“Excellent Service”

Portland Marriott City Center
Ranked #41 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I visited Portland, OR. for the first time for a fraternity conference and we stayed at the hotel. I was very pleased with the customer service and attention to detail from the front desk agents. Rachel, Charlie, and Michele (the front office manager) did an excellent job in accommodating me and the guests I traveled with. As a front desk supervisor at an independent hotel across the country, I was very happy to receive the highest level of customer service satisfaction that I expect out of my own employees. The banquet manager, Preston, was the star of the weekend, always providing us with outstanding service. He was incredibly genuine and always willing to assist us during our stay in the Winery Room for our meetings. The rooms were outstanding and the staff at the hotel really knows how to make the guest feel important. I'm hoping that our next fraternity conference is held in Portland at this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Given your extensive knowledge of the business, we are truly flattered by your kind feedback and are elated to know you received exceptional customer service in all aspects of your stay. Thank you for the insightful feedback and I will be sure to pass on your praise to our team members who truly went above and beyond in ensuring your stay was enjoyable. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you to Portland! Thanks again!

Reviewed November 12, 2013

We arrived in Portland for a wonderful family weekend with three generations of women. Upon our arrival to the hotel, we were shown our room and much to my teenage daughter's surprise, the beds in the wheelchair accessible room were doubles, not queen-sized. We simply requested a roll-a-way bed and within 5 minutes, Jason, an incredible young man, brought the bed along with a hefty supply of blankets, pillows and of course plush bath robes. We really appreciated his kindness and generosity! The next morning, we found a hand-written note from Jason, welcoming us to the Marriott and wishing us a lovely stay in Portland along with three complimentary breakfast tickets. What a pleasant and kind gesture. The staff at this hotel couldn't have been any nicer. The location is fantastic as well.....simply a haven for "foodies," chocolate lovers, avid book readers and those who appreciate wonderful music!!!! We LOVED the season opening of the Portland Youth Philharmonic - a wonderfully talented organization. Seriously - the staff at this hotel is fantastic - very accommodating, kind, helpful and really made our stay special!

Room Tip: We had difficulty with the wireless connection in our room. The room was wheelchair accessible and...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your stay with us! I am elated to hear our staff service exceeded your expectations and we contributed to a wonderful weekend for your family! Jason truly exemplifies our dedication to hosting brilliantly and I will be sure to share your satisfaction with him. The two different bed options we have in the entire hotel are one King bed or two Double beds, and it is always our pleasure to deliver a complementary rollaway to better accommodate your needs. Thank you again so much and we look forward to another opportunity of exceeding your expectations!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We got our room through Priceline so it was a gamble where we were staying, but we were quite happy with location right in the middle of downtown close to everything. We opted to pay for valet parking mainly for security reasons which is $34 and as we left for our concert I realized my car was sitting on the street where it remained all night upon our return at 2:30 in the morning and when we woke up the next day??? When I questioned the front desk she did not have a answer for me and even though it was clear I was displeased did nothing to make it right. What is the point of paying to have your car parked in a garage if they never park it there?? They also don't seemed concerned at all with customer concerns. We will not be staying here again and I would not recommend this hotel

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Yvonnepickner

In an unusual circumstance of performing maintenance on our private garage, we occasionally rent an overflow garage to utilize in addition to using the space on our secured drive. This drive area is located directly in front of the hotel’s entrance and is under 24-hour surveillance as well as staffed 24-hours a day. Because the date of your stay is unknown, I am uncertain of the exact circumstance that evening; however, I can assure you that your vehicle remained safe and secure under our watch. I apologize that this was not well explained to you by our desk staff and I appreciate you giving us the opportunity to use this as a training tool to further the development and improvement of our team. I hope you enjoyed the concert and thank you again!

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed at the Marriott Portland City Center Hotel for three nights. Great location! Two of the days we just hung out downtown, and walked everywhere (third, we took a tour). The hotel had a great central location to roam around Portland. Close to everything. We got a pretty good rate online (although when we looked again a few weeks later, those rates were gone), and called the day before to request a high room (which was accommodated). Room was really nice and comfortable, and service was excellent! Only minor complaint at all is that we were a family of 4 (and kids are older) and there are no rooms with queen size beds (so the beds felt a little small). Would stay there again in a heart beat.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Thank you so much for your insightful review on our hotel; it is our pleasure to accommodate your special requests and thank you for giving us the opportunity to do so by calling ahead. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit and the city of Portland as well! On your next visit, perhaps one of our Parlor Suites would be a comfortable room of your family. The room and contains more square footage than our standard rooms and is equipped with one King bed in the bedroom portion and a sofa that pulls out into a double bed in the living room portion. We look forward to accommodating you again the future!

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend over Halloween. The location is great, super convenient. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the room was clean and comfortable. It was also quiet, which was nice. The only complaint is no free wifi in the room. Most places we stay have it nowadays.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for providing us with your feedback! We strive to provide consistent service for each guest that we have the opportunity to host and appreciate you letting us know we achieved our goal. It is our pleasure to offer complimentary Wi-Fi in the lobby, in our complimentary 24-hour business center, and also on our second floor DEN area which we have transformed into a relaxing space equipped with couches and tables convenient for productivity. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Portland!

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Booked a weekend getaway at the hotel, choose this hotel due to the cost and location downtown. It it conveniently located in central downtown Portland. 2 blocks from the TriMet (Light Rail) which was handy getting from and to the airport. I arrived late at night checked in and was given the room in the back of the building in the back corner (the worst room on any floor) when I walked in the room it had not been cleaned! I immediately went back down and the clerk apologized and ended up changing my room to a nice corner room with a great view of the city. I went down to the bar to get a glass of wine, when I got to the bar there were patrons there but no bar tender. After waiting for about 5 minutes, I finally had to go find someone to find the bartender. Once he got back to the bar it was like I was inconveniencing him, I got my wine and headed back to my room. Over the course of the weekend I noticed that the TV connection was spotty at best with frequent loss of connection. When we would return to the room at the end of the day the room was not has clean as I would expect, the bath room was not swept, the beds looked thrown together like whoever was cleaning the room was in a hurry and just did the most basic clean up. They definitely need to have a conversation with their cleaning staff. The upside is the location, it was easy walk to the Pearl District, China Town even the East Side. That was it's only saving grace.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for spending your weekend getaway with us here in Portland and I am delighted you were able to enjoy a wonderful view of the city! While our convenient location was a positive aspect of your stay, I am saddened to hear there were aspects that did not meet our standard of service. Our guests often complement our excellent bar staff and I apologize for the occurrence that delayed our bartender’s service that evening. We are committed to exceeding the expectations of our guests and if there are specific aspects we can address during your stay, such as TV concerns or housekeeping service, it is our pleasure to do so! Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you as our guest again on your next visit to Portland.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Booked by third party and got a great rate. Then read the reviews of what others had said and was worried. I can now say that, Im sorry that they might not have had a good experience but I did!. Staff was great! Very out going and was NEVER treated any differently than anyone else. I stay in hotels M-F 3 wks at a time and this was very classy yet down to earth. Smack downtown so walking distance to most anything that you would want to see! My only issue is that I stay in many hotels and almost most don't charge for internet anymore. I think places like this will nickel and dime you for everything! Most places as a member give me a bottle of water and a gift when I check in and Marriot charges you $3.oo for the bottle in your room. Really Marriott get with the times, and cater to the mid grade travel that will fill your hotels. Other than that I will recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: If booking as third party ask for an upgrade to a higher floor for a view, I heard if you don't...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Brent S

Thank you so much for your feedback! Your insight is essential in achieving our goals of providing enjoyable experiences to each of our guests. Please enjoy our complimentary Wi-Fi service provided in the lobby, the second floor DEN area, as well as our complimentary 24 hour Business Center. While the convenient bottled water available in your room does come at a cost, we are fortunate to have excellent quality drinking water in Portland which can be enjoyed in your guest room with the drinking cups provided. Again, thank you so much for the review and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Portland! Take care.