“Perfect location”

Ranked #43 of 140 Hotels in Portland
phx
“Perfect location”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We really liked this hotel. It's more like a boutique hotel. Perfect location to walk around town. The bed was super comfortable. Parking is expensive but that is pretty standard. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: Upper floor
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding our comfortable hotel. We are grateful of your satisfaction in the boutique feel as well as the new beds we introduced with our renovation earlier this year. In regards to parking, we are proud to offer one of the lowest Valet rates in the downtown area while providing a private 24-hour secured and staffed garage. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Portland and thank you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Central Oregon
Reviewed February 16, 2014

There is a reason that I stay at Marriott's across the US - simply put - Customer Service. I arrived nearly 5 hours before check in thinking that I would store my bag at the front desk and enjoy the city. They actually let me check in and found me a room very suitable for a Platinum Elite member. As I was unpacking, I dumped my glass of soda all over the bed. I called down to the front and explained the problem and the front desk said they would fix the issue. It is important to know, it was completely my fault. I left and returned back at 5:00 and still no new bedding. I left for dinner and again returned at 8:00 and no new bedding. I called down again and the front desk said they would send someone, 1 hour later - I called again and said all I need were sheets and I would change the bed. A half hour later a very frazzled gentleman arrived, but had the wrong size sheets. He returned and again had the wrong size mattress pad. I felt bad for the guy as he was trying. Finally, by 9:00 pm, I had the bed made and was ready to turn out the light, then the phone rang and it was the front desk following up on the service. Very nice touch.

The next day I returned to my room after a day of long meetings to find a very nice apology note for the delay from the night before, a bottle of sparkling water and a box of local Moonstruck chocolates. The note was signed by the front desk. Remember - it was my fault the linens were dirty.

Two days later I went up to the concierge lounge for the evening dessert to find that there was no cheesecake. Matthew, the attendant was great. He apologized that he had mistakenly listed cheesecake as an option on the menu for the day. He kinda joked around that he was a liar and that he is working on that - I gave him a bad time back and said no worries. It was probably better on my waistline. I went down to the bar for a nightcap and when I returned to my room there was a piece of cheesecake and another handwritten note from "Matthew the Liar".

It was very evident that the staff goes out of their way to be sure guests are comfortable and happy. Thank you for such a great week in Portland. I will be returning this week and look forward to the great service and cheesecake.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for the entertaining review of your stay with us and I am pleased to hear the exceptional customer service created a memorable experience for you as our loyal Platinum guest! I certainly apologize for the small bothers you experienced; I am so delighted to hear they were handled in a way exceeding your expectations. We look forward to welcome you back this week; your cheesecake will be waiting! Thank you again.
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I was very pleased with this Marriott. The rooms were well kept. The linens were fresh and luxurious. And the staff was friendly and attentive. Net, net - a little bit nicer than a standard downtown Marriott.

I attended business meetings here and the banquet staff was outstanding. I was amazed at how the staff was on the ready to help us with our various requests.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SunshineGirl2929
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
What a wonderful review! Thank you for the kind remarks of the fresh condition of our rooms and the friendly, attentive staff. We are excited to announce the upcoming launch of our new Red Coat Direct program, an application that will allow you to make requests from your meeting room’s mobile device directly to our banquet attendant. We look forward to exceeding your expectations with this new program on your next visit! Thanks again!
Vancouver Canada
Reviewed January 28, 2014

First off, this hotel is right downtown. We stayed for 3 nights as a quick weekend getaway. Walking distance from the Amtrak (though, it's a good 15 minute walk), we didn't even bother using the transit system because everything was essentially walking distance! Lots of great bars and tons of shopping only minutes away.

The staff was incredibly friendly, and quite willing to give us any information we wanted.
Now the downside. The reason for three stars is a plethora of little things that kept adding up.
Firstly, Housekeeping would bang on the door every morning at 8:30am waking us up pretty brutally. We like to sleep-in during vacations. There was no coffee maker (first place we've stayed in a long time without one). In room wifi was $10 a night, while most department stores in Portland offered it for free! The window in our room was quite small and at an awkward angle, quite a shame for being on the 18th floor. Even the really minor things such as your room key. It was just a blank plastic card with no logo or anything on it (and we like collecting these as mementos where we've been)

While we were right downtown we also often accosted by the homeless, and they are the most aggressive we have ever seen. They are on every street corner. While not the fault of the Marriott, it is something to take into consideration when booking this hotel.

We booked via one of the hidden booking sites and got a steal of a deal compared to the posted rate. I would easily give this hotel a 4/5 using that price. I would not recommend it with the going rate on their website.

Room Tip: The beds can get very warm at night, set thermostat accordingly.
Green Features: Products seemed environmentally friendly, but hotel seemed minimally interested in such practices.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Aleksander T
Thank you for the thorough review of our hotel! I am delighted to hear our friendly staff provided you with the information necessary to create a wonderful weekend getaway and that you were able to walk to each of your desired destinations. I apologize for the disturbance caused by our Housekeeping staff attempting to service your room each morning and we invite you to please utilize the Do Not Disturb sign so that we may honor your request to sleep in. We are pleased to supply coffee pots in each of our guest rooms along with complimentary coffee, tea, and accompaniments and I regret that you were not made aware of this in-room offering. We also have refrigerators in each room; keep this in mind if you end up with leftovers from one of the amazing restaurants nearby!
We pride ourselves on attention to detail and I express my apologies that, during your visit, our room keys were unmarked while we made the transition to a new design. It would be my pleasure to mail you a key card, complete with our logo, to make your collection complete. Please contact me directly and I will ensure this gets to you immediately!
We hope to have another opportunity to host you and treat you to our wide array of amenities. Thanks again!

kassie.barone@interstatehotels.com
Oregon
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Lovely room and friendly staff. Exactly what I would expect. Just AVOID the restaurant. It was one of, if not THE WORST meals we have ever had. See notes about room location. Check rates again before travel - Marriott website showed a lower rate, I called and they honored it. Parking fees are $$$ so take that into consideration when comparing prices. Location is convenient to hopping on light rail/street car or walking to various downtown neighborhoods. Peets and Starbucks are both very close by.

Room Tip: Upper levels (14 and higher) with rooms ending in 06 through 09 should have a great view of the Broa...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank prtlndblnd
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor and providing your praise of our rooms and our staff! I am alarmed of your experience with our restaurant as we recently received honors for quality and service. Please contact me directly so that we can address your specific concerns, as your satisfaction is our ultimate goal. We appreciate your feedback regarding our convenient location are happy to offer one of the lowest Valet parking rates in the downtown area, with a secure, private garage allowing guests to leave their vehicle and enjoy our beautiful downtown area by foot. Thank you for the insightful feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.
kassie.barone@interstatehotels.com
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Marriott had a great AAA rate so we decided to stay at this location (there are several in Portland). This one is not directly near the max but is a few blocks away.
Pros : Location- Only a ten minute walk away from The pearl district, and very close to voodoo doughnuts. Lots of restaurants nearby. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable.
Front desk staff- Taylor and Megan were very friendly and helped us check in and gave great recommendations. Much appreciated!

Cons: The bartender, Joel, was very short/rude. We usually enjoy the hotel bar to relax in and have a few drinks but he seemed rushed/didn't care. So after one drink we left and headed across the street to hotel Valencias bar, who had excellent service.

Internet is $9.95/day, I feel like most hotels have this included these days.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for your time and care in providing your feedback! I appreciate your recognition of Taylor and Megan at the Front Desk who truly exemplify our spirit to serve and I will share your kind remarks with the team. I sincerely apologize for the impression you were given in our DEN Lounge and will address your concern as this service is not typical of our staff. I thank you for informing me of your experience and we hope to be given an opportunity to welcome you back with the genuine care you can depend on. Thank you again!
Hawaii
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Conveniently located within Downtown Portland. Easy walking to shopping and food venues. Room large and roomy. Concierge Lounge food good, view of city better. Valet Only parking pricey. Staff very helpful and courteous. Only concern: though I put out the 'Do Not Disturb' sign, housekeeper kept servicing my room.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback! I am delighted to hear of your satisfaction with our amenities and staff, each of which contribute strongly to an enjoyable visit. I am surprised of your unusual experience with the Do Not Disturb sign and invite you to contact me directly so that we may look into the details of your visit, as we appreciate the opportunity to ensure our staff’s proficiency on our practices. I look forward to addressing our shared concern!
Guest Service Ambassador