Lowest prices for your stay
Marriott Bonvoy member rate available
Hotels.com
Fully refundable before Thu, Apr 25
Get rewarded with One Key
1,115 results
All reviews great location high horse front desk pioneer square valet parking corner room within walking distance per day the pearl two blocks valet service very nice hotel powell's books hotel restaurant voodoo donuts tyler lobby
Selected filters
Reviewed October 1, 2007

This hotel was chosen for a business trip to Portland. The central location was very close to shopping, restaurants, nightlife and more.

My check-in was very easy and pleasant. The lobby is lovely and the hotel looks recently remodeled. The hotel staff was prompt and courteous at the front desk. I did not get the higher floor room that I requested, but I did get a lovely city view instead.

My room was clean and fresh. The bed was very comfortable with multiple pillows and upgraded bedding/sheets. The courtesy water in the room was almost a year (!) out of date, however. I was suprised not to have wireless internet access in the room. The hotel uses iBahn in the rooms which is a wired broadband connection that is packaged for a $9.95 fee with unlimited local and national calling.

Check out was smooth. I put my bags in storage for the day so I could enjoy Portland and everything was in order when I returned. I had arranged that morning with the doormen for a limo/towncar to the airport. When I arrived back at the hotel, it was not on the books. Fortunately, they were able to get a car for me within a few minutes, but it did add stress.

The towncar is a good deal because it is only $39. A taxi ride to the hotel from the aiport is about $35 anyway.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
4  Thank chrisfeature
Reviewed September 30, 2007

We were celebrating our anniversary on this trip and the Marriott made it a wonderful memory for us. We were upgraded to a concierge level room at no additional fee and had champagne on ice waiting for us upon our arrival. We had a beautiful view of downtown and a wonderfully clean and comfortable room. Every staff member we spoke to smiled and was polite and helpful. With the dodginess we experienced while out in Portland it was almost like the Marriott was our refuge. We would recommend to anyone wanting to be within walking distance of all the fantastic public transport Portland has to offer.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank Judybat16
Reviewed September 29, 2007

I tried to find a downtown hotel location where we wouldn't have to pay for parking. At first, I couldn't find any, but the Marriott's weekend rate was so low that even with the parking, I thought it would be a good choice. After searching a bit more on their website, I found a package that included parking for free.
When we arrived, the check-in process was fine. Our room was large and very clean and well maintained. We had two double beds and still had room for an added rollaway. Overall, the facility was great. The bed linens were good quality, and so were the towels. We asked for extras, and they were provided daily.
As for the service... it was not bad, but really average. No major complaints. When I say "average," I mean it was good enough, not exceptional. You just have to remember that it's a Marriott and not the Four Seasons. I wish that all hotels had minimum service as good as this was. People were pleasant, competent, and tried to help when possible. The valet service was swift. We always called ahead and never had to wait. One reason why I say the service was average is that whenever I asked questions regarding the city, several of the workers had no knowledge about it and would say they had not lived in Portland for very long. Although they were polite, they just couldn't help us. Exceptional service would be taking it to a higher level above average.
The location was very convenient... central to everything in the downtown. We would definitely stay here again and would recommend it without hesitation.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Adventurer803234
Reviewed September 9, 2007

Stayed with my daughter at the Portland City Center Marriott the first week-end in September. Arrived in town on a Friday afternoon, and couldn't (as it turned out, luckily) get to the curb to get valet parking.
I ended up going around the block and parking in the parking garage accessed via Alder Street. The hotel's valet parking is $24 a day, which appears to be about standard for the area, but the parking garage was considerably less (and appeared to be the same place where the hotel parks your cars) so I ended up only paying around $20 for two days instead of $48 plus the always necessary tips.

The lobby of the hotel was small, but nicely done. Check-in was slightly unsatisfactory, as the front desk person seemed to take an instant dislike to us. We had booked on Hotwire (at $100 for Friday night and $90 for Saturday night, a pretty darned good deal) and the front desk clerk was confused how we ended up with two different reservations for our two day stay (long-story). After some grumbling, she managed to get us in the same room for our stay, but was unable to get us two beds.

Once we got to the room, we were pleased. For an in-town hotel the room was fairly spacious. The bathroom was small, but had a marble vanity and plenty of space for cosmetics, hairdyers, etc. The bathroom also had Bath and Body Works toiletries and both the bathroom and the hotel room were very clean. We were on the 16th floor and had a nice view.

The hotel's work-out room is nice. Newer equipment and flat screen TVs to take your mind off the torture. There is also a large jacuzzi adjacent to the gym (but no pool).

The hotel has a Don Shula Steakhouse, but I was unclear if that was the only restaurant. There are plenty of really good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, so unless you're dying for a steak, I'd recommend getting out and exploring some of the great nearby restaurants.

All in all this is a pretty good (and centrally located) place to stay if you want to visit downtown Portland.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Traveling_Therapist
Reviewed August 25, 2007

After staying at the Marriott Waterfront every time I visit Portland, I was accidentally booked at the Marriott City Center on Broadway. I never thought it would make any difference since Portland is so small, but staying at this Marriott, it made it so much more convenient to visit around Downtown Portland and the Northwest area. I felt that I was in a whole different world.

When I arrived at the property, the entrance of the hotel was very clean and inviting with doormen ready to open the door for you. The lobby leading to the check in counter was decorated very warmly. The staff when I checked in was very friendly and polite.

I proceeded to my room. It was very clean and crisp. I called for extra towels and the staff brought it up in less than 10 minutes. Everybody was so friendly. The room made it so relaxing after a long flight from New York. The bed was so inviting and when I plunged my sore body on it, it was so comfortable and fluffy like clouds.

Here is the bad part of the stay that could ruin the rest of your stay. Every time I come back to the hotel after a trip of shopping or a walk in town, you will always see a lot of doormen in front of the door. Unfortunately, they are all too busy talking to each other than to open the door for you. They are always busy doing something rather than open the door for you. I have to struggle with my bags and my cane and a bad back. The door is not “disabled” friendly either. It is so heavy to open and stay open.

Aside from the doormen issue, the property is quite pleasant to stay at for someone who loves to walk around downtown and those who love to shop around downtown. Great location and value for your money.

Date of stay: August 2007