“Great hotel, friendly staff, will return again.”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed April 20, 2011

We used the hotel parking garage (a little pricey, but very convenient and safe) and the attendants were friendly and efficient both at drop off and pick up when we left. Front doorman always friendly and attentive. Front desk clerks friendly and efficient. Room was upgraded at no cost, very nice room on top floor. Excellent housekeeping. Attached restaurant (Red Star Tavern) had excellent food and no walking in the rain/sleet to get there. The hotel is walking distance to excellent shopping and a short drive from others attractions. We have stayed here five or six times previously, it is excellent each time.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mulebrand
Write a ReviewReviews (3,198)

Reviewed April 20, 2011

I absolutely can say this was the most wonderful experience we ever had at a Kimpton Hotel. The staff made our stay feel like we were at home. The wine hour was delightful with music, tarot reader, samples of chocolate and most of all the staff pouring the wine. The rooms were well appointed and very clean. Valet and bell service very good. The location of the hotel is great as you can walk to shopping, restaurants, get light rail. All in all, we enjoyed beautiful Portland and your hotel made our trip even more enjoyable.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joan925
Reviewed April 19, 2011

From the minute I made my reservation, the service began. I was contacted via email for any special needs or request, was greeted by a very warm and friendly attendant upon check in, was offered assistance in making reservations, directions and fun stuff going on in the city, greeted again upon returning in the evening and made sure I didn't need anything before turning in. The room was nice and clean, the beds were very comfortable, and with check out at noon, I was able to go enjoy a nice brunch and a bit of shopping before having to say my good bye. I will definitely be staying here in the future!

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank shelbylind
Reviewed April 18, 2011

We found this hotel looking for a convenient downtown location and were truly impressed. Despite staying for a very short time, we had a very memorable stay. I received a personalized email in advance of the stay asking for any special requests, and the staff, up to and including the general manager, went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable. The rooms were sparkling and distinctively decorated and rates were quite reasonable for the location and class of service.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank RatDog74
Reviewed April 18, 2011

Staff: My trip to Portland was made more enjoyable by the Hotel Monaco staff. I was in town for a convention being held by the University of Oregon and was impressed from the moment I walked through the front door and was greeted by the front desk agent. I had a package shipped directly to the hotel prior to my arrival, and while I was being checked in the agent informed me that my package was available. Each time I had a question or concern the staff was quick to answer/resolve with a smile.

Amenities: The lobby area to the right of the entrance is spacious and welcoming. They have a mixer each night from 5-6 with free beer and wine. They had a pianist playing to provide ambiance. One of the additional touches that I found family friendly was that they have a tv set up with a Wii, crayons & coloring books, and an easel and paint to keep the children entertained. They provide free wi0fi if you sign up for their loyalty program which was nice. The workout facility has newer equipment that was all in working condition. The cable channels were different, and more abundant in the gym than in the hotel room itself which was a little weird. I do not think they had a pool/sauna which is the only thing that would have made it a complete fitness center. They also offer complimentary "rental" bikes if you have time for it; they ask for a donation of $5 to support the local biking community which is very reasonable.

Pets: This is a pet friendly location. There were several guests walking around with their dogs. They also offer pet goldfish which can be delivered to your room...yes, that is for real.

Room: The rooms were designed and decorated very similar. There was a "living room" area with a tv, sofa with pullout bed, desk, and a stocked mini fridge. There were sliding doors to separate this area from the bedroom which had very comfortable queen beds, and a flatscreen tv on top of a dresser. Everything was clean and well presented.

Food: There is a restaurant downstairs with a direct entrance from the lobby. From the outside it looked like a relaxed local pub but once inside it was more of an upscale dining restaurant. If you are looking for a nice sit down dinner it may be fine, but we were not looking for a $20 burger so we asked the front desk for some local suggestions and they recommended a couple brewpubs and the "pods" (food trucks/carts) that are two blocks north; we ate at the pods for 4 days and was able to get something completely different each day that tasted incredible.

Cost: I prefer to spend my $$ on activities so at $220+ per night I generally would not stay at a downtown location like the Monaco, but I received a discounted rate of almost 50% off due to the convention I was there for which made it a great deal. Even at the normal full rate it is comparable to other hotels in a downtown area, yet you get more for that amount here than at a Hilton or Westin or Hyatt .

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank nmurdock
TKeleherPDX, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review. I am so glad you had the chance to stay with us and experience all of the great amenities we offer. It was a pleasure to have your group in the hotel and we look forward to your next stay.

P.S. Now that you are a member of Kimpton InTouch your are eligible for all kinds of great rates at all of our properties around the United States. Happy Travels!

Warmly,

Tessa Keleher
Front Office Manager
Hotel Monaco Portland

Reviewed April 18, 2011

Just came back from a comfy and classy stay at Hotel Monaco. Loved the decor throughout the entire hotel and the spacious room. Very soft pillows and linens. Great nightly happy hour in lobby. Staff was beyond professional and courteous. Pet friendly, but if no pets you stay on the hypo-allergenic floor and can get a free goldfish in your room for your stay--cute amenity!! Food at the Red Star restaurant next door was amazing, though not for those on a budget.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 17, 2011

We stayed 3 nights at the Hotel Monaco and were entirely satisfied with every aspect. Our family of four (two teen daughters) were very comfortable in the King Premier Suite which was discounted a little with a promo we found on their web site. The other recent reviews were accurate in their assessment of the service and facility so I won't repeat, but we even took advantage of their offer to provide a temporary pet during out stay...an adopted goldfish the girls call "Freddy". The hotel provided the fish bowl, Freddy, and took care of the daily feeding. A nice "home-like" touch during our stay! We always try to search out Kimptons and have yet to be disappointed!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit here at the Monaco Portland. I am also glad to hear that Freddy was a great roommate. I hope that you will be back to see us (and Freddy) in the future.

Warm Regards,