“They weren't prepared!”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed January 8, 2013

What a disappointment staying at the Monaco Hotel was on New Year's Eve. When I drove up, there were two cars already in the small check-in zone and no doorman to be seen. I unloaded bags while my friend went to the front desk.

By the time I got inside (it was close to 4 PM by now), the lobby was crowded with guests waiting for rooms and my friend was seething. She had been told that there wold be a 90 minute wait for a room. It just felt like they were totally unprepared for the bookings they had for the evening.

We did get a room in about 30 minutes. No explanation was given, nor was an apology offered by the front desk. The next morning at check-out, we were finally told that several staff had called in sick and many guests had requested late check-outs the previous day. I still felt that was poor performance for a Kimpton property. The check-out agent was kind enough to comp the parking, which did help. I commend her customer-service efforts.

Overall, this was a disappointing stay and, given the choices in Portland, I will not choose the Monaco again.

Room Tip: A room facing east will give a better view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cosmo9213
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thanks so much for your recent review of your visit to the Hotel Monaco Portland. I am very sorry that we did not have your room ready for you. We did have late checkouts, a shortage of help and oh so many other excuses I could make. Suffice it to say that the bottom line is that there are no acceptable excuses. Your experience is way short of the high standards that we attempt to maintain at all times. I can assure you that we have taken the steps necessary to make certain that this will not happen again. We would hope that you might give us another chance. I would love to discuss this with you. My telephone number is 503 417 3370.

Thanks again.

Craig

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Good location (i.e. short walking distance to shopping and restaurants), and a very eclectic feel. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable. Very cool lobby with a complimentary wine and beer reception every night, and live piano. Would definitely stay here again. P.S. The attached Red Star restaurant has a to die Squash/Cauliflower appetizer- I know my description here doesn't sound amazing but just take my word for it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you for the excellent comments about our location and staff. We appreciate your feedback. I'm glad that you had an opportunity to join our complimentary evening wine reception. I'll be sure to let everyone at Red Star know that you enjoyed your appetizer. Hopefully we'll see you in Portland again soon.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I hardly ever write reviews on Tripadvisor and it takes something pretty special for me to stop being so lazy and pick up my laptop.

In essence, this hotel is absolutely outstanding. I am lucky that I get to travel a lot around Europe/Asia and North America for business so I am accustomed to the generic 5 star category and the blandness/uniformity of many major brands. Hotel Monaco, however, feels like a personalized boutique hotel which has a unique sense of fun - The rooms are cool, the location is great and the staff laid back & friendly. I booked up as part of myself and my girlfriend's 5 year anniversary and couldn't be more pleased with my choice. The level of customer service was unsurpassable and Neil, in particular, on the front desk was tremendous. Travelling with our English Bulldog was a breeze and all members of staff could not have made young Berkeley more welcome.... The impromptu Doggy Day care on site is a really good idea that certainly made my girlfriend shop with peace of mind.

Overall, Outstanding sums it up nicely and I will be sure to return to the Hotel Monaco many times again in the future....

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing Hotel Monaco for your 5th Anniversary celebration and for the outstanding review. I'll be sure to pass on comments about our customer service and thank Neil at the front desk in particular. I'm glad that Berkeley enjoyed his time with us as well. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We were here in November of 2012 and thought the hotel was fine. Funky interior and lovely little reception area where they served wine and beer each evening for the hotel guests. Unfortunately they do not monitor who comes into the reception and everyone we spoke with was not staying at the hotel. They knew about the free alcohol and came to take advantage of it. The attached restaurant had decent food, large portions and fairly good service. Lovely dog at the front desk and the staff was really helpful.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Thank you for the Trip Advisor review. I'm glad you had an opportunity to join our wine reception and that you were able to meet Timmy, our lobby dog. Hopefully we'll see you again next time you're in Portland.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I recently stayed here while attending a conference at Lewis and Clark law school. The hotel is gorgeous, beautifully decorated in a style that is funky, retro, yet classy and glamorous. If you are looking for something different than the usual chain hotel where everything is plain and has no character, this is your hotel. Also loved the location- I could walk to stores, restaurants, friends' hotels, and there was a large group of the famous Portland food trucks just up the street. The doorman was kind enough to point me towards a vegan restaurant within walking distance. The name escapes me at the moment, but it was delicious. I can't wait to stay here again on my next trip!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for the tripadvisor review and for the comments about our decor and location. I'm glad that you enjoyed our stay and that you had the opportunity to visit our famous food carts. I hope you'll have the opportunity to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We love the Portland Hotel Monaco. We have been staying with them every December since our granddaughter was 6 weeks old ahd we have pictures of her in front of 4 Monaco Christmas trees. We enjoy the ammenites of the wine reception, coffee and cocoa in the lobby, newspaper at the door in the morning and Timmy the dog. We love the Red Star Tavern for the great food and their forebearance with a small child in a nice restaurant. All the staff make us feel at home too. Our stay in December is our Christmas treat for ourselves-- but then we love to stay in the summer as well. We will be back again and again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank oppa3

Thank you very much for the review and for making Hotel Monaco Portland part of your annual holiday traditions! We appreciate the great comments about our complimentary evening wine hour and other amenities. I'll be sure to pass on your excellent experience in Red Star Tavern & Roast House as well. See you for Holiday Season 2013 (and hopefully next summer as well).

Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Really a superb place. Feels more European than standard run-of-the-mill American. Kimpton's in general are not as pretentiously glossy as a Ritz Carlton/ Four Seasons but still miles ahead of your standard Hyatt or Marriott. The Monaco has character. From the wine tasting in the lobby each evening, the cozy fireplace, the gentle giant house Golden Retriever that rules the first floor - all is very "gemuchlichkeit" in a Portlandia kind of way. Charm, comfort, walk anywhere neighborhood, tasteful furnishings - you won't go wrong staying at The Monaco
PS: Room service if fast and very tasty!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank SanAntonioBill

Thank you so much for the great comments. I'm happy that you enjoyed your stay and our unique character. I'll be sure to pass on the excellent feedback about our lobby dog, Timmy, and our room service. Thank you.