“Good deal”

Portland Marriott City Center
Ranked #43 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel for the price. The room was clean and quiet. Room service was average. Valet parking was$32 for 24 hours. I didn't get a chance to try the hotel restaurant or any of the ones nearby. Hotel is a few blocks from Powell's bookstore. The staff were pleasant and helpful. Good deal for a city hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012

Reviewed July 4, 2012

not knowing Portland when we booked, we thought this would be a good location. actually, it's an amazing location! you can walk to everything in downtown, across the river and in Washington Park.

the good:
comfy beds
ipod dock on bedside clock
location
quiet at night
reminders to conserve by turning off lights and air con
reception staff very helpful and nice

the bad:
NO notes about keeping towels or sheets to use day after day - a contradiction to the conserve energy message on the door.
the bedside clock is super bright at night

the strange:
the lobby was very disjointed and not very welcoming

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I live in Portland so it might be strange that I'm writing a review for this hotel. My cousin and I decided to have a "staycation" for our birthdays so we could just relax and hang out and be in the middle of downtown for dinner, drinks and spa time.
I booked the hotel room online and the rates for this hotel were much less than the other comparable hotels in the area. I had made a note on my reservation that we were coming to stay for our birthdays and was surprised that when we checked in we had been upgraded from a standard room to a suite.
Our room was very nice and it was at the end of the hallway which made it quiet. I was surprised how quiet it was overall as well. During the night I didn't hear anyone else above us, beside us or any flushing toilets (a big pet peeve of mine).

This location on Broadway is about a block from the MAX line if you are coming in from the airport or want to go to events at the Rose Garden or just travel around town. There are plenty of restaurants and shopping around as well.

I can't wait for another excuse to stay here again!

Room Tip: If you book your reservation online you can request a high floor. I can't guarantee a good view...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 23, 2012

This review may be somewhat skewed because I had just flew in from New York. The moment I walked into the hotel, it just had the look and feel of a grand New York City hotel. It has a great vibe, nice front desk staff and large rooms.

The hotel is in a great location where you walk to everything cool in the downtown and Pearl District.

Highly Recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights June 8th thru the 11th. The hotel is in a good locaton 2 blocks from the lightrail. There are good restaurants within walking distance.The hotel is a typical Marriott nice rooms and comfy beds.You can get all around towm from the hotel by walking. If you don't want to walk you can aso take the lightrail. I took the lightrail from the airport and it stops less than 2 blocks from the hotel and costs $2.40. I would stay here again and also take the lightrail to and from the airport less than $5.00 roundtrip.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and you wil get a view of the river and Mt. Hood
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Location wise, the Marriott Portland City Center is in a great spot of downtown Portland. You are only a couple blocks away from the MAX public transportation trains which will take you to/from the airport if you're from out of town. It's also in walking distance to plenty of restaurants, a block of food trucks, and Pioneer Place for shopping (or Ross if you want more budget shopping). Pricewise, you'll find that you're paying a premium price for its location in downtown and while it wasn't a terrible quality hotel, I don't think it was worth the money. Valet parking will also run you a ton of money on a daily basis so that's why we went carless during our Portland stay. I bet it's great for business people who need the downtown convenience but not as much for the casual traveller.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank solarsnorkeler
Reviewed June 8, 2012

The lobby at this well located Marriott property is pretty soulless, if not down right depressing. Small drab and uninviting. The rooms are of usual Marriott standard, relatively big but not exceptional. The fitness facilities were good but not great. Overall the place seems to lack the usual Marriott sparkle I found at their other properties. Even with a free upgrade I wasn't impressed. Clean but not elegant or special by any means. There are far more fun places to stay in Portland.

Room Tip: Try and get a high floor with a street facing room. It's far more interesting than an interior f...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business