“Pet-friendly and excellent (almost)”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed October 8, 2007

I often stay at the Monaco in Seattle, because it is pet-friendly, but this was my first experience with the Portland location. Overall, it was great, with a couple of provisos.

First, the decor: This hotel looks like it's been decorated by a clown. Not a metaphorical clown, but a clown in the circus! Fabrics are lavishly printed and luxurious. Wall coverings are yellow and red striped and animal prints abound. For bathrobes, you have a choice of cheetah or zebra! So, if you are a mid-century, minimalist, W kind of girl (like I am, mostly) this may not be your cup of chai, but for me it was a fun, exuberant change of pace. At least the decorator had an idea which she wasn't afraid to execute, rare in these days of boring good taste.

My 6th floor suite was quiet and beautiful, with L'Occitane toiletries and a charming stuffed bear on the bed. Usually, I harden my heart to stuffed critters for sale but this bear was really cute, so cute I was tempted to buy him and bring him home with me (the first time this has ever happened). Perhaps I was just missing my dog... Be that as it may, I also like the cashmere-like throw, excellent for a quick read or rest without having to unmake the bed.

Room service was swift and gracious and the food from the adjacent cafe was excellent. There was a lively (but not too loud) bar scene there, perfect for a meal alone. While I was there, the usual afternoon wine reception in the lobby (which was packed!) was augmented by $2 martinis or cosmopolitans, your choice. Your drink contribution went to a worthy charity. What a deal!

I only had two problems at the Monaco. First, housekeeping was problematic on two out of the four days I stayed there. On day one, I left the "make up this room" card on the doorknob at 8 a.m., then came back at 2 p.m. to find the room uncleaned. I called housekeeping. When the staff person came upstairs, she seemed slightly surly and asked if I "still" wanted my room cleaned! She seemed somewhat surprised that I "still" did. I had to vacate for the cleaning crew, which arrived at 2:45, when I'd planned on a quick nap before going out again in the evening. On day two, I decided to speak to the cleaners who were out in the hall to make sure they knew I was going out and would clean my room promptly. There were two cleaners in the hall and both of them said that cleaning my room was not their job. The woman whose job it was could not be found. They suggested I call housekeeping. I did. The phone rang and rang and rang until I finally gave up. I then called the front desk and explained the situation. Not sure exactly what happened, but when I got back that afternoon the room had indeed been cleaned.

Problem #2: I was sharing a room with my college roommate, so I booked a suite, hoping I would be able to work and make phone calls to the East Coast while she slept in, but the design of the suite made this impossible. The French doors from the bedroom to the sitting room were flimsy and looked like they'd be hung as an afterthought. The sheer, transparent curtains on the glass were useless in terms of blocking the light and the sound from the sitting room. Consequently, when I got up at the crack of dawn as I always do (three hours earlier than usual, since I was on East Coast time) my friend had to wake up, too. Which kind of obviates the reason for spending the extra $$$ on the suite.

Update: less than 24 hours after sending a version of this review to the Monaco, I got a very nice note back from the manager, offering to personally book me an upgrade on my next visit. Apology accepted! Will stay there again in June and let you all know what happens...

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank wwwench
There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland

Reviewed September 27, 2007

The room that my Mother and I stayed in had a good view, a very comfortable bed, was very clean and very quiet. For me, the best thing was the stuffed bear named Cinnamon who was sitting on the bed to welcome me when we arrived. The bathrobes were very comfortable - a cheetah one for my Mom and a tiger one for me. I thought the staff was very nice. I suggest that for a place to stay in Portland, Oregon that you go to the Monaco.

Mom's note: My sophisticated 8-year-old joined me at the Monaco for a spa day and overnight stay in downtown Portland during a recent family visit. They were very receptive to both my daughter and myself (a wine tasting in the lobby had easels up for kids to create while adults enjoyed the drinks). Staff was very accommodating. We felt pampered the whole time!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank VAMom54
Reviewed September 26, 2007

Hotel Monaco is a luxurious hotel without being high priced. The room decor is modern and beautiful. We've stayed twice; this time we had a smaller queen room, but it was plenty big. Both rooms were very quiet, i.e., no hall or other room noise. I liked the small touches. The one I especially liked was the lightweight wool blanket/throw on the bed. This meant I didn't have to make the usual choice in a hotel of freezing with only a sheet or roasting under a duvet and comforter.
The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. A nice feature is the free wine served in the lobby every evening from 5:00 to 6:00. Although no breakfast is served, there is Starbucks coffee available in the morning.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank Arlingtontravel
Reviewed September 26, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Monaco 3 nights - September 8-10, 2007. We were ending a 10-day hiking, relaxation, sightseeing trip through northwest Oregon. We picked the Monaco because of its central location in downtown Portland. The corner room was very nice! The room (bed, bathroom, furniture, etc) was way above average. Check-in/out was effortless. All employees were professional, friendly and courteous. If you find spending $30/night on parking (as we did), the SmartPark lots are close (two blocks), secure and only $10 for 24 hours. I had read this was a pet-friendly hotel and wondered if I would have any allergy problems. No worries! I never saw or heard any animals or smelled any pet odors.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank miredintx
Reviewed September 12, 2007

Spent 3 nights at the Hotel Monaco in a standard King room. We got a great rate through Travelocity about 3 months prior to our visit. The staff are outstanding--extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Like all Hotel Monacos that we've stayed at, the decoration/color scheme is very interesting. I didn't love this one, but it worked. We requested a corner room on a higher floor away from any construction noise and our request was met. The room while not huge was very comfortable and very quiet. We never heard any noise. Comfortable bed with nice sheets. The bathroom was a nice size. One annyoing thing was that practically everything in the room had a price tag on it. Maybe they do this at all their hotels, but its the first time it seemed to be literally on everything in the room. All in all a great hotel in a good location.

• Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed September 11, 2007

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco for 3 nights and were very happy with the location, the pleasant front desk and parking staff, the free wireless, the proximity to public transportation, and the low noise level for a central city hotel.

This hotel may be more suitable for couples than the nearby Embassy Suites which has a more difficult parking situation, irritable staff and a more chaotic environment which included many high school cheerleaders in town for a convention when we stayed there a few months ago. It was not a relaxing weekend for us.

Hotel Monaco was relaxing and pleasant. We'll stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed September 11, 2007

I selected the Hotel Monaco for our stay in Portland based largely on the reviews on Trip Advisor and as usual they proved to be correct. The decor is certainly adventurous and the clash of colours is as "interesting" as the clash of tastes going on in US cuisine at the moment. Apart from that, and less then excellent water pressure in the shower on higher floors, the hotel was very good. The suite was large, clean and very well equiped. The location is excellent for seeing the sights of Portland and the doorman knowledgeable about how to get around.
Having stayed here I would definately recommend it and stay at other Klimpton hotels.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple