4 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
$135
Hotels.com$135
Travelocity$135
ZenHotels.com$151
3,692 results
All reviews kimpton hotel red star tavern king suite social hour love this hotel front desk staff the pearl valet parking food carts upon check public transportation lobby downtown doorman funky wallpaper minibar
Sort and selected filters
Sort Filter
Reviewed January 28, 2008

We stayed here 2 nights in January and enjoyed our stay quite a bit. The staff is what I remember most about this trip. They were very friendly, courteous and helpful.

Take advantage of the free wine or beer at happy hour. Their lobby is a fun place to hang out and have a drink.

The room we had was very spacious - a deluxe king. Free Internet is always a big plus for me, too.

The only other Hotel Monaco I've been to was in Denver and these two properties share a lot of their style, but the hotel in Portland is much more spacious.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Trav_Junkie
Reviewed January 26, 2008

Please do not let the last poster's dislike of dogs put you off. This hotel is wonderful in every sense. I've stayed in this hotel many times (mostly recently in Dec, 07) and have never had a problem with staff or guests (dog or non-dog). The wonderful flavor of this hotel is unmatched in the Portland area hands down!

Date of stay: December 2007
4  Thank William T
Reviewed January 21, 2008

Stayed one night at the Monaco while in Portland on business. Overall, the hotel is nice but too many mutts in the lobby for me to consider in the future.

There are a number of things to recommend the hotel. The staff at check-in was great, getting me a room early in the morning (altghough I had to take a smoking room...). Room was nice with great linens, flat screen tv and nice big bathroom. View was terrible (second floor room overlooking construction site out back). Concierge was helpful with dinner plans. The little reception in the lobby was a nice touch.

The real drawback for me was the dogs. I understand they are a pet-friendly hotel but this was too much for me. There were a half dozen in the lobby anytime I went through. I'll admit, I don't like dogs. I think it is extremely unacceptable for people to let their dogs come up to me (in a business suit) and have the nerve to say "don't worry, he's friendly" when they see me step back. The not too gentle kick and reply of "I'm not" usually keeps them away. Keep the mutts in a kennel, not a hotel.

Only other issue was the service in the restaurant for breakfast. Very friendly but totally useless waitress.

Overall, I enjoyed the staff and facilities at the Monaco (and Kimpton in general) but will avoid unless they revisit their pet-friendly policy.

Date of stay: September 2007
3  Thank TravelRevue
Reviewed January 18, 2008

We travel to Portland for business several times a year and have stayed at most of the downtown hotels -- the Hotel Monaco is our new favorite! We booked a king suite which was large and very comfortable. The bathroom was squeaky clean and well appointed with Aveda bath products, lots of fluffy towels and a nice makeup mirror. We ordered room service for breakfast one morning and the food arrived hot, on time and prepared exactly to order.

The front desk and valet staff were always helpful, friendly and extremely accommodating. A staff member even knocked on our door late one afternoon and asked if we needed anything.

A day or two after returning home I was asked to complete a survey based on our experience with the hotel. I had one minor complaint about the Kimpton reservation representative and the hotel manager wrote back to me the next day, offering to upgrade our room the next time we stay.

All in all, we had an oustanding experience and wouldn't hestiate to recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to Portland.

4  Thank SeattleSarah
Reviewed January 15, 2008

My husband and I have stayed at several Portland hotels and Hotel Monaco is by far our favorite. The staff was professional, helpful and friendly and the room was extremely clean and well decorated. We had a king suite...it was spacious and the bed was extremely comfortable. The hotel hosts a complimentary wine reception every evening for 1 hour (I believe)...very nice touch. I would suggest joining their "Kimpton In-Touch" program...it is free and it gives you many options when booking your room...you can select room preferences, etc. The hotel is right downtown....plenty of shopping and restaurants close by (we went to Veganopolis for lunch and it was really good).
We are looking forward to our next stay at Hotel Monaco!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple