“Good hotel, two drawbacks in the way to excellent”

Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center
Ranked #56 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Israel
“Good hotel, two drawbacks in the way to excellent”
Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

This hotel had the potential to be my #1 choice.
The rooms are spacious and clean, parking is convenient, service is excellent and staff were friendly and helpful. Pool looks inviting (although I didn't use it myself), breakfast is rich and tasty, and the room kitchen is great. There are two drawbacks - 1 is that you have to climb stairs with your suitcase either 1 or 2 floors (depends on your level) which is to my opinion not that bad. But the second issue that would ensure that I'm not returning to this particular hotel, is the fact that if you're not on top floor you get the benefit of hearing every step that your upstairs neighbors do. This is because of wood floor. And I'm not talking small noise- every step (even barefoot) that someone makes cranks a hard wood stretch noise, this is disturbing during evenings, but very annoying when they leave at 4am to the airport, and you get to hear cranks and very strong noises for half the night. Fortunately there were only two such nights during my stay. For the price of this hotel I would expect more.
Other than that, or if wood noises don't bother you too much - this is definitely a great hotel.

• Stayed July 2012
ripdxlc, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, we sure appreciate you staying with us. Yes, the 3 story building can be a drawback but, I hope that we offered to give you assistance with your luggage. Sorry about the noise problem, sometimes that can be an issue. On your next trip, if you chose to stay with us, we will do our best to get you on the top floor and our houseman will be more than happy to assist you with your bags.

Thanks again,

Max K.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed there for two nights last week. This hotel is on the east side of the river, but has an excellent MAX transport service to Downtown - frequent trains get you there in 5 minutes. The hotel is situated in a lovely residential area, with tree-lined streets and also closed to the Lloyds shopping centre. Staff are very helpful with advice on anything you may want to see or do in Portland. Breakfast was fantastic - a wide range of hot and cold foods. Rooms are somewhat older and in need of some upgrades - the carpet in our room was old and in need of replacement. The outdoor pool and whirlpool are great too. Overall we liked this place and would come back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, we sure appreciate you staying with us. True, we are a little older of a property. 2 years ago we finished a complete renovation of our exteriors, and we are currently in progress of a complete renovation on all of our interiors. Flat panel TV’s with HD programming, granite counters, and brand new sofas and chairs to name a few of the projects. We will continue to operate as we refresh and expect completion by the end of August.
I look forward to you returning so I can show off our new look!

Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This Residence Inn looks like an old apartment complex. I was quite certain the rooms would look like old apartments, too. Wrong! They've all been refurbished and are clean and nice.
The complimentary hot breakfast was tasty.
It's close to downtown, but located in a neighborhood.
If you are unable to climb stairs (3 stories high), be sure to ask for a ground floor room. There are no elevators.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ccox8
, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased that you enjoyed our new look. I will be sure to pass on your kind remarks to our staff, and we hope to see you on your next trip..
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I enjoyed a weekend stay here in a Studio Unit. The room had been recently renovated, and was most comfortable.

The room had a King sized bed with tables on each side on which to place one's bedside reading and a water glass. The sitting area included a confortable couch, which could be converted for additional sleeping. There was also a desk and desk chair.

The suite had a nice kitchen with stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops. There was adequate workspace for food preparation. The kitchen area included a table with 2 chairs. The kitchen was stocked with utensils and china. The refrigerater was full sized.

The restroom included a nicely sized granite topped vanity, separate from the toilet and bathtub / shower. The bath area was separated by a door from the vanity area for privacy.

The room had three nice sized windows with shears for privacy. There were drapes, which when closed provided darkness for sleeping. My unit was not adjacent to the lot where I parked. However, my auto was less than 150 feet from my room, and I would not consider this short distance a drawback of the space. I noticed this aspect being mentioned in other online reviews; pay no heed to this, as it is not significant in my opinion. In actuality, the environment is very park-like.

I arrived at the hotel after a 200 mile drive from the Seattle area. I was treated well by the staff, and felt most comfortable staying here after my long drive.

I will stay here again when my travel needs bring me to Portland.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Endurant
, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased that you enjoyed our new look. We are working hard to refresh our interiors this summer, and we are excited with the results.
I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again when you are down from Seattle.

San Diego, California
Reviewed June 29, 2012

For the cost you would expect to get a decent night sleep- I am not one to ever write reviews but I thought I should spread the word.. We were with a large wedding group and everyone had back pain for days due to the beds- I was so uncomfortable I couldn't really sleep. Also, the suite rooms are very child unfriendly if your with kids- upstairs lofted area is a major design flaw and very dangerous with kids. Plus the stair climb with suitcases - Put in some elevators and change the beds if your going to charge that much!! And one last thing- we were there for 3 nights and never had our rooms cleaned!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
I appreciate your comments regarding our property. I am sorry that you did not rest well due to our beds. I certainly hoped we offered to enhance your bed either by additional padding or we even have bed boards if you like them harder. In regards to our design, the founder of Residence Inn had a vision to build a hotel that looked and felt just like an apartment – a home away from home. Twenty plus years later, your observations have been implemented into the current design of a Residence Inn. Our newer hotels lend themselves to having single level suites, and elevators.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Other than central location, there is not much good to say. The furniture was stained and basically worn out, mattress hard as a rock, and appliance of the lowest quality. Room was in need of a major clean with heavy dust on top of fridge and old dusty blinds in the room. Bathroom fan sounds like a 747 engine.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback, we sure appreciate you staying with us. We are a little older of a property. 2 years ago we finished a complete renovation of our exteriors, and I am happy to announce we are in progress of refreshing all of our interiors. Flat panel TV’s with HD programming, granite counters, and brand new sofas and chairs to name a few of the projects. We will continue to operate as we refresh and expect completion by the end of September. I look forward to you returning so I can show off our new look!

Seattle
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I'm going to hate myself because I'll never be able to stay there again because it will be booked, but they deserve this. They are an older Residence Inn property but are renovating their rooms. I got to stay, one night only, in one of their recently renovated rooms. Super!!! Full size kitchen, good bathroom and shower head (now that's something you don't get everyday). Wish the TV and the couch were a little further apart and that could be remedied if they didn't lay out the room so symmetrical. Breakfast was pretty good.

Plus they are about 4 blocks from the Max. Downtown for restaurants and dinner or there are good choices locally.

Staff was helpful, efficient and friendly. Both when I checked in and out.

I was probably the first person to stay in this renovated room to run the dishwasher. It leaked. I was in a third floor room and reported it the next morning. Hope they fixed it.

I typically stay at another hotel in the area but they don't compare. I'll return here if there is soon for me.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
ripdxlc, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments – I am very pleased that you liked our new look. We can’t wait to be finished so everybody gets to experience our refresh.
I appreciate your business, and all of us here hope to serve you again in the future.