“Adding to the chorus” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 138 Hotels in Portland
San Francisco, California
“Adding to the chorus”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Loved this hotel. Stayed for 2 nights on business and felt both well-taken care of and in the center of things. The staff was amazing--plus, they fedexed my power cord back to me when I left it behind. They had great recommendations for dinner, though I also really liked the hotel restaurant. It's convenient, well-kitted out, hip but never snooty. And the rooms are big.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you so much for choosing Hotel Monaco Portland and for the great review! I'm happy to hear that you had an excellent experience with our staff and that they were able to get your power cord to you! Thank you also for visiting our on-site restaurant, Red Star Tavern & Roast House.

Craig Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

As a very picky person with hotels, I felt comfortable and welcome in a hip/happening hotel. From the welcome doormen to the grand/funky decor of the lobby, our stay was overall very nice.
We have stayed at the other Kimpton hotels (Phoenix and Salt Lake City) and now Portland.
In comparison, this one was decent enough for our needs, being walking distance to everything (Voodoo donuts, mall, Powell's bookstore, walking tours), clean nice king bedroom, nice exercise room supplied with complimentary water bottles, morning coffee, evening wine hour and friendly hotel dog named Timmy. We were very pleased with the amenities and informational staff on where to go and eat. They gave us umbrellas and suggestions for halloween events.

Room Tip: We had a king suite on the fifth floor and it was facing the Macy's building. It was perfectly...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Monaco Portland and for the review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! I'm pleased to read that you had a chance to meet out lobby dog, Timmy, and that you were able to join us at our hosted evening wine reception. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you next time you're in Portland.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had an excellent experience at this hotel. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. There was a mix-up with the bill when we checked out and they handled it right away and we ended up having no extra charges. The room was huge (turns out we had received a free upgrade that we didn't even know about), it was perfectly quiet, it was comfortable, and it was dark at night (this is a must-have for me). They told us there were no rooms with a view but our view of downtown at night was excellent nonetheless.

The location is perfect, very central. You can walk anywhere in the downtown or Pearl district very easily. Restaurants, sights, food carts, transportation - pretty much everything is within walking distance.

Every night from 5-6pm they have free drinks in the lounge. They also have live music, a Nintendo Wii, and blank canvases and paint for everyone to use. I felt like the hotel was part of our trip, not just a place to crash at the end of the day.

A couple of minor negative points: in our room, the bathroom on arrival was not 100% clean. Also, this is a dog-friendly hotel and there were dogs everywhere in the lobby. If you like dogs, this is great. If not, or if you are allergic, you will have to rush through the lobby most of the time.

1 Thank lennybruceisdead
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
I'm happy to read that your received an upgrade to a suite for your stay in Portland! I'm sorry that there was an error on your final bill but I'm glad that the front desk corrected the error for you. I am very sorry that you arrived to a bathroom that was not completely clean. This is unacceptable and I will discuss this issue with our director of housekeeping. Hotel Monaco Portland, like all Kimpton Hotels, is a pet-friendly property. Pets are welcome on our pet-friendly floors, but for those guests who are allergic or would prefer not to stay on a pet-friendly floor I would recommend requesting our hypo-allergenic floor. This floor is pet-free and equipped with hepa-filter vacuums, hypo-allergenic cleaning and toiletry products, and gluten-free mini bar items.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

There's not much to say that was extraordinary or terrible about this hotel. It was a convenient, nice place to stay. Interestingly, I didn't put two and two together that this is the same hotel at which I stayed in Denver earlier this year. This one surpassed the Denver location in many respects: the room was larger and more interestingly decorated, the fitness center was large and had lots of equipment (though the TV's didn't seem to work...), and the downstairs lounge/lobby was larger and more lively.

Parking ($38/night), laundry ($55 for a few pairs of socks, underwear, and gym clothes), and room service ($40 for oatmeal, fruit, and coffee) all seemed pricey. Maybe I just incorrectly expect the West to be cheap...

My room selection suggestion would be to get a room not on the side of the building where one exits the valet parking (sorry, not 100% sure which side that was...) Every morning at 4:30 am, I was woken up by the trash truck emptying a row of bins across the street. I went back to sleep, but I was on the highest or 2nd highest floor, and I still heard it.

There are a lot of options in Downtown Portland. This is a good one, though I can't unequivocally say I would stay here on my next visit.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the tripadvisor review and for the feedback. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry that the TVs in the fitness center did not work during your stay. I will have our Chief Engineer research the problem. Thank you for the feedback about our pricing. We try to stay competitive with other hotels in our market but will take your comments into consideration and take another look at our pricing. I am also sorry that you heard street noise in the early morning. I will contact the City of Portland to research their garbage pick-up times.

We do hope that you will choose to stay with us when you return to Portland. Thank you again.

Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

I'm generally a big fan of Kimpton properties and, while this one probably isn't quite a 5* experience, it is a very, very solid property. The rooms were big and quiet. The lobby is large, fun and inviting and the staff is good. Valet parking in the garage is extremely tight to get into and out of and the valet guys seemed inclined to make it easier only on an ad hoc basis.

The area is great and the espresso shop around the corner was amazing.

We got this at an attractive Hotwire price and I was extremely satisfied but would have been less satisfied at closer to full price.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thanks you so much for your recent review. We really appreciate your feedback. While we were happy to note that your visit was for the most part good we were concerned that it might be difficult to exit from our valet parking garage. I am sorry that our valets did not consistently offer to assist you with leaving the garage. I will speak with our Guest Services manager about the issues you experienced and we will fix the problem. Thanks again. We look forward to the very great pleasure of serving you again in the hopefully near future.

Manzanita, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

So, we got this hotel through priceline. We bid $90 and got it. We were very excited because it had said it was a four star hotel, and we felt we got a great deal. We even checked their prices and it is very pricey for what we felt was not worth the money. It is in an excellent location, in the middle of downtown Portland, which was great. The parking was a bit over priced, but what can you do in the city? They had great service from all the staff at the hotel. They had free wine and beer at 5-6 p.m. which of course is a major bonus. It almost seemed that people that were not staying at the hotel were having free cocktails. The hotel was decorated kind of weird for our taste, it was kind of like being in alice in wonderland. It kind of made us feel goofy. The rooms were great, except there was a bit of a noise problem in the morning, because of where our room was located, it was by a great room, where people can rent the space, and it was by a utility closet for room service. Our overall experience was good, except for the price of the parking, the hotel decor was a bit weird, and it was over priced but we got a great deal. That's is the only way we would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't get the room by the utility room or the banquet room.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks so much for your recent review of the Hotel Monaco Portland. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit. I do apologize for the noise problem. Regarding parking unfortunately all downtown hotels charge for parking. The cost at our hotel includes valet parking with unlimited in and out privileges in a secure, locked, and patrolled garage.

Yes, our decor is admittedley different. At The Kimpton Monaco Hotels we try to surprise and delight our guests by being quirky, and out of the box. The following is our design statement.

Influenced by the natural beautiful forests and mountains that surround Portland, the newly
renovated Hotel Monaco Guest Rooms look to bring that experience inside. With a twist and
whimsicality that has come to be the trademark of the Monaco brand. the palette was inspired by
the pine green colors of the Willamette Valley, the orange sunsets on the Columbia River, the
gray skies of a long Oregon winter and the lovely gardens of the City Of Roses. All of this is
intermingled with geometric fabrics, high gloss lacquer finishes and touches of gold and polished
chrome details throughout the room for a very layered design aesthetic.
The wall covering sets the stage for the spacious room with local birds of Oregon in flight as if
emerging from the over scaled "cage like" fretwork inspired carpet in orange and greige colors.
Stepping into the Living Room, the guest is greeted by bright blue chevron patterned upholstered
sofa with graphic black and white pillows crowned by a hand-crafted branch inspired circular
mirror. The birds look as if they are dancing and flying thru the branches. The octagon desk with a
boldly scaled hourglass base is flanked by a handsome task chair upholstered in an MC Escher
inspired fabric and an over stylized lounge chair in contemporary birch trees on a crisp winter
day. The sense of discovery continues as the guest turns on the desk lamp to find they are greeted
by duck feet as an homage to the University of Oregon and a piece of artwork that is inspired by
Mt. Hood. One truly feels as if they have stepped into a forest.
Moving past the dramatic sliding doors into the Bedroom, the guest is greeted by an extravagant
headboard framed in an orange lacquer finish with an exuberant tartan pattern bed skirt and
matching bed pillows in lilac, citrine, tawny and charcoal colors. Modern day amenities like data
ports are conveniently located at each nightstand making sure the guests needs are met at all
times. After the long day of shopping in Pioneer Square, the guests can relax on the brightly
colored forest green hybrid bench/chair with fuchsia feet while taking in a contemporary print of
the Columbia River Gorge.
The nature inspired experience continues in the bathroom with an architecturally inspired wall
covering with famous buildings and monuments of Portland and beyond: St. Johns Bridge, Vista
House and the Pioneer Clock Tower. An emerald art deco mirror is high lighted by a stylized branch
sconce. The centerpiece of the room is a custom feature ceramic tile in the shower, by a local tile
company of an 18th Century illustration of a rose: The crowning centerpiece of the famous
summer festival that represents this charming city of the Pacific Northwest.

Here is the list of birds represented in our suites and rooms:

Black Bellied Plover
Harp-tailed Sandpiper
Ruddy Turnstone
Snowy Plover
Black Turnstone
Stilt Sandpiper

We look forward to your next visit.

Craig
South Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed one night recently on a short Oregon getaway for our wedding anniversary. The hotel was fantastic. The lobby is large and the wine sitting area is extraordinary. The front desk staff were busy, but helpful. The concierge was very helpful in making our stay memorable.

We were upgraded to a fantastic suite. The room was very large with a large bedroom. The decor was eclectic and very interesting. Beautiful chandeliers, etc. You do hear street noise even at a high floor, but with white noise from the phone it is no big deal.

I like most Kimpton hotels and this one is one of the best.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Congratulations on your wedding anniversary and thank you for choosing Hotel Monaco Portland for your celebrations! I'm happy to read that you received an upgrade to a suite and that our concierge was able to assist you with the details of your visit. Thank you for joining us at our nightly hosted wine reception in the Living Room Lobby. I apologize that you experienced street noise and that the front desk was busy during your stay. We will discuss these issues in our next staff meeting.