“Best Hotel, Best Location and Best Staff...”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed November 16, 2012

All the great reviews I read on tripadvisor were true indeed!! They were nice enough to upgrade us to a suite on the hypoallergenic floor upon our arrival. A bottle of champagne was left in our room while we went out to lunch which was a very pleasant surprise! The room and decor are eclectic and tastefully done. All of the staff were friendly and helpful. Entire property seemed to be well kept and exceptionally clean. The attached hotel bar/restaurant was great and convenient. The wine happy hour hosted by the hotel was lively and enjoyed by lot of guests. You CAN'T ask for better location for getting to MAX light rail, restaurant and shopping..etc. Thank you for making our stay in Portland memorable. This is my first stay with the Kimpton Hotel and I am totally sold on the idea!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Thank you so much for the excellent comments. I'm glad that you had a memorable stay in Portland and thank you for choosing Hotel Monaco. I'm glad you were upgraded to a suite on our hypoallergenic floor and that you received a complimentary bottle of champagne. Thank you for joining us at wine hour and for the plans to continue staying with Kimpton Hotels!

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland

Reviewed November 15, 2012

You just can't go wrong staying at a Monaco. This wonderful hotel in downtown Portland has everything--location, upscale decor, comfort, great service, and winning attitude. The lobby area is lovely and we loved the evening happy hour and morning coffee/tea.

Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for the tripadvisor review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm happy to read about our winning attitude! Hopefully you are able to come back and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Loved this hotel. Stayed for 2 nights on business and felt both well-taken care of and in the center of things. The staff was amazing--plus, they fedexed my power cord back to me when I left it behind. They had great recommendations for dinner, though I also really liked the hotel restaurant. It's convenient, well-kitted out, hip but never snooty. And the rooms are big.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Thank you so much for choosing Hotel Monaco Portland and for the great review! I'm happy to hear that you had an excellent experience with our staff and that they were able to get your power cord to you! Thank you also for visiting our on-site restaurant, Red Star Tavern & Roast House.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

As a very picky person with hotels, I felt comfortable and welcome in a hip/happening hotel. From the welcome doormen to the grand/funky decor of the lobby, our stay was overall very nice.
We have stayed at the other Kimpton hotels (Phoenix and Salt Lake City) and now Portland.
In comparison, this one was decent enough for our needs, being walking distance to everything (Voodoo donuts, mall, Powell's bookstore, walking tours), clean nice king bedroom, nice exercise room supplied with complimentary water bottles, morning coffee, evening wine hour and friendly hotel dog named Timmy. We were very pleased with the amenities and informational staff on where to go and eat. They gave us umbrellas and suggestions for halloween events.

Room Tip: We had a king suite on the fifth floor and it was facing the Macy's building. It was perfectly...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Monaco Portland and for the review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! I'm pleased to read that you had a chance to meet out lobby dog, Timmy, and that you were able to join us at our hosted evening wine reception. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you next time you're in Portland.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had an excellent experience at this hotel. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. There was a mix-up with the bill when we checked out and they handled it right away and we ended up having no extra charges. The room was huge (turns out we had received a free upgrade that we didn't even know about), it was perfectly quiet, it was comfortable, and it was dark at night (this is a must-have for me). They told us there were no rooms with a view but our view of downtown at night was excellent nonetheless.

The location is perfect, very central. You can walk anywhere in the downtown or Pearl district very easily. Restaurants, sights, food carts, transportation - pretty much everything is within walking distance.

Every night from 5-6pm they have free drinks in the lounge. They also have live music, a Nintendo Wii, and blank canvases and paint for everyone to use. I felt like the hotel was part of our trip, not just a place to crash at the end of the day.

A couple of minor negative points: in our room, the bathroom on arrival was not 100% clean. Also, this is a dog-friendly hotel and there were dogs everywhere in the lobby. If you like dogs, this is great. If not, or if you are allergic, you will have to rush through the lobby most of the time.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lennybruceisdead
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

I'm happy to read that your received an upgrade to a suite for your stay in Portland! I'm sorry that there was an error on your final bill but I'm glad that the front desk corrected the error for you. I am very sorry that you arrived to a bathroom that was not completely clean. This is unacceptable and I will discuss this issue with our director of housekeeping. Hotel Monaco Portland, like all Kimpton Hotels, is a pet-friendly property. Pets are welcome on our pet-friendly floors, but for those guests who are allergic or would prefer not to stay on a pet-friendly floor I would recommend requesting our hypo-allergenic floor. This floor is pet-free and equipped with hepa-filter vacuums, hypo-allergenic cleaning and toiletry products, and gluten-free mini bar items.

Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

There's not much to say that was extraordinary or terrible about this hotel. It was a convenient, nice place to stay. Interestingly, I didn't put two and two together that this is the same hotel at which I stayed in Denver earlier this year. This one surpassed the Denver location in many respects: the room was larger and more interestingly decorated, the fitness center was large and had lots of equipment (though the TV's didn't seem to work...), and the downstairs lounge/lobby was larger and more lively.

Parking ($38/night), laundry ($55 for a few pairs of socks, underwear, and gym clothes), and room service ($40 for oatmeal, fruit, and coffee) all seemed pricey. Maybe I just incorrectly expect the West to be cheap...

My room selection suggestion would be to get a room not on the side of the building where one exits the valet parking (sorry, not 100% sure which side that was...) Every morning at 4:30 am, I was woken up by the trash truck emptying a row of bins across the street. I went back to sleep, but I was on the highest or 2nd highest floor, and I still heard it.

There are a lot of options in Downtown Portland. This is a good one, though I can't unequivocally say I would stay here on my next visit.

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank you for the tripadvisor review and for the feedback. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry that the TVs in the fitness center did not work during your stay. I will have our Chief Engineer research the problem. Thank you for the feedback about our pricing. We try to stay competitive with other hotels in our market but will take your comments into consideration and take another look at our pricing. I am also sorry that you heard street noise in the early morning. I will contact the City of Portland to research their garbage pick-up times.

We do hope that you will choose to stay with us when you return to Portland. Thank you again.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I'm generally a big fan of Kimpton properties and, while this one probably isn't quite a 5* experience, it is a very, very solid property. The rooms were big and quiet. The lobby is large, fun and inviting and the staff is good. Valet parking in the garage is extremely tight to get into and out of and the valet guys seemed inclined to make it easier only on an ad hoc basis.

The area is great and the espresso shop around the corner was amazing.

We got this at an attractive Hotwire price and I was extremely satisfied but would have been less satisfied at closer to full price.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thanks you so much for your recent review. We really appreciate your feedback. While we were happy to note that your visit was for the most part good we were concerned that it might be difficult to exit from our valet parking garage. I am sorry that our valets did not consistently offer to assist you with leaving the garage. I will speak with our Guest Services manager about the issues you experienced and we will fix the problem. Thanks again. We look forward to the very great pleasure of serving you again in the hopefully near future.