“Perfect downtown Portland location”

Portland Marriott City Center
Ranked #43 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Seattle, Washington
“Perfect downtown Portland location”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

The good:
1. We booked our room through priceline.com and got about 45% off and we got a good room for what we pay. If we had to pay the full price for the room though, it would have not been really worth the price.
2. It's walking distance to everything in downtown. It's right next to shops (Nordstrom, Macy's, etc), restaurants, the light rail transit and some tourist attractions.
3. I originally booked a king sized room but I needed to switch it to a double twin and they were accommodating enough to do it.

The not so good:
1. Our view was of the dumpster or it may have been their back entry.
2. Parking was $35 (valet parking). There's a public parking next door for $21/night but if you go another block or so from the hotel, there's another one for $12/night.
3. No free continental breakfast (it may have been just our reservation but I've paid less on other hotels and got free breakfast!)
4. No free wi-fi
5. No microwave in our room

I would recommend staying here if you want to walk around downtown, no car and got the hotel room for half the normal price.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank ChasingSunset

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I wouldn't stay here for a romantic weekend getaway, but given I had business meetings downtown it more than met my expectations. Clean, sizeable rooms, good customer service. I can usually count on Marriott for this.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Kermie9
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed February 21, 2012

All in all, a decent hotel in the heart of downtown Portland. We stayed in a regular king bed room. A recent review said that the bed was "rock hard." I would agree that the bed could have been more comfortable and would have expected it from an upscale hotel chain. However, the room was clean, the furniture was in good shape and functional, and the bathroom was clean (even though it had a strong disinfectant smell). There was a bit of noise from the closing of doors down the hall. I would also suggest that the front desk staff take a few hospitality tips from Kimpton Hotels. At check-out I was told that there was a bottled water charge from the day before. When we pointed out this mistake on our bill, the young lady at the front desk seemed peeved that she had to make the correction. The City Center Marriott is an average business hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gdw993
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Bottom like, if you can't sleep because the bed should have been replaced 10 years ago, it's a bad hotel. Shame on you Marriott. I can get a better nights sleep at a much cheaper hotel that has upgraded their beds. Marriott is way behind the times on this.

• Stayed February 2012
Chicago, IL
Reviewed February 17, 2012

If you want a central location in downtown Portland, this is it. All the shops and restaurants are within walking distance, and Pioneer Square is not that far either.
I am not a Marriott Reward member, but I found a great rate through a 3rd party travel website, so I decided to give it a try. I am glad I did.
This is a good boutique-style hotel, the room is clean and the staff is friendly. Too bad our stay in Portland was short, I wouldn't mind staying here again in my next visit to the Rose City.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jason C
california
Reviewed February 4, 2012

I got this hotel on Priceline for $65 a night (!!!) and it was GREAT. If you're coming form the airport grab a $5 all day pass for the TriMet (Portland's public transportation system, the pass is good for the lightrail, buses etc..) in 45 minutes you are downtown Portland! This hotel is a short 2 block walk from the station. Once inside it is a small lobby, but it does what it needs to, checking in was a breeze, I called the day before for a "no feather" room and was happily accommodated. The whole 12th floor is a PURE allergy/asthma friendly floor. You even get a air purifier in your room! :) I was in room 1201, not a view of anything unless you classify heating/air conditioning items as decor. I didn't care though, I wasn't in Portland to sit in a room and look out a window. Great location, and great beds! You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Barracudabby
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Overall: Stayed for business meetings, great location with respect to the MAX and great shopping. Unsure if I would stay here again, there seem to be quite a few hotels in the area that I would like to check out! Stayed in room 514, nothing exceptional about the room, functional and practical.

Check in: Checked in on a Wednesday night, and no issues/challenges. I had to make two reservations as my schedule changed and needed to add an additional night (hence the one night at $60 more). This was a bit of a pain in the butt as I had to come back down to re-check in.

Rates: Through a travel agency, $189 for first night, $129 for the next two nights.

Resort Fee: None

Internet Service: Did not use.

Toiletries: Shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and body soap (Bath and Body Works Line).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business