“excellent location”

Portland Marriott City Center
Ranked #42 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed April 7, 2008

Arriving at noon, I had no problem checking in.
The staff through out my stay was pleasant and helpful.
The location is excellent just a few blocks from Pioneer Square
with a cafe on the corner.
My room had a comfortable king size bed, but the TV was a bit on the small
side to watch from bed due to the distance.
The shower had the curbed shower curtain rod, which added space in the
shower but did not allow the door to open fully
into the bathroom.

A plus was the individual AC/heater with thermostat.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled solo

Reviewed March 9, 2008

While planning for a Valentine's Day weekend trip, we had planned to stay at a boutique hotel with a $150-200 price tag. On a whim, I tried Priceline and was amazed to get the Marriott City Center for the bargain price of $50! The price was definitely right and we were completely happy with the property as well. The staff was helpful, the room clean and the spa was relaxing. Bath and Body Works toiletries were a nice bonus! We walked all over downtown from this prime locale. The lobby was smaller than I expected but I wasn't spending much time there so it didn't matter.

After two nights, we headed to the coast for an evening and then were coming back to the Marriott for our final night in OR. At the first check out, we mentioned that we would be back and requested a higher floor to get a different view of the city. When we returned, we were given a room on the top floor of the hotel with concierge service. Free snacks in the early evening and free breakfast in the morning. Fantastic!

I would definitely recommend this hotel and would encourage others to consider it.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KrisSS
Reviewed March 1, 2008

Portland Marriott City Center

This is a fantastic hotel! The decor is beautiful and very boutique-like: this place feels smaller and more welcoming than a lot of large properties do. All the staff were so friendly and helpful, from the front desk, the doormen, the maintenance people (we called about a minor issue, and it was fixed promptly), and the bartender at Shula’s lounge. The concierge hooked us up with a really great segueway tour also—our request was not at all too weird for him to help with. We noticed the manager held the front door for us, or was otherwise visible and involved in a very positive way with guests and staff. We had a gorgeous corner room (I’d encourage anyone to pay a little extra for one of these), which was very clean and had an amazing bed. We also loved the downtown location, and walked everywhere from the Marriott, although, honestly, we really loved being inside the hotel so much that we didn’t want to go everywhere. I would stay here again in a heartbeat!! Highly recommend

And, we really appreciate all the tips from tripadvisor reviewers about how great this hotel is.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Midwestcouple
Reviewed January 26, 2008

This is a mediocre Marriott. Room was small and for 200.00 a night I was stuck next to the maid's office on the 5th floor. Stay at the Lucia. Better prices and nicer rooms.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 25, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel several times due to employer hotel preferences (not by choice). Each time, I stayed here, I found inconsistency in the quality of customer service across staff and room type, which is why I am giving this hotel a 3. Sometimes, I have a terrible experience, other times it is above average.

Customer service is spotty at night. Even when rooms are plentiful, they will still not move you or upgrade you unlike other major hotels. Twice, I found myself checking in at night with unhelpful staff, and then in the AM, the 9:00AM shift gladly moved me to a better available room.

If you book the standard city view you may end up on a low floor hearing a factory's fan. Noisy! Book mountain view and double check that they honor it. Room is quiet with great view.

In both room types the interior is comfortable, clean, and warm. Large desk & good chair; internet connection worked fine; task lights; comfortable bed (comparable to the Westin heavenly bed); good toiletries (Bed Bath & Beyond).

If I had a choice - would I stay here again? No. It's a gamble - - the inconsistency in customer service provides too much uncertainty. When I book a hotel, I want to know exactly what to expect.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank BornwithPassport
Reviewed January 20, 2008

Usually stay at the Westin in Portland, but they keep their rates high (until last minute when hotel not gonig to fill). Get a litlte sick of dealing with that... so booked the Marriott, concierge floor deal for $150 or so a night. Room on 18th floor was quite lovely ... very large, good quality a/c and heat, and great beds. Enjoyed it a lot and would go back in a heartbeat!

Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed January 7, 2008

Lovely hotel. Clean lobby, lifts and room. Friendly helpful staff.
Good size room with large comfortable bed and lots of pillows. On the 14th floor (requested a high floor) so good views and minimal traffic noise. Centrally located so within walking distance of most attractions, although trolley cars and buses are easy to use and free within central zone. Free internet room. We arrived early but were able to book in immediately.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple