“Nice hotel”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Good location and service. The rooms are crazy looking (in a fun way) but comfortable and spacious. Accepts pets - a very accommodating place with very pleasant, helpful staff. It's a little on the pricey end though, so certain things should be included. For example, one complimentary bottle of water in your room should be included. Instead, it costs $5

• Stayed: September 2012
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Thjanks so much for your recent review of the Hotel Monaco Portland. We really appreciate your feedback. Thanks also for your mention of the cost of bottled water. Let me research our competitors and see where that stands. If it concerns you it concerns me.

We look forward to the very great pleasure of serving you again in the hopefully near future.

Craig

Write a ReviewReviews (3,196)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Really lovely hotel in a great location in downtown Portland.

Lovely staff, really nice big rooms, and interesting decor. Recommended.

Restaurant attached does a great breakfast, and the lobby in the evening is great for a drink. Staff at the front desk are really great too,

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland. I'm glad you were able to have breakfast at our on-site restaurant, Red Star Tavern & Roast House. Thank you for the great comments and the recommendations.

Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at this well
Located hotel. Happy hour a plus. Rooms comfy. Great staff offered lots of good suggestions about what to do in Portland. You can walk to everything in central Portland. If you are driving the parking attendants will give you directions.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Jenny2586
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thank you for choosing Hotel Monaco Portland and for the review. We host a complimentary evening wine reception from 5 to 6 PM each evening and Red Star Tavern and Roast House, our on-site restaurant, has an evening happy hour as well. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope that we'll see you next time you're in Portland.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I love Kimpton Hotels! As an InTouch member, you get points toward a free hotel stay and $10 raid-the-mini-bar coupon. This Kimpton did not disappoint. Great room, great happy hour (beer + wine) and friendly, helpful staff. The decorating is a bit garrish for my taste, but I can look beyond the carpet/ wallcovering/ bed spread clash!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank citygal07

Thank you for the excellent review of Hotel Monaco Portland and the great comments about Kimpton! We're glad you've joined our guest loyalty program, Kimpton In Touch. Raid-The-Mini-Bar cards are such a great program perk - you never know when you'll need some gummy bears and a water in the middle of the night!

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I recently spent three nights at the Hotel Monaco. Everything about the stay was excellent - the staff were friendly and helpful; the room (a queen-queen suite) was spacious, comfortable, and nicely laid out (loved the decor!); the hotel itself is in a great location. Sadly, I had to check out a day early - some obnoxious chica named Sandy was threatening to break into my home back East - and the staff were incredibly understanding and sympathetic.

Favorite part of the stay was the squishy, super-soft bear waiting on my bed each day.

Room Tip: Don't know about the room, but if you have anything much bigger than an crossover, let the gents...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I'm sorry to hear that you had to cut your trip short due to Hurricane Sandy. I hope you'll have the opportunity to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

My birthday weekend is fast approaching and i was really looking forward to costume parties, trick or treating & gifts! What I did NOT expect was "the gift of a broken heart". so what does this Halloween baby do? I packed up an overnight bag, hopped on Amtrak and headed to Portland, Oregon - only 19 hours away from where I live! a lot of my friends gasped at the thought of such a long travel but they don't understand, I need an escape! good thing i chose HOTEL MONACO as a perfect getaway for the next 20 hrs that I'm here, yes 20 hrs! the location of this hotel is perfect, its a 10 min walk from the Union Station to the hotel (it took me longer coz I got distracted and took pictures & i got lost). When I finally reached my destination, this weary traveller was greeted by the nicest doormen, an amazing smelling lobby that reminded me of fresh orange blossom orchard, and a very accomodating receptionist, who didn't give me a "look over", considering I look like a mess and prolly smelled like the cafeteria after being on the train for so long. check-in was a breeze and I was in my room in no time! my room was quaint but decorated in cheerful colors, it perked up my mood right away. the furniture colors are the perfect contrast to the gray weather. Clean bathroom, zebra & leopard printed robes and Bigelow & Co toiletries are waiting for me as I took a nice long shower so at least I would look halfway decent when I come down the lobby for the wine & cocktail reception at 5-7 pm. live piano in the background serenaded us. I went for a walk afterwards around downtown- shops, stores, restaurants are nearby that there is hardly a need for a cab or car...umbrella, maybe. to cap off the day/night whatever it is, I ventured out to voodoo donuts where i said "screw u" to my diet. I felt healing is about to happen. Haha! as I trudged my soaking wet stilettos back into the hotel & into my room, I sat on my bed and wondered where did the day go. the next thing I knew I was all snuggled up in the white, fluffy bed and fell asleep... You think that's it?! No because when I woke up and groggily came down to the lobby, I was greeted with fresh brewed Starbucks coffee, Tazo teas, Swiss miss hot cocoa & 3 kinds of newspapers! I know this sounds more like a journal entry than a review but I can't help it! There are so many good things about Hotel Monaco that a short sentence cannot sum it all up. Btw if u were to prepay for a room, I highly recommend going directly to the hotel rather than those discounted web sites, you'll pay the same if not less. Plus you get to talk to a real person, yey!
20 hours is up and now it's time to get back on the train for another 19 hours travel back home. What a weekend, what an escape, what a getaway!

PS I'm slowly getting over that guy

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for the excellent review and great comments. I'm glad that Hotel Monaco Portland, a complimentary wine reception, and VooDoo donuts make a good breakup cure! Our staff appreciates the positive feedback and we hope you enjoyed your train trip back home. Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at the Monaco for a week and had a great experience. The rooms were beautiful and well appointed. The staff was very helpful. My only complaint was that the work-out room was really hot. Not sure if the air conditioning was broken or what. Otherwise, it was a perfect stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and I apologize that that our on-site fitness center was too hot while you were here. I'll speak to our engineering department about the temperature and make sure that we cool the fitness center down in the future.