“Perfect romantic place to celebrate a 40th birthday with my hubby!”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed May 6, 2011

I live in a Portland area suburb. I wanted to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday with a sexy escape. When I arrived, the help at the front desk was helpful providing a map of the downtown and suggestions for restaurants in the area with "dark, romantic" atmospheres. We ate at one restaurant she suggested and it was perfect! Everything in the lobby, elevators, and hallways screamed "plush." The room was gorgeous! I reserved a corner room and I strongly suggest it. In Portland, there is not a lot of light to go around. This room was bright: 2 walls of floor to ceiling windows, decorations in golds and yellows. Everything was clean and luxurious. I liked the TV armoire as it hid the DVD player and large TV. The bathroom was set-up great with some extras: a wall-attached make-up mirror, full bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and liquid soap in pumps attached to the shower wall. The bed and bedding was all snuggly. Just a perfect spot for some romance! (Seems many young newlyweds agree with me judging by all the wedding guests there.)
What I didn't like about the place was the attempts to nickel and dime you. On the desk in the room, a basket of candy bars and other things you might have forgotten at home, with a list of prices right there. And on the bedside table, a large bottle of water with a $5 price tag. And in the bathroom, another price-list for sundries that you can get from the front desk. I wanted to listen to some music. I found a "juke-box" on the TV but it cost money per song to listen to it. And finally, no free wi-fi. You try to log-in, and again a charge. This was an expensive hotel. Some of these extras would have been nice to be included. Or at least, don't have ALL the price-lists out like I was at a Wal-Mart.
On the whole, a very wonderful place. Would definitely recommend to all!

Room Tip: Pay the little extra for the corner rooms!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland

Reviewed May 5, 2011

Great operation.
have nothing bad to say.
Location is downtown.
Beautiful rooms. Picture windows.
Great service
Clean
Quiet
have nothing bad to say (darn)

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed May 4, 2011

The hotel is beautiful and the "living room", where they hold the nightly wine tasting, is comfortable and impeccably decorated. My room was spacious and immaculate - perfect for business travel or vacationing. The hotel is very pet friendly and I was able to meet Timmy as well as other 4-legged guests. Great therapy for someone missing their own pet while on business travel! Every interaction with the staff was wonderful, they were all more than pleasant and very eager to satisfy nearly any request. The food in the Red Star Tavern was delicious and I was also very pleased to see health conscious se;ections on the room service menu. The Slim-Style Oatmeal was a real treat for breakfast! The only downside, and it was minor, was in trying to reach Room Service by phone to place an order. Nearly every morning the call would roll over to Guest Services and they would take a message for someone to call me back. On one occasion, I didn't get a call back and had to call again. On the other hand, once an order was placed, it was always delivered promptly and exactly as ordered by one of their amazing staff members. This was my 4th business trip to Portland and the 3rd time I stayed at this particular hotel. Hotel Monaco will always be my first choice when travelling to the Portland area.

Room Tip: The King Corner room is great - nice street views
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank SBlanchette
Reviewed May 3, 2011

We have been so impressed with the level of customer service provided before, during , and after our stay. Very impressive! We would definitely stay in another Kimpton property. The Hotel Monaco was very comfortable and we loved the comfortable lobby lounge.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CindyK27
Reviewed May 3, 2011

My sister and I used a friend's 40th birthday as a good excuse to come visit Portand. At my friend's recommendation, we picked the Hotel Monaco. I don't think there is anything I would change about my stay~ the staff was warm, friendly and always at the ready to help. Our room along with the rest of the hotel was clean, bright and cheery. Dogs welcome, complimentary happy hour and continental breakfast~ what more could an out of towner ask for? Nothing, it was perfect!

Room Tip: Just ask!
  • Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank jblinick
Reviewed May 2, 2011

They got us basketball tickets even though it was sold out, recommended great restaurants, fantastic wine receptions. Can't fault it

Room Tip: New in town? Ask the staff and take their advice
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WendyNorthWest
Reviewed May 1, 2011

Monaco is definitely my favorite hotel in Portland, when we're leaving the dogs behind. It's totally dog friendly, and dog stays are even free, but my two require frequent walks, and the walking spots are pretty far away from this downtown hotel. Timmy, the hotel dog, is charming.

The service at Monaco is unbeatable. The only minus at the Kimpton hotels is that the windows don't open, so the rooms are hermetically sealed. The beds have these big, fluffy down comforters on them. The thermostat is set for a minimum of 64, and the temperature outside that night was 39. Now every good energy-conserver knows that 64 is too hot for sleeping, and I'm so unaccustomed to overheated rooms, I had difficulty getting comfortable the first night. But one call was all it took to get the thermostat turned down to 60 for a lovely few hours of extra sleep . Thanks, Monaco, and here's hoping you can figure out a way to cool these sealed rooms without breaking the bank.

The front desk person was super helpful, and even stored my farmer's market greens in the concierge refrigerator overnight. The attendant came up to the room to help me figure out the TV--turns out I had the wrong remote....

Our suite was attractive, spacious, and quiet, and room service was great, Wine hour was hopping, with a good pianist playing one night, and a fabulous guitarist the next.

Monaco's location is the best--an easy walk to everywhere west of the river.

I had picked up on a travelzoo offer to Spa Sasse, just around the corner from the hotel, and had a very good massage and facial there--highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business