“Great location but noisy rooms”

Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center
Ranked #58 of 140 Hotels in Portland
Victoria, Canada
“Great location but noisy rooms”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Stayed here many times in the past, but this will be the last time for us unless we can get a room on the top floor. Any room on the first of second floor will be noisy if there are any one on the floor above you. Floors will creak when anyone walks above your room and you will hear all manners of water flowing from the plumbing. Other than that, I love the location and the easy train ride to downtown Portland. Staff was very friendly and I know there is nothing they came do about the noise factor. Maybe if the CEO from Marriott can get a chance to stay here or any other Resident Inn, he would know what everyone is talking about. Oh, great breakfast offered.

Room Tip: Get the top floor if you need quiet night sleep
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ripdxlc, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, I’m sorry you found our rooms noisy. Were a little older and sometimes we creak a little. I hope we can serve you again, and if so we will do our best to get you a top floor room.

Max K.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I was here for a conference and got a better deal at this hotel. Room was extremely clean and spacious and smelled brand new. Had the best sleep ever (stayed 3 nights). Heard no outside noise or room noise. Walked at night (midnight - 1 am) from the DoubleTree to the this hotel and felt very safe. Room service was great and the morning breakfast was hot, fresh and delicious. The only thing that I didn't like was that I stayed on the 2nd floor and had very heavy luggage! Would 100% stay here again.

Room Tip: If you have lots of luggage ask for a room on the ground level as their are no elevators.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
ripdxlc, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, we sure appreciate you staying with us. I hope that we offered to give you assistance with your luggage. Three stories and no elevator can be challenging, but I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
We look forward to serving you again.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We have stayed here numerous times, as have my parents, and extended family whenever we are in Portland. We love the location, and, until this trip, the hotel was always a good value. This time, however, was a nightmare. Our first room was not remodeled, so we agreed to wait for a remodeled one. Got in the room, lovely to look at, but had a significant musty, wet odor. Also, the room was crawling with flies ( a result, perhaps of the overflowing trash from the trashcan near our door.) Found the source of the odor, wet carpet. Apparently the room had flooded in a recent rain, but they had not dried it completely. Opened the closed door and the smell was overwhelming!!! AND the carpet, when stepped on, was soaking. Hotel's response? They sent the poor houseboy with a couple of towels and a fan. One of my kids has allergies and asthma. Mold was not ok. SO we requested a different room.

Finally in next room. Nice and clean. Remodeled. Had a weird incident with a young man from the building under construction next door. He came over, not knowing, I guess, that the room was occupied, and pushed on it. I had the deadbolt done as we were changing but opened the door. He was shocked we were in there. Weird, huh? Comes into play later. As we were leaving for a tour, we could not get the door to latch. That is because it did not latch. It was broken. We could not lock the door for safety from the outside, only inside. So our belongings, every time we had left for meals, etc, were left unsecured. The hotel sent a repairman. He was great, but we had to get to our tour! They said he would watch our stuff, or the desk lady would. No thanks, another room please? Two nights stay, three rooms!

None of the issues with our rooms had anything to do with us being picky or demanding. We were frustrated but polite. When we asked if they would adjust our $200/night rate to reflect the inconvenience we were met with resistence and attitude from the desk supervisor. Only when my husband expressed his frustration loudly, did they offer us a $50/credit. Begrugingly. With attitude.

This was an awful experience. To top it off, they did not give us our Marriott points. Our member number is on the statement, no points reported to Marriot member site. Nice, huh?
One dot for location, one for at third attempt giving us a habitable room. And the houseboy and the repair man were super nice.

Room Tip: second or third floor. remodeled rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for staying with us – I personally recall your issues. The wet carpet was sure messy, sorry that slipped by us. We were very happy to compensate you for the inconvenience. It was easy to repair your door latch in your second room; your belongings would have been safe while our man repaired your lock. I do however appreciate your position and understand your frustration.
I apologize that your stay was not what you expected.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

The service and staff here are amazing!! They went out of their way to accommodate me after an awful day of travel, left a handwritten note in my room, and we're genuinely helpful and sweet! Thank you so much for such a warm welcome to Portland!

• Stayed August 2012
Thanks for your kind comments. I am so happy that you were pleased with our property and services. I will be sure to pass on your remarks to our staff, and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Portland.

Memphis
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Visiting family nearby and like the NE section out of downtown but close enough to walk. The Residence Inn is in the process of upgrading the rooms and our section was still the old decor which was fine and quiet. The breakfast that they offer for free is adequate but there are so many delicious options in the NE Broadway/ 25th St. area called Sullivan's Gulch. We were enjoying all of the 4 sections of Portland that hold so many excellent possibilities. The best destination is the Portland Zoo and the park surrounding it. Our favorite restaurants were Portabello in the SE section. Also, Blossomming Lotus in the Sullivan's NE section.

• Stayed July 2012
ripdxlc, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am so happy that you were pleased with our property and its location. I will be sure to pass on your kind remarks to our staff, and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Portland.

Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this Residence Inn January 2012. I'm pleased to read that renovations to the suites are underway as they were very much in need of updating. The staff at the property were absolutely wonderful and eager to help whenever possible. Our studio was on the first floor of a building close to the entrance. Noise was not an issue for us.

I would likely return given the apparent updates to the rooms. Otherwise, we'd select another Marriott with better amenities.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments; we sure appreciate you staying with us. Yes, we are a little older of a property. We are about one month away from completing our complete interior renovation, and I am thrilled with the suites we have. I hope you had one of the refreshed suites – if not, you will definitely have one on your next visit.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed one night on a multi-day trip through Oregon. The desk staff were helpful and efficient. As has been discussed in previous reviews, the hotel is in the midst of an extensive remodel. I told the desk person that I was travelling alone with two kids and would like an easily accessible room, close to the reception area (for safety). When I got to our room, it was in fact in a building across from the front desk. However, the room was directly opposite the building that was being remodeled, so there was a lot of dust, taped-off stairs, etc. Our room was tucked under the outdoor stairs--I felt a bit unsafe walking into this area because once I was under the stairs, there was no outlet of escape should someone follow us to the room.

We used the pool, which is in a fenced-off area next to the reception area. It was average--clean but appeared to need some updating. The cement in and around the pool was cracked. There were a ton of wasps, which freaked my kids out and eventually led to us leaving the pool area.

We didn't eat at the complimentary social hour/free light dinner, but it appeared that many people were hanging out. On the night we were there, they were serving hamburgers from the grill.

Our room was large, with a sitting area/fold out couch, desk, full kitchen, king sized bed, and bath. The kitchen was really nice--brand new cabinetry that wasn't the cheap stuff. They did a nice upgrade. The furniture appeared to be all brand-new, and the fold-out couch was comfortable.

We went out to dinner. When we returned at 7pm, it was still light outside and there were many people enjoying the social hour meal around the pool. A man walked down the sidewalk towards us and smiled, and I smiled and said hello. I assumed he was going to continue down the sidewalk to the parking lot. Instead, I was surprised to find him directly behind us once we got to our room. I'm not sure if he had ill intentions but I was kind of freaked out. Like I said, once we were under those stairs and at our door, there is no alternate route out of that area. We were basically trapped. I don't know what this guy had planned, but I think he realized that he couldn't get away with much right across from reception and a pool area full of people (plus, I had my teenage son with me, and fortunately he's not a small guy). He covered by turning around and trying the door handle on the room next to us. I quickly opened our door and got my kids inside--and slammed the door! I put all of the various locks in place, stuffed a chair in front of the door, and looked to make sure he wasn't out there anymore. That gave me the creeps, and set a bad tone (for me anyway) for the remainder of the stay. My kids didn't seem to notice a thing; I was glad because I didn't want them to feel as freaked out as I had. I called the desk and let it ring a few times without answer--I hung up because I figured the guy wasn't there any longer, and I couldn't prove he was up to no good. In hindsight, I should have reported it because who knows where else he went that night? He could have been staking out rooms with single women.

This hotel is well-situated, just east of the convention center area and a large shopping mall. There was easy, quick access to the highway that connects with the interstate (I think it's highway 84?)

The housekeepers were nice, but rather annoying. When we arrived, they had their housekeeping cart stashed directly in front of our door. It would have been a perfect spot, directly under the stairs and out of sight from the reception staff (there is a perforated wall so they can't be seen at the front desk--the housekeeper on duty that day stood at the cart for quite awhile, gabbing on her cell phone). A great spot for them, if not for the fact that our door was right there! The housekeeper had to move the cart and was apologetic. The cart disappeared by the time we got back from dinner at 7pm. At 8am, the cart returned, and the housekeeper stationed herself directly outside of our room. When we left to eat the complimentary breakfast at 8am, she asked, "Are you leaving now?" I told her we were just having breakfast and weren't checking out until later that morning. We came back to the room--she was still standing there with her cart. About 15 minutes after we returned to our room, she knocked and asked if we were leaving. This was at 9am!! By this time I was annoyed so I told her, "NO, we paid until 11am and we aren't ready to leave yet!" She continued to stand outside of our room--we saw her there when we left at 10am.

As for the continental breakfast, it was very average. There were hot options (I think it was eggs that day), as well as the usual cold cereal, store-bought pastries and yogurt, toast, juice and coffee. None of it was good. My kids did load up, but they don't have very discerning palates.

For $179 a night, I would have expected much more. Again, great location, nice staff--but not safe, lousy breakfast, and God forbid you want to sleep in because the housekeepers will vacuum over top of you! If you want a safe place, I would recommend NOT staying here especially as a single woman--find a place in a locked building. The outside access to your room is a disaster waiting to happen.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near stairs or stairwells!!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for staying with us – I sure am sorry that you were close to the renovation work, we are trying hard to keep it a much out of sight as we can. I also appreciate your observations on our services and safety concerns. Be assured guest safety is our number one priority.
I apologize again that your stay was not what you expected.