“Perfect end to our honeymoon”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Calgary
“Perfect end to our honeymoon”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My wife and I recently completed our honeymoon, which consisted of driving from San Fran to Portland, with a two day stay at Hotel Monaco. During this trip we stayed at many nice hotels and B & B's. The Monaco was by far the best hotel experience. Everyone we encountered at the hotel, from the valets and doormen to the front desk staff and concierge were absolutely great. The staff was helpful and attentive and their advice was always spot on.

The room (Monaco King Suite) itself was a good size and the design was really cool. My wife wants to decorate our house in the same way but says she is too scared so I think we will just continue to enjoy the Monaco's design bravery.

We appreciated the complimentary sparkling wine and the $10 mini bar voucher even though we didn't use the latter (not sure why). The internet was a little spotty but we always managed to make it work eventually. Location of the hotel is great, within walking distance to most attractions. The complimentary bikes are also a nice touch and put even more within reach of the hotel.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough. Friendly and staff, great rooms, good location, and unique extra's. I just wish they had locations in Canada!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
san jose, ca
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Great location in downtown, we had king suit and room was quiet, clean and comfortable, large bathroom. They have wine reception in the evening, come early, since it getting crowded and small snacks run out fast. Hotel is pets friendly, if you have allergy ask for pet free floor - we've asked and had been accommodated - get a room on 5th floor. Had breakfast in their restaurant once, no waiting in line, good quality food. Sign up for their loyalty program (free on-line), it will give you free Internet and $10 coupon for mini-bar which we used for 2 bottles of water in the room. Concierge could arrange you a car with car rental agency (a couple of blocks walk) which you could pick up in the morning and drop-off after hours in the evening in the garage (to avoid parking fees at the hotel) if you want to have a car for a day. 5 blocks away there is beautiful waterfront walk leading to marina. Where we had great lunch at McCormick and Schmicks, outdoor with view to marina. Also walking distant from hotel were 2 expensive, but great restaurants: Andina (Pearl district), Little Bird (3 blocks from the hotel). There is a plenty of inexpensive food around from the carts. There is also one good restaurant which is out of the way, you have to drive there:Pok Pok (at 3226 SE Division St). The only word of advise: do reservation early! I didn't do reservations fro restaurants before we came to Portlans, then when we try to get to one of the mentioned above, we was not able to make any reservation withing all 3 days that we've been there. But Portland restaurants have a rule to dedicate some percentage of tables fro walk-ins, but the waits are L-O-N-G. I mean, very lond, as Andina (Friday night) - 1.5hrs, Pok Pok (Saturday evening) - 2 hrs, Little Bird (early Sunday evening) - 1 hr wait. Wear you walking shoes to be able to walk for 2 hrs while waiting for a table, if you incline to get to some particular restaurant. The same for breakfast places - do reservations, if they have more then 4 star reviews on Yelp.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Southern CA
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We had a great time at this hotel over the July 4th weekend. The service was great; I signed up as a Kimpton In Touch member, and was so delighted to receive sparkling water, fruit, and a yoga mat in my room upon arrival (also free internet!). The room was spacious and clean. Great location in the heart of downtown Portland, close to the waterfront where I had two great morning jogs (and they provided a running map in my room!).

We also at the Red Star Tavern with the $40 credit we received through AAA, and it was very good.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Northern California
Reviewed September 10, 2011

If you know Kimpton hotels, you know to expect some unique elements in each property that make it more personalized and lovable than the neighborhood competition. Downtown Portland offers many hotels that span the spectrum of price points; for my first multi-night stay in this city I went with the centrally located Monaco with the hope for a more local feel/attention from the staff. I'd also been holding a reservation at The Nines (a new Starwood property one block away), but the Monaco won out when very friendly concierge staff emailed me ahead of my stay asking if they could be of assistance, then promptly responded to my questions.

This hotel is classic Kimpton in decor (stylishly funky) and staff (kind and efficient with rare exceptions). As with every Kimpton, there is a daily hospitality hour in the evening -- but this was the most expansive of any I've experienced. Along with complementary wines, beers, and non-alcoholic offerings were a charming piano player, Wii, and painting supplies. At three other points in the day: coffee, then lemonade, then popsicles. And at any time, borrow one of the well-maintained bicycles from the underground parking garage to explore Portland neighborhoods and riverside paths (notable among staff were the front door and garage/valet staff: smart, professional, friendly, and lacking any pretension -- they deserve good tips). Another famed feature of Kimptons is the dog-friendliness, and this hotel kicks that up a notch with resident sweet dog, Timmy, who hangs out in the lobby some days. (An important distinction: My husband and I love dogs but do not have a dog, and we appreciate that there are designated rooms for pet-toting guests.)

The fact that I'm just getting to the guest room details cuts both ways: there's a lot to love about this hotel, but the guest rooms are more standard (we were in a king deluxe room). Sure, the decor is that Hotel Monaco style and the bed is very comfy with good, crisp sheets. There is ample space for work if you're a business traveler, and the bathroom is a good size. But housekeeping attention was lax; many surfaces were dusty or stained, and bathroom walls had toothpaste and make-up splatters. Towels were uncharacteristically old and worn thin and hallways smelled faintly of cigarette smoke. And an in-room safe that required rental via credit card? I've never seen a safe not be complementary if it's in your room.

Skip the bar at the Red Star Tavern attached to the hotel. I've often experienced great food and service (albeit pricier fare) at the restaurants on Kimpton properties, but this place was a surprising turnoff. The Red Star Tavern bills itself as a hot spot for hand-crafted cocktails with a focus on the classic liquors, and brags of its own brand of bourbon. Yet the bartender one afternoon knew nothing of whiskeys or bourbons when asked for a recommendation. Instead, he handed over a list and waited silently for the order. The drink order was a Manhattan, but it tasted like straight bourbon over ice. When my husband questioned the drink, the bartender tensely replied, "It has a cherry, doesn't it?"

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
TKeleherPDX, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Thank you for writing such an in-depth review. As a hotel that strives to be the best in guest service your feedback is very important to us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed all of the amenities the hotel has to offer. I have already passed along your comments to our staff as well as the Bar Manager at the Red Star.

I apologize for the misunderstanding with the in-room safes. They are complimentary in all of our guest rooms. The credit card is used as a secure way to open and lock the safe. I am so sorry this was not communicated well to you and I will look into a way to make this more clear in the future.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to your next visit.

Kind Regards,

Tessa Keleher
Front Office Manager
Hotel Monaco Portland
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Our room was upgraded because it was our anniversary, and there was a complementary bottle of champagne waiting for us. We enjoyed our stay. The fitness room was better than most hotels.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 9, 2011

We spent two nights at the Hotel Monaco in late September. We were greeted by Timmy, a beautiful yellow Lab who belongs to one of the employees. The hotel is a pet-friendly hotel and Timmy greets all his guests :-) Our rooms (we had two) were just what we asked for location-wise. They were spacious, clean and quiet with lots of natural light. We had a minor problem with our toilet which was fixed within ten minutes. The maintenance man left a note apologizing for the inconvenience (there wasn't any) and his note was accompanied by a small chocolate hammer. So clever! The staff was friendly and helpful. We ate breakfast at the Red Star Restaurant which had a nice selection of breakfast and brunch foods. Food was very good. We highly recommend the Hotel Monaco to anyone, with or without pets, for their stay in beautiful Portland.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room on the top floor and got a top-floor corner room away from the elevators...