5 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
$135
Official Website$135
Travelocity$135
ZenHotels.com$151
3,692 results
All reviews kimpton hotel red star tavern king suite social hour love this hotel front desk staff the pearl valet parking food carts upon check public transportation lobby downtown doorman funky wallpaper minibar
Sort and selected filters
Sort Filter
Reviewed January 21, 2008

Stayed one night at the Monaco while in Portland on business. Overall, the hotel is nice but too many mutts in the lobby for me to consider in the future.

There are a number of things to recommend the hotel. The staff at check-in was great, getting me a room early in the morning (altghough I had to take a smoking room...). Room was nice with great linens, flat screen tv and nice big bathroom. View was terrible (second floor room overlooking construction site out back). Concierge was helpful with dinner plans. The little reception in the lobby was a nice touch.

The real drawback for me was the dogs. I understand they are a pet-friendly hotel but this was too much for me. There were a half dozen in the lobby anytime I went through. I'll admit, I don't like dogs. I think it is extremely unacceptable for people to let their dogs come up to me (in a business suit) and have the nerve to say "don't worry, he's friendly" when they see me step back. The not too gentle kick and reply of "I'm not" usually keeps them away. Keep the mutts in a kennel, not a hotel.

Only other issue was the service in the restaurant for breakfast. Very friendly but totally useless waitress.

Overall, I enjoyed the staff and facilities at the Monaco (and Kimpton in general) but will avoid unless they revisit their pet-friendly policy.

Date of stay: September 2007
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
3  Thank TravelRevue
Reviewed January 18, 2008

We travel to Portland for business several times a year and have stayed at most of the downtown hotels -- the Hotel Monaco is our new favorite! We booked a king suite which was large and very comfortable. The bathroom was squeaky clean and well appointed with Aveda bath products, lots of fluffy towels and a nice makeup mirror. We ordered room service for breakfast one morning and the food arrived hot, on time and prepared exactly to order.

The front desk and valet staff were always helpful, friendly and extremely accommodating. A staff member even knocked on our door late one afternoon and asked if we needed anything.

A day or two after returning home I was asked to complete a survey based on our experience with the hotel. I had one minor complaint about the Kimpton reservation representative and the hotel manager wrote back to me the next day, offering to upgrade our room the next time we stay.

All in all, we had an oustanding experience and wouldn't hestiate to recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to Portland.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank SeattleSarah
Reviewed January 15, 2008

My husband and I have stayed at several Portland hotels and Hotel Monaco is by far our favorite. The staff was professional, helpful and friendly and the room was extremely clean and well decorated. We had a king suite...it was spacious and the bed was extremely comfortable. The hotel hosts a complimentary wine reception every evening for 1 hour (I believe)...very nice touch. I would suggest joining their "Kimpton In-Touch" program...it is free and it gives you many options when booking your room...you can select room preferences, etc. The hotel is right downtown....plenty of shopping and restaurants close by (we went to Veganopolis for lunch and it was really good).
We are looking forward to our next stay at Hotel Monaco!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank Veganlifestyle
Reviewed January 7, 2008

For those of you expecting the Four Seasons, you may be disappointed--the Monaco has more "personality" than striving to be ultra-luxurious. For those of you looking for a wonderfully charming, service-oriented, boutique hotel, this is where you should drop your bags and stay awhile.

The Monaco's location puts it within easy walking distance of the Portland Art Museum, Pioneer Square shopping and movie theaters, the riverfront, and many quality restaurants.

It's an older property which has been updated with the latest amenities, while not sacrificing some of the "old" advantages: complimentary Wi-Fi access for all guests; flat screen TVs; the bedding is as comfortable as any we've tried; complimentary coffee (strong, too!) and tea in the lobby each morning, along with a selection of the major daily newspapers and The Oregonian; the walls and ceilings are thick so there's little chance you'll be listening to your neighbor's late-night antics.

Our party booked two king suite rooms for a week's long stay. Apart from a couple of room accessory miscues, it was a very pleasant experience. The requested room preferences were met, including floor, non-smoking preference, distance from possible construction noise, etc. Issues re: room cleanliness upon check-in, phone operation and turndown requests were quickly remedied.

The concierge, Carole, was terrific, as she met all of our requests re: dining and theater in a very timely and accurate fashion.

The bellmen and valet attendants could not have been more helpful and attentive: Every time we were going out they remembered our names and asked us if we needed directions; in fact, they'll provide you with pre-printed direction cards to a number of popular places...very smart and time-saving. The hotel has its own attached garage so you need not brave the Pacific Northwest's winter elements when leaving or returning.

The fact this property accepts pets made the environment that much more relaxed and feeling like home: Amenities abound for the four-legged guests, as well. The hotel mascot, Art, was not present during our stay, but his bellstand and bed included a chalk board where guests' pets' names could be written for all to see.

For us, as leisure travelers, it was great to mingle with other hotel guests (including dogs) during the daily, 5-6 pm hotel-hosted wine reception: We met and shared dining suggestions with others from around the country who, like us, had not previously been to Portland. The hotel provides complimentary wine and beer during this convivial time.

The attached restaurant, the Red Star Tavern, is not operated by the hotel, but is certainly an above-average eatery, especially good for breakfast (try the house-cured lox, waffles and pancakes). Though we did not try dinner there, it certainly has an appealing menu along with a comfortably modern decor.

Based on this, our first experience in Portland, we definitely will return in spring or summer when the sun visits and make the Hotel Monaco our home-away-from-home.

Date of stay: December 2007
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank EpperJon
Reviewed January 6, 2008

First of all, I have never stayed in a bad Kimpton Group hotel. In fact, I seek them out if I want to spend the money.

A week ago we stayed in the Kimpton Vintage Plaza in Portland. I wanted to compare it to the Monaco. Both hotels offer great customer service and the little touches that make this chain superior. The hotels are located in downtown Portland, about two blocks from each other. Both have about the same rack rates.

Differences:
1, The Monaco is twice the size of the Vintage Plaza. While both are very nicely decorated, I prefer the intimacy of the Vintage Park.
2. Our room was larger in the Vintage Plaza, although that might have been a fluke. Both were nicely decorated with great beds and pillows.
3. The Monaco has its own garage so retrieving out car there was quick and easy.

In sum, both are fine hotels and good prices. Go to them for the good customer care and fine amenities. Next time we are in Portland we will make our choices based on price differences. If they are the same, we would opt for the Vintage Plaza

5  Thank BobPortTownsend