“A MUST-STAY while in Portland!”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 141 Hotels in Portland
vegas
“A MUST-STAY while in Portland!”
Reviewed October 26, 2011

Hotel Monaco is a fabulous hotel. The decor is welcoming and inviting, the fireplace in the lobby is cozy to sit by and the staff is friendly. The rooms are tastefully decorated and quiet. We slept like babies during our stay. This is one of the best well managed and ran hotels I have ever stayed at - and I travel quite a bit. Not only are they pet-friendly, they are people friendly. Love the Hotel Monaco and we will stay there often.

Room Tip: If you have an opportunity to upgrade, it's worth it. The rooms are fantastic. If you aren't...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (701)
Bear, Delaware
Reviewed October 26, 2011

My husband and I began our rail (Amtrak) vacation on Sept. 3rd, our first stop was Glazier National Park. I had an accident that required surgery and left me in a cast and unable to walk. During my stay in the hospital we had to decide if we should continue on with our vacation or fly home from Montana. I wanted to continue and promised if things were too difficult we would fly home from our next stop which was Portland, Oregon. My husband called the Hotel Monaco and explained our situation. There was a wheel chair available upon arrival and we were upgraded to a handicap suite. A bath chair was also provided. The staff was extremely accomadating. The bellboy, Joseph provided us with information regarding places of interest that I could access and enjoy. We originally were planning on doing a lot of biking. We rented a car and enjoyed the sights of Portland. When we returned to our room there was a get well card, flowers and a bottle of wine. All of this was in addition to the comfortable bedding,great location and the entertainment provided each evening duing the wine/beer hour. Needless to say we did not fly home. Next stop would be San Francisco where we had reservations at another Kimton hotel, Hotel Triton.
After my experience I have learned that it is worth the extra cost for the services provided. The kimpton group went above and beyond for us. Thank you !

• Stayed September 2011
TKeleherPDX, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
What a great read! It is reviews like this that make me proud to work with such an amazing group of people. I am so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff took such great care of you. We hope that you enjoyed your visit to the Triton just as much... I personally love their "ice cream" room.

Let us know the next time you are visiting Portland. Maybe you will be ready to try out some of those bike paths by then.

Pullman, Washington
Reviewed October 24, 2011

By far, this was best experience I have ever had at a hotel. I was truly impressed with the staff and their desire to make my stay extraordinary. My wife and I were celebrating our one year anniversary and your hotel made our vacation unique and special. A week before our stay they emailed me asking if they could offer a complimentary bottle of champagne for our anniversary. When we got to the hotel, they upgraded our room - without us even asking for it. Truly a great hotel and staff. I highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
TKeleherPDX, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Thank you so much for your review. We really appreciate all of your feedback... especially since it is so positive! We look forward to seeing you again soon. Maybe for your next anniversary but hopefully before that.

Warmest Regards,

Mexico City
Reviewed October 20, 2011

We went to Portland this month for my husband to run the marathon and found a great deal at the Hotel Monaco, A Kimpton Hotel. We'd never stayed at a Kimpton property but were so pleasantly surprised. The staff could not have been more friendly or accommodating throughout our stay. We were traveling with our 8-month old son and needed a crib which I had called ahead to reserve, and sure enough, when we got our room, it was there, already set up, waiting and with a teddy bear to boot!!! We had gotten a suite, so it allowed a more "private" space for our son to sleep and my husband and I to be able to watch tv, talk, have dinner, etc. and everything was so comfortable. The first night in we ordered room service, the phone staff was super friendly and attentive to our needs, and the waiter who brought it up knocked gently only once, as he said he knew "the little one was probably already asleep." !!!!!! (knocked my husband and my socks off with that one....so thoughtful!!!). The food was delicious and the service was impeccable. BTW, if you're a mac and cheese fan, you MUST MUST MUST order the one on the room service menu (which I think is in the restaurant as well, but I'm not sure as we never got down to dine there). It's hands down one of the best I've tried, EVER. (and I'm a fan).

Overall the hotel is a quirky, eclectic mix of decor, both in the public spaces as well as the rooms. I adored that they have a welcome sign for the doggies staying at the hotel each day! We don't have a dog (yet), but we're big animal lovers and I thought that was such a nice detail. Staff is friendly and the room we had was very comfortable, spacious and adequate for a couple with a young child, although I did notice that the sofa in the "living room" was a sofa bed, so it would probably sleep two older children without a problem.

We would definitely stay there again and Portland is a fantastic city worth going back to!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
TKeleherPDX, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Thank you so much for your review! I have already passed along your comments to our room service staff and they are just as thrilled as I am that you enjoyed your stay. We certainly hope that you will be back the next time you are in Portland... maybe with a new four-legged family member.

Warm Regards,

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed October 20, 2011

We stayed here for a night after a long alaskan cruise. Not only was the hotel well appointed but the service was remarkable. From the unique customized amenities to the thoughtfulness of the staff. Be sure to stay here, it a MUST!

Room Tip: Grand Suite was AWESOME
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Yakima, Washington
Reviewed October 18, 2011

We had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Monaco in Portland recently. We were so pleasantly surprised. We have fallen in love with Portland and had no idea it was such a "dog town". The Monaco was beautifully decorated, helpful friendly staff, great food, luxurious rooms, all the way down to the tiger bath robe. The best part was saying hello to Timmie, the yellow lab mascot! What a great team and family atmosphere. Thanks Kimpton Hotels! Gina Milliron

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ginamilliron
P-town, OR
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Had a surprise night here for my birthday and it was a wonderful.
When we checked in, we were instantly upgraded (no charge) to a lovely suite when they found out it was my birthday. Within minutes of getting to the room, we were gifted champagne on ice! The room(s) are huge, very spacious with a separate bed "room" area. The decor is unlike any other and the bed is actually divine. Free wine at happy hour in the swanky lobby area along with tasty dinner and apps at Red Star Tavern, the restaurant attached.
Fabulous service from valet to bartender.
Only drag was that the 6 phone calls to local places cost me almost $15 :-(
PHONE CALLS SHOULD BE FREE!!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple