“All the great reviews are true!”

Portland Marriott City Center
Ranked #44 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“All the great reviews are true!”
Reviewed March 1, 2008

Portland Marriott City Center

This is a fantastic hotel! The decor is beautiful and very boutique-like: this place feels smaller and more welcoming than a lot of large properties do. All the staff were so friendly and helpful, from the front desk, the doormen, the maintenance people (we called about a minor issue, and it was fixed promptly), and the bartender at Shula’s lounge. The concierge hooked us up with a really great segueway tour also—our request was not at all too weird for him to help with. We noticed the manager held the front door for us, or was otherwise visible and involved in a very positive way with guests and staff. We had a gorgeous corner room (I’d encourage anyone to pay a little extra for one of these), which was very clean and had an amazing bed. We also loved the downtown location, and walked everywhere from the Marriott, although, honestly, we really loved being inside the hotel so much that we didn’t want to go everywhere. I would stay here again in a heartbeat!! Highly recommend

And, we really appreciate all the tips from tripadvisor reviewers about how great this hotel is.

• Liked — excellent service and location
  • Disliked — can't think of anything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Midwestcouple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
MA
Reviewed January 26, 2008

This is a mediocre Marriott. Room was small and for 200.00 a night I was stuck next to the maid's office on the 5th floor. Stay at the Lucia. Better prices and nicer rooms.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Value
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 25, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel several times due to employer hotel preferences (not by choice). Each time, I stayed here, I found inconsistency in the quality of customer service across staff and room type, which is why I am giving this hotel a 3. Sometimes, I have a terrible experience, other times it is above average.

Customer service is spotty at night. Even when rooms are plentiful, they will still not move you or upgrade you unlike other major hotels. Twice, I found myself checking in at night with unhelpful staff, and then in the AM, the 9:00AM shift gladly moved me to a better available room.

If you book the standard city view you may end up on a low floor hearing a factory's fan. Noisy! Book mountain view and double check that they honor it. Room is quiet with great view.

In both room types the interior is comfortable, clean, and warm. Large desk & good chair; internet connection worked fine; task lights; comfortable bed (comparable to the Westin heavenly bed); good toiletries (Bed Bath & Beyond).

If I had a choice - would I stay here again? No. It's a gamble - - the inconsistency in customer service provides too much uncertainty. When I book a hotel, I want to know exactly what to expect.

• Liked — Proximity to everything: business, shopping, restaurants, MAX
  • Disliked — Front desk/ customer service is not consistent
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank BornwithPassport
Austin
Reviewed January 20, 2008

Usually stay at the Westin in Portland, but they keep their rates high (until last minute when hotel not gonig to fill). Get a litlte sick of dealing with that... so booked the Marriott, concierge floor deal for $150 or so a night. Room on 18th floor was quite lovely ... very large, good quality a/c and heat, and great beds. Enjoyed it a lot and would go back in a heartbeat!

Stayed January 2008
Alberta
Reviewed January 7, 2008

Lovely hotel. Clean lobby, lifts and room. Friendly helpful staff.
Good size room with large comfortable bed and lots of pillows. On the 14th floor (requested a high floor) so good views and minimal traffic noise. Centrally located so within walking distance of most attractions, although trolley cars and buses are easy to use and free within central zone. Free internet room. We arrived early but were able to book in immediately.

• Liked — Cleanliness!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank UKAdventureGirl
Sacramento, California
Reviewed January 6, 2008

Our stay at the Marriott Cty Center was a very good one. Rooms are well appointed, there is a nice fitness center and we enjoyed the hot tub as well.

Very good location in the heart of downtown. You can easily walk or take the trains (public trans) to get around. We took the train in from the airport and it was about a 25 min. ride for $1.50 and then a half block walk to the marriott front doors. There is a Pete's coffee and a Starbucks within a block. Lots of shopping and great restaraunts within walking distance.

Beds are very comfortable. Internet is available for $10 a day. I've stayed here twice and the first time we were given an "inside room" (no view of the city,) our cell phones didn't work in the room, but when given a room with a view they worked fine.

Concierge was able to provide great recommendations and was knowledgeable about the area. The Saturday Market which takes place on Saturdays AND Sundays was a lot of fun and a short walk.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
seattle
Reviewed January 2, 2008

The worst hotel experiance in 25 years!

I travel extensivly through out the Pacific Northwest, I normally stay with the Starwood Brand of Hotels. Now I know why.

Upon check in the front desk was very attentive , they all greated me with a smile etc... My second night was a completly different scenerio. The Valet took almost 25 min. to retrieve my car, making me late for a meeting. The lobby is freezing cold! And I mean Cold. I actually feel sorry for the employees of this property. Management must not care about the concierge and front desk people. When I returned to the hotel, I had a later evening dinner in the Restraunt. They have a Shula's at this property....basically an out back Steak House with El Gaucho prices, which I have eaten at several times and is excellent.

The next day I contacted the sales department and spoke to a catering manager, in regards to holding a last minute meeting. She seemed very unproffesional and not aware of any thing. A big disapointment.

Needless to say, I am not someone who complains to the staff when I am staying at a Hotel, but when you come to Portland, try the Westin until the new Nines opens up. What a shame to have such poor service in such a great city.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business