“Nice Weekend Stay!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Airport
Ranked #51 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed December 6, 2012

A long weekend trip to Portland in order to get a jump-start on Christmas shopping prompted a stay at the ES Portland Airport. The weekend rates were good, the hotel is very close to the MAX Light Rail line Cascade Station (a shopping complex with Target, Best Buy, IKEA, and a host of other national and regional retailers and restaurants.

I have stayed at this property in the past and enjoyed the spacious suites. My room was on the north side of the building which overlooks Portland International Airport. One has a great view of the terminal building, control tower, and runways, should you enjoy this! One would think the noise level would be high, but it isn’t. By 11:00 to 12:00 PM, traffic is minimal.

The hotel is currently undergoing a remodel, so keep that in mind if you plan to stay here soon. I was greeted upon arrival, check in was quick and I received my HiltonHHonors Gold amenities. I really like the extra room of suites, and you can always count on the roominess at an Embassy Suites. I used the fitness center which is well equipped and directly off the indoor pool area.

I went down to the evening manager’s reception for the very limited items and a glass of wine. The one thing I noticed, but did not mention to staff was underage children in the area where alcohol was being served. There was a large sign stating no one under the age of 21 was allowed. Several adults had totally ignored the message completely.

Many hotel reviewers have commented how ES draws families. That seems to be true at most ES’s I have stayed at. I also noticed several dogs in the hotel, and wasn’t sure if this was a “no pets” hotel or not. Well it is, so if you do not want to be amongst dogs, don’t stay here. I just wonder how well those rooms are cleaned afterwards.

The breakfast buffet was a mad house, with no place to sit and enjoy yourself. I decided I wasn’t going to wait so I took my tray and items up to my room and enjoyed breakfast in peace and quiet!

This property is your typical ES, nothing great and outstanding, nor bad. I like this property as it is easily accessible off I-205 and close to shopping and the MAX Light Rail line. This property has a nice meeting and conference facility attached, which is ideal for meetings. Attendees need only catch the MAX Light Rail Red Line from the airport and they are minutes from the hotel, or can use the complimentary shuttle. No need for a rental car for out of town attendees!

Great hotel with very friendly and nice staff. My stay was pleasant and good despite the rainy weekend! Nevertheless, welcome to Oregon!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Dale S
Jim D, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Thanks for your thorough review of your recent stay at our hotel.I am pleased to tell you we have completed our guest coridoor renovation & it looks great.I also noticed that you wondered about our pet policy. We are a pet friendly hotel & provide a few select guest room to accomodate them. We also have special cleaning procedures to thoroughly clean each pet stay room before it is rented to another guest. We look forward to your next stay with us here in Portland.

There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Airport

Reviewed December 1, 2012

We were assigned a handicap corner room on the top floor. It was raining hard outside, and once we were tucked in bed we soon realized that probably all the rain flowed to that corner of the building. It sounded like rain was running gallons a second next to the bed. Other than that the room was spacious but the double bed was too small for two people. There was a little coffee maker contraption but no coffee in the room. We left well before their hot breakfast, however, they had these wonderful peach muffins available, some fruit juice (try their peach orange juice) and coffee. I wish we had more time to explore the lobby and indoor pool. The inside is beautiful with the streams containing Koi, and the atrium with plants. The top floor was under construction but we had no disturbance from it. Easy shuttle to Portland Airport for early morning flights.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side away from the Max Line which starts running in the early morning.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jim D, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thank you for your positive feedback on your recent stay & for your observations on our rain gutter system. On the latter qwe are looking at how we might insulate the sound from the rain. We look forward to providing you outstanding hospitality on your next Portland Trip.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

On airport property, the Hotel is being updated but is still a very nice Hotel. Too far from any offsite restaurants to walk to them. The onsite bar is too small, and the chairs are too low. The best thing about this Hotel is the location, other than that a standard Embassy Suites property.

Room Tip: water view as usual.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

We apreciate your Candid feedback & will work to continue to meet your needs in Portland.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

We needed a pet friendly hotel in Portland for a visit with family at Thanksgiving. We know Portland is a pet friendly city and this hotel was a perfect option for our family. The staff even had a pet bed set up in the room for our dog. We had a very quiet corner room and the layout of the suite worked well for us. There is a bar area, a managers reception each evening, a restaurant and a free breakfast buffet. We did not have time to enjoy the pool, but we would stay here again when traveling with our dog. Our flight home was very early and this location was an added bonus for us.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for Positive feedback on our hotel our team here is focused on caring for our guests & they were excited to read your review.
With WarM Regards

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed there with a group over the weekend in November - First, the hotel is very nice when you walk in - nice waterfall and "rivers" -- We ran into problems when we first walked into our room --- It Smelled like Dog PEE!!! Also, clearly there had been someone else in the room before us - There were several Butt Prints on the bed! Then to view that we had - The arch and roof - And nothing else - And we were only on the 2nd floor.
I went down to the front desk to ask if we could move rooms because of those reasons - The guy I spoke with said "Oh, well sorry about that, but there's nothing I can do" -- I asked to talk to someone else and he told me he was the only one there.

Great - Right!?!?

So about an hour later I went back down and there was someone else at the desk - I explained to her about the room and she said "oh, sorry about that" -- I guess that's the line they are taught when they first start...

She did agree to give us another room ---

We were happy until we went into that room... Smelled like Dog Pee too!!

We will NOT be staying there again!!!!

Also - if you plan on using a debt Visa card - they will add $50 to your bill without making you aware!!!

Poor Service & Smelly rooms!!

Room Tip: Great looking lobby - Close to airport - But you couldn't hear the plans, which was great consid...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Jim D, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

We were most disappointed to read your review. We value your feedback & patronage. We have investigated the source of the odor issue you mentioned & corrected it. The smell did not come from pets ,but improper use of a cleaning chemical. we would love to have you return as our guest to experience the true hospitailty of our hotel. Please contact me @ jim.dodson@jqh.com to make your reservation.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

My husband and I recently moved from Minnesota to Oregon. We had a park and fly hotel there which was our go to place when we had an early flight. We had tried several other PDX park and fly hotels and just didn't like them. The Embassy Suites at PDX will however be our new go to park and fly. The restaurant in the lobby is good and seems dependable plus the service was excellent - we had a question on a cheese from the cheese plate and Jessica (I believe that was her name) not only answered our question but then returned later with more information about the type of cheese. It may seem like a small detail but that level of service is above what we would expect for a hotel restaurant.

The rooms were as expected for a park and fly. The internet was free for us (as Hilton Honors members) and workable. Shuttle service is on demand to the airport. I cannot comment on the complimentary breakfast or cocktail "hour" (really lasted 2 hrs, I believe). We were up too early for breakfast, and, although we arrived while the complimentary cocktail reception was going on, we elected to go to the restaurant rather than the cocktail reception.

In short, we will definitely be back in the future when we have an early flight!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the positive Impressions you shared about your stay at our hotel. We strive to provide a outstanding experience for all our guests. I have passed this you observations onto our team.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We booked a Hotwire hotel and landed at this location -- and we were thrilled with it. Traveling with two small children (ages 3 & 5) means that we especially appreciate getting an extra room. But not only that, they also had a GREAT pool and hot tub, a central waterfall, and yards of indoor streams with koi swimming lazily around. The front desk gave each kid a small bowl of fish food and they spent 15 minutes doling it out in various locations, running from bridge to bridge -- what fun! The glass-sided elevator which looks out at the entire lobby (and other floors) was also a source of entertainment for us. Every trip out of our room was like an amusement park ride for the kids.

The free breakfast was quite good -- I'd recommend the omelets, which are cooked to order. Coffee was only so-so, but I'm picky. The kids loved the pancakes.

The room was clean, spacious, and very comfortable. Two TVs was also useful at various points (kids in one room with cartoons, adults in the other with the news). The shower was hot, and the water pressure was good.

There were a couple of drawbacks, but they were minor for us:
1) They are in the middle of some upgrading, so there were people hanging wallpaper outside our door -- only in the middle of the day though, so generally not a problem. The bedroom is in the back, so the only place where you could hear it was in the living area and the kids were napping in the bedroom at the time.
2) The location is right next to the airport, so you do get some noise from planes landing and taking off -- even in the middle of the night. We travel with a white noise machine, so this didn't bother us much.
3) You can hear the waterfall from the living area. I found it kind of relaxing -- like listening to the rain.
4) The decor is slightly dated -- but again, I didn't mind this at all. It worked perfectly for us -- and the kids loved it all.
5) You do have to pay for internet, but parking is free. (This is NOT the case with downtown hotels -- the Hilton hotel we had originally booked charged $22/day for parking and is the reason why we decided to cancel and go to Hotwire instead.)

All in all, I'd love to stay here again.

Room Tip: Hmmm.... I don't know. We were on the 4th floor and it seemed great.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Jim D, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
It is great to hear that you had a first class stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon!
Embassy Suites Portland Airport