“Such a deal so close to the city and shopping”

Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach
Ranked #21 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This facility has all the basics PLUS free alcoholic drink options in a nice room to visit. We were traveling with another couple and we could easily meet for the great breakfast. The rooms were big with two tv's and updated decor. Reasonably priced and in a good location...I will go there again for sure.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,494)

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I spent labor day weekend here with four other family members. The staffing is not all that great and when we went swimming they had the hot tub closed off for testing, the pool water was cloudy and after swimming two of my family members got sick. the next morning the breakfest food was okay, but not great. Later that night another family member got sick while one of the first stayed sick all weekend long. When we were gone from 8 in the morning to 8 at night we were all fine; but upon returning we all became ill. We had not eaten from the hotel since that first time and the rest of our trip staying there was not plesent. The only good thing was the soft beds and air conditioning.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Katrina S
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stayed two nights during the week in August. Called ahead to change my reservation and had no problems. All staff (bar, reception, cleaners, etc) were genuinely friendly and seemed to be happy to be working there.

Room was clean and tidy. Everything worked (tv, lights, electrical outlets, etc). Good water pressure for the shower but a fairly small tub. The toilet/shower is separate from the sink (located by the front door) which can be weird for some. They are green-friendly so shampoo/conditioner/body wash were larger refillable bottles that were attached to the wall and not to be taken home. They do have a smaller body lotion you can have. The scent of their products was orange and I found it refreshing.

The pool is small, but fine for a quick dip and my 2 yr old toddler. Complimentary pool towels available but they're small (not like the bath towels in your room). Fitness room was adjacent to the pool/hot tub/sauna area. Looked decent. Business area was across the hall and had two computers for guest use, including a printer. There is also one computer and printer in the front lobby area. No charge for the computer OR the printer. Nice if you're looking to print out directions, or coupons for outlets. ;) Free wifi in the hotel if you've brought your own device.

Parking is free and there is lots of it around the hotel. It is walking distance to shops.

Breakfast was over at 9am, but if you wake up early enough, it's worth it. They served different items for the two days we were there. Staff available to make eggs to order. They must have also read the reviews because for the second day (when it was a little busier), they had a middle section set up with the same food so you didn't have just one line for the food.

The evening reception included free beer/wine/spirits (not unlimited, you receive vouchers when you check-in) but they also have complimentary salad and soup too which was a welcome amenity after our long drive in from BC.

Overall, I was happy with this hotel.

Cons: I don't think you can count your stay towards any rewards program. Depending on what you plan to do in Portland, it may not be conveniently located. Although it's "15 minutes from downtown", don't count on traffic being on your side.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Penelope N
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Traveling with my wife and two upper teenaged kids, we need a place with some room, and as many 'included in the price' extras as possible.

For us, four nights at the Oxford Suites Jantzen Beach was just what we needed. Much better priced than the equivalent sized accommodations downtown, the access was still pretty good (right on to the I-5 ramp, and downtown in less than 10 minutes); also a quick, easy run to the excellent restaurants in the MLK/Fremont district.

The breakfasts were better than what I expected (better than HI Express, but not as good as Embassy Suites), and the custom egg prep station was much appreciated. It was nice to get a couple of beers included in the room rate each evening.

True, the local area is nothing to write home about, but we spent our days in Portland, and always had a great dinner at places like Ned Ludd, Toro Bravo or Tasty & Sons. I would say the only drawback of the location is the fact that it's pretty well lined up with the main runway at PDX, so you get a fair bit of jet noise.

Our 1-BR suite was large, with good temperature controls (important, because it was hot and muggy during our stay), and a pool which was nice for a cool-down dip after a day in downtown Portland.

The staff was very friendly, both housekeeping crew, and at the front desk (they answered numerous questions from me about how to get around, what restaurants were recommended, and how to get to the MAX rail station).

Not luxury accommodations by any means, but more than adequate for our purposes, and good value for the dollar.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank steveston78
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I read the reviews and compared the price with other Portland hotels and that got my attention. So I booked it for my wife and I for three nights.
I also read that getting on and off the I-5 was a challenge. As soon as we took the off ramp, we saw a sign to the hotel pointing to the opposite direction to get to the hotel. Rather than follow the ring road that would have gotten us to our destination, we decided to go back on I-5. We drove north,back across the bridge and turned around in Vancouver, WA and made another attempt. This time we got it right. (In hindsight, we should have followed our written directions...)
When we checked in, we were greeted by a friendly and professional front desk receptionist. Our King room was clean and spacious and the best part was that the Wi-fi worked worked without any problems.
The complementary drinks at the lounge in the afternoons gave me a chance to sample some of Oregon's finest craft beer. When I did buy a pint, it only cost me $4.00. The young men
working the bar were very efficient and professional even when it got very busy.
We heeded the advice on going to the breakfast buffet early, (just after the military jets flew over) to get ahead of the crowd. (The lineup can sometime streach out the door). The food was fresh and was very good.
When you add up the all the incentives, (did I mention free parking), this hotel is great and recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SteveHall
Reviewed August 21, 2013

First time staying here and for the price, I was impressed with the hotel. The room was spacious and clean. The staff was friendly. The breakfast buffet was ok. The afternoon 2 free drinks was excellent, just enough to tie you over until dinner. My husband and I love to walk the beach in the morning but there's no Jantzen beach! or at least the front desk personnel didn't know where it was. We decided to sleep in but around 8 ish, the plane started flying over and boy! it was loud and they kept coming. I would stay here again if I plan to get out of there early.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pamseattle
Reviewed August 20, 2013

August 2013
The receptionist was really sweet, professional and great. I got to this hotel at night & it looks pretty creepy at night, the area doesn't look great but it does have quite a few fast food places & some restaurants. My room was on the backside of the hotel which looked dark and unlit, I parked and saw two guys trying to get in the back door but then walked away, not sure if they were guests or not, seemed pretty shady. I waited in my car for awhile before I got out & as quickly as I could got inside, elevator wasn't too far but it didn't work and my room is on the 3rd floor, tried the intercom by the elevator but no one ever responded, I started llugging all my stuff to the lobby and ran into another elevator by the lobby, that one worked & quite a few of us were waiting for it. The hotel is very old, I walked into the room & I couldn't believe how awful and old everything looks, the smell was not a good welcome. It was shocking, I had to go back to the website to see if this is what they showed, I always look at the rooms, I must've just looked at the first room picture which looks modern and clean, it does look clean but the sheets look so used I'm not going to sleep well wondering if there are bed bugs or how old these sheets are, I travel quite a bit for business & also for fun & this is one of the most ghetto looking placesd I've stayed in, so if this sounds good, the price is right!

Room Tip: they seem to be good sized rooms, I'd rather have a nicer room than a bigger room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank gabecasta
WesternTrvlr, Manager at Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

While we are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay, we are thankful for your feedback. We are happy to report that the elevator is in operation after a minor issue arose, and understand that this can be a difficult for someone traveling alone with luggage. We will share your feedback with our staff and look for ways we could have made your stay more enjoyable. Thank you again for sharing your comments.