“Great Hotel with Great Employees”

Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach
Ranked #22 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I have stayed at Jantzen beach over 15 times and every time it seems to get better. They are always upgrading and renovating everything! The free breakfast in the morning is better than going to a resteraunt, and who doesnt like free drinks and appatizers at night! I hope anyone coming to portland chooses to stay here. 5 min from downtown and 1 minute walk to the water is also nice. Overall just a great, safe, fun place to stay.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are great.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We recently stayed there over the Labour day weekend. Hotel was clean, staff were friendly. The happy hour with the free tickets was a nice bonus! Breakfast was great! They even had cooked to order eggs. The gentleman working the breakfast was great, and seemd to be reallyenjoying his job.
There are a few things that need to be updated,but they don't try and tell you it's a new hotel.
Lovely sitting area in our room. Comfy bed, couch and arm chair!
We would stay again!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed there for 3 days because I booked 3rd party. This was one of the worst customer service experiences I ever encountered. The lady that checked me in wasnt friendly at all and wasnt customer service driven. During check in she didnt tell me about any hotel amenities etc. and it was CLEAR that the clerk was having a bad day. Also some of the other clerks were talking about some guest issues that were going on in the hotel and I didnt think that was appropiate for other guest to hear during the check in process. CLEARLY some training issues that need to be addressed within that staff.

When I went down for the mgr's reception I found out that it is not a free event(That I read online about and had to ask the clerk about). This should of been conveyed at check in. Instead the clerk said " we have a mgrs reception when we serve cocktails and snacks". I WILL NEVER stay there again !! If you are looking for a great exp DONT STAY THERE !!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank TravelinQB
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We found some of the furniture (like the desk chair) a bit aged. However the hotel was very clean. The staff were wonderul. The breakfast was great. The AC was very good, and we really needed it. This was the only hotel I've visited where you are given 2 complimentary drinks (beer or wine) per adult, and a soup or salad snack in the evening. The bartender was very capable and busy each evening.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The price, quality of this place and extras make it a great deal as long as you don't need to be right in the middle of Portland. The room was nicely appointed and better than normal decor at this price range. The service was very polite, and the extras are good. The happy hour food is pretty minimal but includes free drinks but breakfast was really good compared to other free breakfasts, as they make eggs to order vs the precooked rubber like ones. Mostly fast food, supermarkets or chain restaurants close by but for $100 a night, I guess you can afford to find better food if you want. Our room faced the car wash and got fairly quiet at night once the car wash closed down. Room layout including a desk area that was workable.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Spent one night here on a road trip from Seattle back home to San Francisco. What initially attracted me to this place was the free buffet breakfast and the evening manager's reception and of course the much cheaper nightly rate compared to downtown Portland.

I would have to say - you get what you pay for. I only payed $87 pre-tax with the promotions code listed on this Trip Advisor and got an executive King Suite. When we walked into the room the smell was quite odd. It just smelled like an Old room and once we turned on the lights it felt like I warped back into the early 90's. The furniture was old and I saw a boxy heavy tv in front of me. The room wasn't dirty but it just felt like the carpet needed a good shampooing and since the furniture was so old I didn't really want to touch anything.

For one night at this price - I would say it's a good deal. The breakfast was actually pretty good and the evening's reception was also not bad as well. It included: ruffles chips, crackers, salad bar, carrot/celery sticks, and chicken noodle soup. Not luxuries, but good to just put something in your stomach. I would say they can work on the presentation.

I may consider staying here again if the rooms were a bit more modern, but overall not bad for the price.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jolee165
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We had a couple of problems right from the beginning of our stay, but the staff were helpful, apologetic and helped to make the situation right. Our room had been tidied, but not cleaned before we checked in (there was a used washcloth in the tub, and hairs and dirt in the sheets). When it was brought to the front desk's attention, they moved us to a larger room and gave us extra drink tickets.

The evening reception was a great extra, and a nice way to wind down after a long day of driving. The morning breakfast was good as well. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank CdnShaunaR
WesternTrvlr, Manager at Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Thank you for commenting on your stay. We are truly sorry that we accidentally assigned you to a room not ready for occupancy. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay for the duration, and that you were comfortable in your new room assignment. Thank you for choosing Oxford Suites. We hope to see you again!