“Good value for the price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach

Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach
Ranked #22 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Talent, Oregon
“Good value for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

About the hotel itself. They serve a decent hot breakfast and in the evening have a wine/beer , soup and salad bar that was all complementary. (2 free glasses of wine, very cool) The front staff was friendly and helpful when I asked for directions. There is a free computer station I used to get the internet. The rooms were a bit worn but hey they are very well priced. Towels and bedspread were clean. The tap water tasted awful (a problem I have at most hotels).
The only problem I had was the heat/ cool window unit. I like to listen to a fan at night, every other hotel I've ever been has a fan option that stays on. For whatever reason the fan would turn on and off each time the AC kicked in. Man, I probably woke up 10 times during the night. Don't know if it was only the one in my room, but the unit did not have a fan on/ off button.
The other real bummer about my experience was the 45 minutes it took to get from exit 300 to 308 where the hotel is. (8 miles) We made great time up to Portland until then. It was 3:15pm on a Friday. I think everyone was trying to get over the bridge to Vancouver. The front staff told me that was not usual and she takes a different way in beside I 5 North.

Room Tip: Ask about the darn AC/ Heating unit fan
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Crywild

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Comox, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed at the Oxford Suites for 4 nights when visiting Portland. Surprises awaited us from the minute we checked in. The clerk told us to hurry to our room and come back down so we wouldn't miss the soup service (5:30 - 7:30 pm) and salad bar (5:30 to 9-ish). Then she gave us 2 drinks coupons per night so we could have 2 glasses of wine (4 choices) or beer or one mixed drink. Our room was well appointed, clean and comfortable. There is a pool, hot tub and fitness room. A decent breakfast is served each morning, included in the room rate. We were trying to use public transportation so the hotel offered their shuttle service to take us to the MAX rail station and then they also came and picked us up when we called them! All the staff including the shuttle drivers were so helpful and interested that it made our stay a real pleasure. This was a real value for money hotel!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank SCDancer1
Sumner, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

The hotel has a great location. Easy on & off I 5. I stay there when going to events @ PIR. Always enjoy the full Breakfasts. Have even stoped for breakfast when not staying there under $10 dollars & very good & quick. The evening food & drink is good for a light meal. There may good places to eat near ask the hotel. Rooms clean & nice, not fancy but good for the price. There is a nice place to walk by the river ask how to get there.

Room Tip: Upper floor in the back
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JALFAN
eugene, oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

My stepson was getting married and lives in Portland. We had a large group and needed rooms for 1-2 nights. The number of people changed constantly over a 4 month period. I would call and each person I had on the phone was more than accommodating regarding our constant changes.

When the weekend finally came, several of us arrived on Friday. Stephanie greeted us at the front desk with smile. She was well aware of room bookings and could not have been more helpful. We needed to find a nail salon and she immediately directed us to one and suggested we could take their free shuttle and be dropped off and picked up. What a pleasure it was to not have to get in the car again after the drive to Portland!

Our room was clean, the bedding was lovely, and the windows opened- a feature I really appreciate since these days many hotels do not have windows that open and I feel like I am stuck in fishbowl with no air! The wi fi was easy and worked great. They recommended a pizza place to us that delivered and the pizza and salad were excellent. We used our drink coupons and enjoyed a most interesting conversation with the bartender who had a lot of knowledge about Jantzen Beach and Portland history. Breakfast had hot and cold options which was nice and included in the price of the room.

We had rented a limo van to take us to the wedding site and then to the reception site (on opposite sides of Portland. In case you don't know, Portland has major "sprawl" and is not an easy city to navigate). It turned out the reception site was close enough to the hotel that we were able to again utilize their free shuttle. They picked us all up in the evening and couldn't have been friendlier and more helpful with the giant boxes of food and beverage the caterer had laid on us.

This hotel may be a little bit on the dated side but you cannot beat the service, cleanliness and overall comfort. Stephanie deserves major kudos for putting up with all our changes over the course of the summer. And she couldn't have been more helpful when we arrived. This was a logistically complicated event to plan and attend and I am so appreciative that they helped reduce my stress level. If you're in Portland and looking for a reasonably priced, easily locatable, friendly, comfortable place to stay, this is your best bet.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank treacyducks
Victoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Oxford suites rocks and the Jantzen beach location is no different.
Fresh cookies on arrival, free wine or beer in the early evening, great breakfast includes as well.
Beds are comfy, room is lovely. Wish everywhere I stayed was like this.
Pros: Pretty much everything. Staff were all really helpful too.
Cons: only thing I can think of is that the wifi was a bit sketchy where we were on the 4th floor. It cut out a few times as the strength was low. When it was connected it was faster than most hotel wifi connections.
I will most definitely come back here or any Oxford Suite again.

• Stayed September 2012
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

This was our second stay in an Oxford property. Although older, it met the same high standards. The location was great, a block from the water. Although some distance from downtown, it was worth the drive. Staff were pleasant and very welcoming. They gave us the largest suite on the second floor which looked out onto an quiet treed area. It was huge and would be great for a family with kids. The evening reception was a nice feature with salad, soup and drinks. There was a separate shower and jacuzzi tub which looked a little dated and in need of a good cleaning. Overall a great place to stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

I was visiting from Michigan and I absolutely LOVED this place. The staff was SO welcoming and helpful. The rooms were spacious and comfortable and the breakfast buffet was outstanding! The location was perfect...close to downtown Portland, the scenic drive along the Columbian River (don't miss doing that) and Vancouver Washington. And their complimentary drinks and light dinner was a great way to relax before heading out for the evening activities. I would definitely stay here again as it was an extremely pleasant experience! Thank You Oxford Suites!!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family