“A really good Residence Inn” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center

Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center
Ranked #59 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Portland, Maine
“A really good Residence Inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

I don't usually write reviews of Residence Inns because they are pretty much the same. This one had staff that went out of the way. I got in very early because I missed a flight to get in really late. They had a room for me anyway, and allowed me early check in. That was a really nice touch, and they made sure that I, a tired business traveler, had everything I needed. With late work, the late staff was also very accommodating, making sure our group members had cars to the airport when we needed them. We didn't see much of the location around us, although it is a block from the Lloyd Center Mall, which looked really big. If I come back to Portland, and need to stay in this area, It will be here. I don't need to rewrite the previous reviews about the nice rooms, fireplaces, etc., just believe them because I got the same amenities and everything (didn't love the breakfast either).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Membermaine07
Aaron A, Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, December 22, 2014
We take pride in our exceptional staff service and are pleased to hear that we made you and your colleagues feel at home and welcome. We hope to see you again if you are traveling in the Portland area. We greatly appreciate your business!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

I was really impressed with this hotel - it far exceeded my expectations! We stayed in a King suite (#612) and I was blown away when we arrived at check-in. First off, we arrived way early but were able to get into our room at a little past 10:30 a.m., which was really awesome. The front desk person, I can't remember her name, was so nice and accommodating. When we got to our room, I was floored by the size and amenities. A full kitchen with dishwasher, stove/oven, and full-size fridge. Wow. The bed was really comfortable, although I would have preferred a bit more in the blanket department (so thin!). However, I did find extra blankets in one of the closets, so no problems there. My one complaint was the toilet and shower crammed into a small room whereas there is a lot of wasted space with the sink/vanity. I'd rather the door to the bathroom encompass the entire sink/toilet/shower area instead of partitioning it out. But that's just a personal preference.

The location is great, close to everything, but not downtown where it's loud. Free parking really is a great amenity, especially in the private lot. I didn't use the laundry facilities but the fact that they are there is pretty great.

My one complaint was the breakfast. It was terrible! We ended up having a bite or two and then found a breakfast place nearby. I'd rather pay for breakfast than eat sub-par for the most important meal of the day.

I would stay here again if I were in town - and would get Voodoo Donuts for breakfast. :)

Room Tip: #612 was nice and quiet
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are pleased to hear your positive feedback on your stay with us! Our room amenities are definitely an advantage to business and leisure travelers alike, and our free parking is a rarity these days in comparison to other hotels in the area. We thank you for choosing us and hope to see you again if you are in the Portland area!
New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

The hotel is in a great location, about 15 minutes to the airport and 10 minutes to downtown. The rooms are nice big size with a little living area, fireplace and kitchen. The hotel is located near a highway which makes it easy to get around but if the traffic noise keeps you awake you might consider requesting a room that doesn't face the highway. My only complaint about the hotel really is the bed. For frequent Marriott visitors you'll know the properties all seem to have the same soft comfy bed. While the linens at this property were the same as other Marriott properties the mattress was very hard and not exceptionally comfortable. If it had the same bed as other Marriott properties it would be great. The folks who work at the hotel were exceptionally nice and professional.

Room Tip: Rooms are higher floors are quieter however there are no elevators at the property so you have to be...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank cityrider76
We greatly appreciate your feedback on your stay with us. We definitely are in a great location for accessing public transit as well as the highway when traveling by car. As for the beds we apologize that it did not meet your expectations and hope to get them upgraded in the upcoming year. Thanks for staying with us! We truly appreciate your business!
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

This hotel is a real good choice in Portland. The rooms are spacious and clean and the breakfast was excellent. The breakfast area is big but it can be crowded so try going earlier or later than the norm to avoid the big crowds. The setting for breakfast is very cozy and makes for a great way to begin your day. There's a huge diversity of food options too.

Staff were excellent in all respects, very friendly.

The proximity to the Lloyd Center mall is very handy, a five minute walk, if that. There's also a movie theater in the mall and another one two minutes from the hotel.

The hotel is also a short 5 minute walk to the nearest transit stop on the light rail which makes for easy access to other parts of the city.

Walking the historic Irvington neighborhood was very enjoyable and you can get going on that 3 minutes or less after you leave the hotel area.

I'd stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: The best rooms are ones above the ground floor so you can open the windows to enjoy the fresh Portla...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Isurehopeso
Eric G, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you so much for the kind words. The entire staff here at Residence Inn truly cares about our guests and we appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks again!
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

This location should not be called downtown. It's not far from downtown, but it is not downtown. It is at a mall called Lloyd Center. For us it worked perfectly but if you want to be downtown and walking distance to everything you should opt for a different property. It did have free parking, so that was a huge bonus. I think there is probably good public transportation from the Lloyd Center Mall, but we did not use it.

The breakfast was great. We have had problems at other properties with food running out and overcrowding - not the case here. Food was always full and hot. Excellent breakfast area with plenty of seating. They also had trays so I was able to get breakfast for my entire family and take it back to the room - way easier with a little guy. The free dinner is only twice a week - soup/salad on Monday nights, bbq on Wednesday nights. We had the soup/salad and it was great - two soups, breadsticks, cookies, etc... and they had free wine and beer. And by beer I mean delicious local craft brews, not terrible Bud/MGD. It was a pleasant surprise.

The crib we got was very new looking, but the mattress was about 2 inches too small. This isn't really a big deal except our guy figured out that he could step in that tiny space and move the entire mattress that way. Not ideal, but not the end of the world either.

The staff was excellent. Really nice and helpful. We could've done with a few more pillows, but again - not the end of the world.

We had a king bed, no fireplace. The queen rooms have a fireplace if you prefer that. We were given the choice at checkin. We were on the 2nd floor of 3. There are *no* elevators so prepare to walk up steps. That wasn't a big deal, but the noise above us was. It was like a herd of elephants when people moved around in the floor above us.

Room Tip: King bed = no fireplace. Queen bed = fireplace.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank trvladdictsd
Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. Being a generation one property ,having no elevators can be challenging at times for guests and staff alike, but we have someone here twenty four hours a day who can help with luggage or anything you might need brought to a room on an upper floor. Glad to hear you took advantage of our free parking which can be rare for hotels in our area, and pleased that breakfast satisfied all your needs. We hope to see you again if you traveling in the Portland area! Thank you for your business!
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We had a 2 night stay in portland to see the nba at moda centre.

The residence inn, is well located for transport to moda centre and beyond into the city. Just 2 stops on the red, blue or green line got us there and back in no time. You could also walk it if you wanted.

The rooms were ok, sofa bed was also ok.

The noise from above was really quite noisy, sounded like a herd of elephants.

The breakfast in the morning was good

Stayed December 2013
Dublin, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

If you wind up on anything but the first floor be prepared for excessive noise. The hotel is located in a convenient location in the downtown area and only about 15 minutes from the airport. When we arrived, our room was not ready and the staff (Kristi & Kim) were very helpful in finding us a room that was ready. When night time came around we were surprised to hear just how loud it was inside our room every time the people above us walked or ran the plumbing. I have never experienced such poor construction in a hotel before. And yes I know what proper construction is and is not, I have been involved in the field for over 26 years. Expected a lot more from a premium brand like Marriott, or even to be compensated with more than just a
Starbucks drink from the snack bar for two nights of little or no sleep.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Eric G, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Hello, my name is Eric and I am the GM here at the Residence Inn Portland Lloyd Center. I just read through your review and wanted to personally apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay at my hotel. I completely understand your concerns and assure you that we do everything in our power to ensure our guests have a problem free stay while with us. I sincerely hope that you and your family would chose to stay with us during future travels to the Portland Area. When booking future reservations, please feel free to ask for me, and I will make sure you receive complimentary upgrade to one of our spacious top floor suites.
Once again, I am deeply sorry for the less than desirable experience and hope to speak with you personally sometime in the near future.
Happy Holidays to you and your family.
Eric