“Best Stay in a long time”

Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach
Ranked #22 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This hotel by far exceeded my expectations! I have stayed in my share of hotels and I found this one to be outstanding. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The breakfast comes complete with made to order eggs. The free breakfast is not a standard free breakfast. The variety for breakfast far exceeds other hotel free breakfasts. They also offer a free reception. Very nice touch! When I come to Portland again, I will definitely stay at the Oxford Suites!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank br0wnq

Reviewed July 7, 2013

The bulk of this review will concentrate on the things I want to know about a hotel - breakfast, workout facilities, internet access, and transportation. I've been to Portland several times; staying at the Oxford Suites was a first. Staff all very pleasant and welcoming. The suite is fairly large. It's not a true suite; there's just a partial wall separating the couch from the other part of the room. We used that couch daily. and enjoyed having it. Wireless internet was free, fast, and reliable. Room was clean, although one day they did not service the room - bed not made, no fresh towels. When we notified front desk staff, they just had someone plop new towels by the sink, and didn't even take the dirty towels. I overheard staff on the phone with another guest on our floor, who also was calling down because their room was not serviced. Hmm. This is why I can't give the hotel a rating of "excellent." The hotel was very quiet, even though there were quite a number of children and several dogs staying there. The bed was extremely comfortable, but the drapes did not reach the floor, allowing quite a bit of light underneath (and there is a LOT of daylight to Portland's summer). The bedside clock was obnoxiously bright, even when I turned it to face the wall.
Breakfast - plentiful! (We were there 7 nights) You can get egg whites, fried or poached eggs made to order, and request veggie sausage. Buffet offerings varied slightly. Always scrambled eggs, usually waffles (crispy), some kind of potato, and sausage or ham. Lovely homemade pancakes once; never french toast. Never bacon. Fruit - orange quarters and bananas, sometimes applesauce. Hard-boiled eggs daily. One variety of flavored yogurt,and greek yogurt (yay!). I can't comment on the coffee, as I don't drink it, but they had a selection of Stash teas (yay!) - except the last day, when they had run out of both English Breakfast and Lipton black, leaving only decaf or flavored teas (boo!). Hot chocolate, orange, apple, cranberry juice, and milk. A pastry selection; sometimes including good smallish croissants, or cinnamon rolls. Several kinds of bread for toasting, including English muffins and bagels. Usually some mini-muffins, too. Four kinds of cereal, cream cheese, and peanut butter. There is a bottled water dispenser.There are apples at the front desk, too. I usually eat Paleo, and was always able to make a filling, and protein-laden brekkie. The last hour of breakfast can be crowded and the line moves slowly then.
We didn't do the evening reception much, but popped our heads in sometimes. Always included iceberg lettuce salad greens, carrots, and cucumber, crackers. Sometimes potato chips, often soup. They do not seem to refill evening food items when they run out. Red wine was ... okay, along the lines of 2-buck chuck (for the non-Californians out there, this is a 2-dollar bottle of not-completely-terrible Charles Shaw wine sold at Trader Joe's). Rum and coke one night had a generous pour of rum.
Workout facilities - gym has a few cardio machines and (I think) one of those multi-exercise weight machines. No mats, no handweights, no exercise balls. I only ever twice saw anyone in there, and once it was just some teens who weren't really working out. Bottled water dispenser here, too. Used both the pool and spa, which were nice and clean - we were alone in there, which was an unexpected bonus - but it was a gorgeous day outside, so probably not unexpected. No, you can't swim laps, but in what hotel pool is that a possibility? There are towels for the pool area on a rack poolside. Sauna and steam room both looked great, but I did not get a chance to use them. You could probably get in a decent run near here, but I didn't see any running paths. Maybe there's one by the river. No gorgeous or quirky, quintessentially Portland neighborhoods to keep you entertained while you run here, either.
Portland is quite the foodie town, but you wouldn't know it from this area. Only fast-food and a few chain restaurants nearby. There is a Starbucks, a Target, a Ross, and a Home Depot (No, I don't know why you would need a Home Depot when you are out of town).
Unlike my trips to Portland in the past, this time we had a rental car. Hotel parking is free, but expect to drive where you need to go from here. I'm pretty sure this area is not on the Max line, but there should be buses. The hotel does offer an airport shuttle, so perhaps you could take the shuttle to the hotel and then take the Max downtown - I don't know the shuttle schedule, but taking the Max from the airport is very doable.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Token6500
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

The Oxford Suites Portland we found to suit our needs as an over night stop on our long journey up the i5. The rooms are large, comfortable and clean.
Having come from the OS in Redding CA, we knew breakfast was included, however we were delighted to discover that there were FRESH eggs, made to order, fresh bacon and freshpancakes at OS Portland... Sooo much better than the daily carton scramble egg offerings at Redding..!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank JoeOutAndAbout
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The hospitality was outstanding. Breakfast and reception in the evening made for an excellent value. Pam at the front desk, Kevin in the kitchen, and Bianca behind the bar made our stay even more special. Excellent spaghetti.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I stayed at the Oxford Suites during a visit to Portland with my sister and mom. We made a sort of last minute decision to travel to Portland and had a terrible time finding a place to stay close to downtown. Out of desperation we booked at the Oxford Suites, Jantzen Beach. It turned out to be a great place to stay! The rooms were very large, well appointed, and very clean. Also, the rooms were quiet; my mom's room was right next door and I could not hear the phone ringing through the wall when I called her. Check-in was painless, and the staff was very helpful in helping us figure out how to get around and made recommendations on where to eat dinner. The evening reception and breakfast were awesome! After spending the day in the city, it was nice to get away to Hayden Island. There is a lovely walking path along the Columbia River where we walked each evening. The only downside to the location is the Portland gridlock; it took us 15 minutes to drive into the city mid-morning, but over an hour to get back in the afternoon - ugh. We should have taken advantage of the hotel's free shuttle that would have dropped us off at the closest public transportation stop.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank lizab2004
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My 10 year old and I stayed one night in room 163, a King suite at an AAA rate of $99.75 per night. It was a good value with complimentary parking, wireless, and full hot breakfast (almost as good as Hyatt Place). There was a guest laundry room ($1 per load for the washer, $1 per load for the dryer). The hotel location is not ideal for tourists as it is far removed from the attractions, so I would not stay here again for this reason. Also, I feel that this 3 star hotel is heading toward being a 2.5 star with its dark and outdated decor, worn carpet, and minor things (e.g., small hole in curtain, small hole in bathroom door). Overall, it served its purpose, is very clean, and the service was good. One great thing I like about this chain is that the shampoo, conditioner, and soaps are in permanent containers that are refilled for guests so that there is no waste from small plastic containers.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I would like to single out Sam, Pam and Hillary. The day before we left for Oregon from New York, I called the hotel and Sam answered the phone. He confirmed my reservation for me and helped me decide on a car rental dealer for my needs. He had all the information about how the rentals would work and gave me the dealership phone number. He then asked me if there was anything else he could do for me and I joked that he could leave me some mints on my pillow. Wonderfully, when we arrived and entered our room there was a personalized note from him and he left some chocolate and some mints. I have never felt more welcome at a hotel. Over the course of our stay, Hillary and Pam were at the desk and helped us arrange for cab service to the airport and were just warm and helpful. These are people who really are about service with a smile. Great work. Thank you.

Room Tip: If you are interested in using the Spa/Gym facilities, they are located on the first floor.