“Excellent”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel for over ten years. Every visit reminds me of why we return. The attention to detail, cleanliness and friendliness of the staff makes each of our visits enjoyable. The location of the hotel is a huge plus as we typically like to shop during our stay. My favorite rooms are those with the larger bathrooms.

Room Tip: request larger bathroom
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Wow! Thank you so much for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland for over ten years. That's excellent to hear. Thank you for your repeat business and for making Hotel Monaco your Portland home.

Craig Thompson

Write a ReviewReviews (3,196)

Reviewed January 1, 2013

One of the most comfortable hotel experiences I have had, and this with an 8-month old baby. Room was spacious, clean and comfortable, and provided with a cot for baby, plus some unfrequented condiments. Great location, and also provides a well-organized and extremely popular Happy Hour with drinks, music and balloon animals for the kiddies.

Room Tip: We got a king suite, which was extremely comfortable and allowed some intra-family privacy
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Monaco Portland with your eight month old baby. Thank you for the excellent comments about our guest rooms and our complimentary evening wine hour. Thank you for the review and I hope you're able to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful 3-night stay in Portland at the Hotel Monaco. We will absolutely stay here every time we return. We enjoyed 3 nights in the 850 sq/ft Grand Suite and it was one of the largest, nicest rooms we've stayed in. With multiple bathrooms, a private corner bedroom with huge windows, and a large separate sitting room, we were truly impressed.

From check-in to check-out, our stay was flawless. The staff is friendly, helpful, and courteous. The hotel is clean and wonderfully decorated. The location of the hotel is perfect for walking around Portland - very close to the TriMet stop and easy to get to from the airport.

Take advantage of the evening happy hour for wine and snacks. Or walk next door (without going outside) to the attached restaurant. For free WiFi, be sure to sign up to be an "InTouch" member (it's free) before you arrive.

Keep in mind, you don't have to stay in the Grand Suite to enjoy your stay. We would have been happy w/ this hotel regardless of what room we had. We highly recommend this hotel. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: We upgraded to the Grand Suite and could not have been more impressed. At 850 sq/ft, it's huge...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the trip advisor review and for the great comments about our grand suite. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed it! I'll be sure to pass on the great comments about our staff. Thank you for the great feedback. I hope you'll have the opportunity to come back and stay at Hotel Monaco Portland again soon.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We were shocked by the $38 a night for parking. It added an unexpected 120 to my already tight budget.
They also try to charge us 1.25 for local calls and 4.88 for long distance connection. They end up taking it out but what a nerve.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I love Kimpton hotels for their little attention to details. Little things like having many plugs by the beside table for personal electronics to charge overnight. Things like an awesome coffee/hot chocolate bar in the morning (with many toppings to select from), and the daily evening cocktail reception from 5-6pm. This Kimpton also had an art easel out for guests to draw during the reception hour, plus a gaming console for kids to stay entertained while parents drank. We had kids traveling with us, so we asked for a goldfish in our room for the kids to look at during our stay, and they immediately brought one over.

Free internet? Check. $10 to spend in the mini-fridge? Check. (both free through their free rewards program). Parking is steep - $38/night, w/in and out privileges. So we had planned on parking at a nearby public lot, which would've been $15/night w/o in and out privileges. When we checked in, we asked for the location of the public lot, and the check-in host said "how about I just give you half off parking", so we took that offer, for the convenience of not having to go 1/2 a block away to park.

Loved it, and will return. Great location, walking distance to everywhere you need to go in downtown (2 blocks from pioneer place shopping mall, 4 blocks from the nearest food truck pod, a few blocks from the waterfront park, 10 min walk from powell's.) Umbrellas are available to borrow if it starts raining. Water bottles are available for use in the gym.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank croelin1000
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Thank you so much for the excellent review - it sounds like you had a great time. Thank you for joining out guest loyalty program, Kimpton In Touch. I'm glad that you took advantage of our Guppy Love program and that you had an opportunity to join our evening wine reception. I'm happy to read that the front desk took care of you during your stay. I'll be sure to thank them.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Another great stay at Kimptom. As always the service was stellar. We ended up having to cut our trip short by 24 hours and there was no charge for the change. It is a bit pricey since it was in the city but well worth it. The room was extremely clean, the bed heavenly and it is perfectly located in walking distance to a lot of great Portland finds. They had bikes but we didn't need them. Their hotel dog Tommy is a retired service dog and he makes it feel a little more like home.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the review and for the great comments. I'm glad that you had the opportunity to meet Timmy, out lobby dog. Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and I hope you'll have the opportunity to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We chose to stay here for my birthday weekend based on great tripadvisor reviews. We were not disappointed. Everyone was so friendly, we were upgraded upon check in and we loved the morning coffee and afternoon happy hours. The front desk even surprised me with a piece of birthday cake, a card and champagne. I would highly recommend this hotel for its staff and location. My only complaint was that there was a large water spot on our bedroom ceiling~ something I wouldn't expect for this level of property. Other than that, we had a wonderful weekend here and I would stay again in a minute.

Room Tip: We asked for the hypoallergenic floor because my husband is allergic to dogs.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Monaco Portland for your birthday weekend. I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and that the front desk sent you a birthday surprise. I'll be sure to let the front desk know that you enjoyed it. Thank you for the feedback about the water spot on your ceiling. We will find the water spot and fix it.