“Great Location But Nothing Spectacular” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Portland Marriott City Center

Portland Marriott City Center
Ranked #37 of 137 Hotels in Portland
Pittsboro, North Carolina
“Great Location But Nothing Spectacular”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Please read my profile for my biases.

I am a big Marriott fan, and this was the last Marriott property in Portland I had yet to try. There were a couple of reasons for this. First, it tends to be booked solid and second it is a bit pricey. When I found out months ago that I needed to be in Portland I was able to get a room at a decent (yet still spendy) rate and I was eagerly awaiting this visit.

Meh.

It's hard for me to write this, since the room itself was fine, the staff friendly and the location perfect, but there was nothing here that really stood out. My Platinum status didn't get me any extra love except for the usual lounge access, and the lounge was just okay. The breakfast was fine but the evening appetizers were a little uninspired, and when the lounge wasn't serving there was nothing but drinks. I've come to expect from other Marriott properties little snacks, etc. Again, I feel like complaining about the complimentary lounge access is like going to a soup kitchen for sustenance and complaining that the soup is too salty, but I'm just trying to get the word out so that other travelers know what to expect.

There was a positive: they gave me room 1506 which was right across the hall from the ice machine, which was loud. However, I could not hear it in the room.

Summary: while I wouldn't complain if I was booked into this hotel in the future, I'll probably go back to the one on the Waterfront for my next trip.

Room Tip: Rooms x06 and x01 are right next to the ice machine. This wasn't a problem for my room, 1506, bu...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Location
    • 4 of 5 stars
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Thank you for writing this review. I took in everything you had to say and I do appreciate your honest. I am happy to learn that you aware of our great location, friendly staff and room quality. I appreciate that you brought up some details to my attention as well. It helps me to take information to the appropriate hotel stay in order to fix an issue no matter the size of the issue.

If you are looking for a hotel that gives you easy access to everything in the in city I do hope that you consider staying with us again. Feel free to contact our Guest Relations Manager. He will be more than happy to help plan your next stay with you. Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
LaGrange, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here three nights at the beginning of our vacation and really enjoyed it! Our room was very clean and excellent!! I do agree it can get a little noisy in the lobby, but it was fine after the larger groups left for the day. The guest services staff and the valet service staff were very friendly and knowledgable. It is is in a central location, so we either walked or took the MAX the entire time. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
I am so happy to find that you had a great time with us while on your vacation. It sounds like you really took advantage of everything Portland has to offer. Our public transit, parks, food scene and everything else that we have is top notch. I hope to see you again soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in a great area. The facility is very nice and has plenty of amenities and somewhat updated rooms. One feature i really liked was the study / office on the second floor. It was very well appointed and a nice place to have informal meetings. One negative is Marriott makes you pay for wifi a huge fail for hotels in 2014.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank aschwegm
Thank you writing such a great review! i am so happy to learn that you enjoyed everything our hotel has to offer. We try our best to make our guest as comfortable and happy as possible. We hope to see you soon.
Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Beautiful. Excellent staff. Great location. All the pieces are there. So what's the problem(s)?

My biggest concern is one that the hotel can control - the room doors are LOUD. *Every* time a door is opened, it slams shut with a tremendous bang and shakes the floor. This is unacceptable in a hotel that charged us $260/night for each room. My friend had the same frustration.

My other frustration was with noise from other guests. I was unlucky enough to be surrounded by a group of young men who spent the night slamming their doors and literally shouting to opposite ends of the hallway to each other. After repeated calls to the front desk, and them heroically trying to stop the problem, I was moved to another floor at 2am. I can't fault the staff - they responded as well as they could in the situation. But it was frustrating to experience such guest behavior in a hotel in that price range.

Street noise is also a bit of a problem, but that's to be expected with the location.

Positives? Duh, it's a Marriott. Which means most things were as expected. Beautiful room. Comfortable bed. Great bathroom amenities. Spotless. Excellent staff.

But ultimately, the noise from the doors means that I will never again stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Cleanliness
1 Thank kevin_from_AKandCO
pdxct, Public Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
I wanted to take the time to thank you for writing this review. I would like to start by apologizing for all of the disruptions that you experienced. We rarely have guests that behave like this but when it does happen we try our best to take care of problems like this. Again, I do apologize for this.

I would also like to thank you for the kind words you shared about our hotel staff. We do our best to satisfy our guests in any way possible. If you ever choose to visit Portland in the near future, please try us again. Have a great summer!
POWAY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

The nice feature of this Marriott is its location close to most everything downtown. Only two blocks from the rail stop makes it easy to come in from the airport. The staff was very friendly. The bar area is small and not suitable for large groups. The room was quiet and well appointed. I would stay here again if visiting downtown Portland.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for such an honest review. I am happy to find that you did appreciate our great location. Everything is so close which makes for an even better stay. I also noticed that you found our bar area to be more on the small side. If you ever to need a space for a larger group of people we do have options for you. Thank you again for staying with us and I hope to see you again soon.
Emporia, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

This is a fun hotel. Nice bar and restaurant with fun bartenders and waits. We got in late on a Thursday and our waiter was great. When he found out this was our first trip to Oregon, he went and got two large books on Oregon and brought them to our table. He told us just to take them to the front desk when we were through - very nice and unexpected. All of the staff was helpful and provided good information as to local restaurants and places to see. I would love to go back. We were on the concierge level but the view was really the best from the concierge lounge, and not our room.

Room Tip: I would go for a low room or one that faces the mountains. The city view is just not much. The loc...
Green Features: This is a green hotel. I liked it. It is not over the top. It is a good, clean, well maintained hotel with the green vibe.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Location
1 Thank Mike H
Thank you for such a great review. I am so happy to find that you had such a blast. We are always here so please stay with us again soon.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed at the Marriott City Center (not to be confused with the other Marriott in town) and were pleased with the room, nice new furnishings, cleanliness, but were sort of surprised that with the high price for the room they did not offer what the less expensive hotels offer for free. I have to say that the bed was extremely comfy!!! But, with paying almost $400 for the room, taxes, fees and parking, the WiFi was not free, the breakfasts were extremely expensive (we did not eat there). It was convenient to the things in town that we were seeing and that is the only reason we stayed there as opposed to a hotel outside of town. I didn't feel we got our money's worth.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
      Cleanliness
1 Thank RZCruiseQueen
pdxct, Public Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Thank you for the review. I am sorry to hear that you feel the price of your room was too high. The reason why you experienced such a high price for your room is mainly because it is Portland’s high tourism season. The city of Portland is experiencing the highest number of visitors ever and all of the hotels including ours are all pricing according to the level of demand that we are experiencing.

I would like to recommend to that you try visiting Portland on it’s off season. There are plenty of things to do around the city year round without the large number of crowds and competition for a room in our hotel. I hope that you do decide to visit Portland again and I hope that you decide to try our property again as well. Thank you again for writing to Portland Marriott City Center.