized for the inconvenience (I was near enough to hear all the radio calls and discussions). He absolutely had our best interests and concerns in mind.

At daylight, I called about the heat and my concerns were noted and addressed. I was immediately offered a room at three sister property, or even just a shower if desired. I was again apologized to with no excuses. In fact, both on the phone and in person I was met with a smile, an answer and an offer.i again declined, and noted my appreciation.

So at days end the test would come. After completing work I returned, and casually asked if anything was being done. I had occasioned this event before at a Ritz Carlton property and nothing was done except for a free glass of wine. Here, I was told in no uncertain terms that they had already addressed it, Pre-emptively credited accounts and addressed any guest concerns. The manager even checked my account without my prompting, and informed me that my night was credited along with my restaurant tab! I was even asked if there was anything else that I requested or required!

As a frequent business traveler, I look for properties that do the right thing. Don't make excuses, and be proactively. That's the Monaco. Great accommodations, great staff and professional in every regard. They certainly went above and beyond in a difficult situation and if nothing else earned my respect and appreciation.

Besides having the most comfortable beds around, what else could you ask?!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank MRMED8R
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Oh what a night! I truly appreciate your excellent review of Hotel Monaco Portland on what was a unique and challenging night. In Hotel Monaco’s seventeen years this is the first time we have had a failure of the hot water and heating systems. Thank you so much for the comments about how our staff, and especially our night auditor, handled the situation. I have passed your comments on to him and have thanked him personally for how he managed the early morning fire alarm. I am very happy to read that our staff communicated with you pleasantly and professionally and preemptively credited the cost of a night’s stay and your restaurant bill as well. Thank you so much for the excellent feedback and we will hopefully see you again soon for a more restful night.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Over the years we've stayed at many of the downtown Portland hotels. The last few visits, we've stayed at the sister hotel, Vintage Plaza, and had stayed at the predecessor of the Monaco years ago...this was the best visit yet. Friendly, attentive service. Loved the evening wine and beer tasting and the morning hot chocolate was most appreciated by the grandkids. The evening "be an artist" for the kids was truly innovative and exceptional. We watched the guests entering and leaving the elevator while listening to the evening pianist and were amazed by the number of younger guests with dogs (we have grey hair and we were probably in the minority). However, we were never aware of dogs in the hotel otherwise. The decor is fun. It was just such a nice experience that we plan on going back in July. Maybe they'll upgrade us like the other reviewers!

Room Tip: Join the Kimpton in touch program. We had a room on the 5th floor and it was quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for the tripadvisor review and for your recent stay with us. It sounds like you had a great time with your grandchildren! I'm glad they appreciated our morning hot chocolate and nightly painting in our Living Room lobby. See you in July and I hope we'll have the upgrade available for you.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

This was my first stay at a Kimpton Property. Prior to my stay, I joined the InTouch Program and took advantage of their offer to match my highest level status at another chain. This moved me directly to the InTouch Inner Circle membership. From the minute that status was confirmed, the reservation and hotel staff were incredible. Regular email check ins with me to make sure they were ready for my stay and any needs that I had.

Arrived at the hotel and was quickly checked in and on to my room. I got there later in the evening, so I missed the complimentary beer and wine that evening. The front desk clerk provided me a 10% off coupon for the restaurant to compensate me for missing the beverages. This was a great touch.

I also want to point out the outstanding recognition of loyalty status at both check in AND check out! They take this very seriously and ensure you are recognized and have a top notch stay!

Stayed on the 10th floor in the Bill Porter Suite. It was a incredible corner suite with good views and plenty of space. Nice living room, bedroom, half bath, wet bar and huge bathroom with walk in shower. The decor and furnishing were great and a nice detour of the typical same photo hanging over the bed at every chain property.

I was also given the opportunity to raid the mini bar for up to $10 and it would be removed from my bill. Took full advantage of this opportunity. Also, the staff had left 2 bottles of water, 2 diet cokes, 2 bags of white cheddar popcorn and a box of chocolate chip cookies in my room for me! Outstanding treat!

I highly recommend this property. Great location. Easy walk to plenty of restaurants, shopping, local business and activities. I will definitely be making the Monaco my #1 choice in Portland and am very looking forward to experiencing their properties and service in other cities.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lv2CtheWorld

Thank you so much for the excellent review and congratulations on your Inner Circle status! I am happy to read about all of the efforts that our staff took to make your stay special and recognize your guest loyalty status. I'm glad that you had the opporunity to stay in the Bill Porter Suite and that you received all of your Inner Circle prefered amenities. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Welcome to the Kimpton family!