“Fun decor, fabulous attention at every level”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #3 of 139 Hotels in Portland
California
“Fun decor, fabulous attention at every level”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Our 3-day stay in Portland was one of the more memorably wonderful trips in recent memory, thanks to the unwavering service and extra details at the Hotel Monaco that really made our stay special.

We somehow got upgraded to a Queen Suite upon arrival, so it ended up being unbelievably good value, especially with off-season prices. The rooms are whimsically decorated in a way that somehow works -- soaring ceilings, bright colours, and even an adorable plush black bear to greet us. The bedroom in the suite is away from the corridor past a sitting room and separated by sliding doors -- with the pillow-top beds it made for incredibly peaceful nights of sleep. Everything about our stay from start to finish was easy thanks to the skilled and friendly staff.

The extras we loved:
-Well-attended evening happy hour with live piano in the opulent lounge
-Daily morning coffee/tea and hot chocolate in the lounge with a selection of sweet fixings
-Starbucks coffee and Tazo teas for the in-room coffee machine
-A fleet of cruisers (bicycles) for use around town
-Didn't bring our furry friend, but they are completely dog friendly, hard to find!
-We sheepishly requested a last-minute after hours emergency shoe-shine before 7am, which turns out to be part of their standard services

Other pluses:
-Convenient location. It's an easy walk to shopping and public transit (MAX rail trains) and a slightly farther 15-minute walk to the Pearl district for dinner or yoga (I loved Yoga Pearl and the adjoining cafe).
-Miami Heat sightings
-Various organised activities. We saw signs for a morning yoga session, guided jog, etc.
-24-hr gym, but no pool

A tip on parking: You can valet park with the hotel in the garage below, but plenty of easy cheaper options are available on the street (not metered overnight) or in nearby lots/garages (info that the valet staff volunteered). If you valet, they will expertly manoeuvre your car onto the tight exit ramp for you, but the steep incline to an active sidewalk can be a little daunting, especially in a manual car.

A few tiny inconveniences:
-The lights in the room are individually controlled with no master switch, entering/leaving can be inconvenient
-The business center is unstaffed and quite cramped. Printing is pricey (hefty fee to log on to PC, then high per page fees on top of that).

Overall wonderful stay, definitely hope to return!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for the excellent review and I'm happy that you found Hotel Monaco Portland to be a great value. It's great that you had the opportunity to take advantage of our complimentary overnight shoe shine service! Thank you for the feedback about the room lighting and business center as well. We will discuss your comments at our next staff meeting. I hope you'll have a change to come and stay with us again soon.

Craig Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I had a wonderful time here! The lobby decor is colorful and interesting. I had a smaller room, which was fine, since it was a solo trip. I really like the colorful decoration in the room as well! Has a very ecclectic feel. I wanted to do some exploring - the concierge told me that instead of a bus, I could borrow a bike from the garage and explore Portland by bike! Perfect! It's a wonderful touch to offer complimentary bikes to hotel guests - take advantage of this if you're staying here. Portland is also a very bike-friendly city (I've lived in NYC, DC, and Baltimore...Portland is by far the most bike friendly - I even got a high-five from someone for biking).
After my bike ride, I was back in time for their complimentary afternoon ice cream and juice hour.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank mychell_w
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for the great review. I'm always glad to hear that guests take advantage of our complimentary loaner bikes - and you even got a high-five! That's awesome!

Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

What a disappointment staying at the Monaco Hotel was on New Year's Eve. When I drove up, there were two cars already in the small check-in zone and no doorman to be seen. I unloaded bags while my friend went to the front desk.

By the time I got inside (it was close to 4 PM by now), the lobby was crowded with guests waiting for rooms and my friend was seething. She had been told that there wold be a 90 minute wait for a room. It just felt like they were totally unprepared for the bookings they had for the evening.

We did get a room in about 30 minutes. No explanation was given, nor was an apology offered by the front desk. The next morning at check-out, we were finally told that several staff had called in sick and many guests had requested late check-outs the previous day. I still felt that was poor performance for a Kimpton property. The check-out agent was kind enough to comp the parking, which did help. I commend her customer-service efforts.

Overall, this was a disappointing stay and, given the choices in Portland, I will not choose the Monaco again.

Room Tip: A room facing east will give a better view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cosmo9213
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thanks so much for your recent review of your visit to the Hotel Monaco Portland. I am very sorry that we did not have your room ready for you. We did have late checkouts, a shortage of help and oh so many other excuses I could make. Suffice it to say that the bottom line is that there are no acceptable excuses. Your experience is way short of the high standards that we attempt to maintain at all times. I can assure you that we have taken the steps necessary to make certain that this will not happen again. We would hope that you might give us another chance. I would love to discuss this with you. My telephone number is 503 417 3370.

Thanks again.

Craig
Redmond, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Good location (i.e. short walking distance to shopping and restaurants), and a very eclectic feel. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable. Very cool lobby with a complimentary wine and beer reception every night, and live piano. Would definitely stay here again. P.S. The attached Red Star restaurant has a to die Squash/Cauliflower appetizer- I know my description here doesn't sound amazing but just take my word for it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the excellent comments about our location and staff. We appreciate your feedback. I'm glad that you had an opportunity to join our complimentary evening wine reception. I'll be sure to let everyone at Red Star know that you enjoyed your appetizer. Hopefully we'll see you in Portland again soon.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I hardly ever write reviews on Tripadvisor and it takes something pretty special for me to stop being so lazy and pick up my laptop.

In essence, this hotel is absolutely outstanding. I am lucky that I get to travel a lot around Europe/Asia and North America for business so I am accustomed to the generic 5 star category and the blandness/uniformity of many major brands. Hotel Monaco, however, feels like a personalized boutique hotel which has a unique sense of fun - The rooms are cool, the location is great and the staff laid back & friendly. I booked up as part of myself and my girlfriend's 5 year anniversary and couldn't be more pleased with my choice. The level of customer service was unsurpassable and Neil, in particular, on the front desk was tremendous. Travelling with our English Bulldog was a breeze and all members of staff could not have made young Berkeley more welcome.... The impromptu Doggy Day care on site is a really good idea that certainly made my girlfriend shop with peace of mind.

Overall, Outstanding sums it up nicely and I will be sure to return to the Hotel Monaco many times again in the future....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Hotel Monaco for your 5th Anniversary celebration and for the outstanding review. I'll be sure to pass on comments about our customer service and thank Neil at the front desk in particular. I'm glad that Berkeley enjoyed his time with us as well. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

We were here in November of 2012 and thought the hotel was fine. Funky interior and lovely little reception area where they served wine and beer each evening for the hotel guests. Unfortunately they do not monitor who comes into the reception and everyone we spoke with was not staying at the hotel. They knew about the free alcohol and came to take advantage of it. The attached restaurant had decent food, large portions and fairly good service. Lovely dog at the front desk and the staff was really helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for the Trip Advisor review. I'm glad you had an opportunity to join our wine reception and that you were able to meet Timmy, our lobby dog. Hopefully we'll see you again next time you're in Portland.

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I recently stayed here while attending a conference at Lewis and Clark law school. The hotel is gorgeous, beautifully decorated in a style that is funky, retro, yet classy and glamorous. If you are looking for something different than the usual chain hotel where everything is plain and has no character, this is your hotel. Also loved the location- I could walk to stores, restaurants, friends' hotels, and there was a large group of the famous Portland food trucks just up the street. The doorman was kind enough to point me towards a vegan restaurant within walking distance. The name escapes me at the moment, but it was delicious. I can't wait to stay here again on my next trip!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the tripadvisor review and for the comments about our decor and location. I'm glad that you enjoyed our stay and that you had the opportunity to visit our famous food carts. I hope you'll have the opportunity to stay with us again soon.