“A great stay at the Portland airport”

Hampton Inn Portland-Airport
Ranked #38 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Seattle, Washington
“A great stay at the Portland airport”
Reviewed December 14, 2011

I often joke that my idea of roughing it is staying at a Hampton Inn between Hiltons. My recent stay at the Hampton Inn at Portland’s airport wasn’t roughing it at all.

I recently spent a night at this Hampton Inn while attending a meeting at the hotel next door and found it to be a generally delightful experience.

The desk clerk who checked me in was very pleasant and efficient. She’d noted the preferences in my HiltonHHonors profile and placed me in a room on the top floor.

However, walking through the halls - first to the elevator then from the elevator to my room - I felt a knot growing in my stomach. The halls seemed a bit worn and dingy, and I worried that my room would have the same character.

I needn’t have. The room had obviously been updated recently and was lovely, down to that freshly laundered duvet the placard in the elevator had boasted about.

The room included the usual amenities including flat-screen TV, free wireless Internet access, a work desk, a sitting area, a laptop desk (for using your laptop while sitting up in bed), iron and ironing board.

The bathroom amenities included something I’d not seen offered before in a hotel: earplugs. Perhaps this Hampton Inn includes these little sleep aids because of its location just south of the airport’s north runway. Missing, however, was the ubiquitous shower cap. But c’mon; when was the last time anyone under, say, age 70 actually used a shower cap as a shower cap?

Breakfast in the morning was a typical free breakfast: omelets, bacon, sausage, and other items on steam tables accompanied by fruit and yoghurt and, for the ambitious (or carb-addicted), a make-your-own waffle station. As an alternative, Hampton Inns also offer “grab-and-go” brownbag breakfasts – a nice option if you’re in a hurry.

The breakfast area and the lobby had obviously also been recently refurbished, so it appeared that the hallways – the only spot that was in any way sub-par – were left for last.

Because the hotel is situated just south of the airport’s north runway, rooms on the north end of the hotel actually have views of the approach end of Runway 28 Left (or the departure end of Runway 10 Right). Because I’m such a big aviation fan – and knowing that flights into PDX usually land to the west (approach end of 28L), I’d definitely have requested one of those rooms if I’d known about them before visiting. If you’re not a fan, there are plenty of rooms that don’t face the flight line.

All in all, I would recommend the Hampton Inn at PDX without hesitation.

Room Tip: If you love watching airplanes land and take off, ask for a room that faces the runway. Don't w...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank TheTravelPro_us

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 11, 2011

We always stay at a park fly rate at Hampton inn at pdx.You can stay a night.then park car. For 14 days a great deal and real convient

• Stayed November 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed December 1, 2011

I was in Portland for an early morning business meeting and had to fly in the night before so I stayed at this Hampton Inn. It was a typical Hampton, clean and reliable. My room was right off the runway so when there were planes landing or taking off you knew it although they did stop by 10:00 PM. My room was recently updated, had a pleasant clean smell. Comfortable and clean. My only real complaint was the NOISY heat/AC wall unit. The buzzing and loud condenser didnt make for a very good night of sleep (thankfully there were a bunch of pillows and used one over my head to dampen the noise level). Breakfast was typical for a Hampton. My biggest issue with this location was there is NO restaurants close by except the over priced one next door at the Sheraton. Since I didnt have a car this was an issue and should be considered if you stay here. The staff did offer a shuttle to the mall that wasnt too far away, so that is an option.

1 Thank Travelalot31310
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I stayed at this property in May 2011, and on this visit November 2011, I found to my pleasure, nothing had changed. I was "Welcomed Back" as a returning guest by the very friendly and customer service oriented front desk staff.
Room and amenities were as expected and of consistent quality from this Hilton Family Hotel. I choose Hilton Properties because I know what to expect no matter where I stay.
The hotel is located on the access road to the airport which makes it very easy to return rental car etc. There is a hotel shuttle. One note of caution, as the hotel is located near a major international airport there is the possibility that you may hear aircraft noise. I know for those of you who are not frequent travelers and do not stay at airport hotels, this may be disturbing, but just deal with it or go to a hotel that has soundproof rooms.

1 Thank Nitroxprt
Boise
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I needed to schedule a quick meeting in Portland close to the airport. I booked a couple guest rooms and also a small meeting room. After arriving in Portland very early (6:55 am), I called the hotel and they immediately sent a shuttle to the airport to pick us up and take us to the hotel. The front desk staff was very helpful and got us into the meeting room immediately. I didn’t rent a car and needed their help with nearby restaurants. They gave us directions to a small strip-mall that was within walking distance and for lunch, they gave us a 10% discount to the hotel restaurant next door. For dinner, they recommended an excellent seafood restaurant (Salty’s) who sent their own shuttle to pick us up for dinner and then take us back to the hotel afterwards. The hotel is a little older than others I have stayed in but the service was excellent!

Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed October 31, 2011

My travel plans changed, so I needed a decent hotel for a short and unplanned layover at PDX. A frequent traveler friend recommended the Hampton, so I made a reservation from baggage claim at about 9:30 p.m. without researching anywhere else. The AAA rate that night was about $100. They provided free transportation from/to PDX. Check-in and out were a breeze. They gave me a free snack bag on arrival. Breakfast the following morning was standard American fare--waffles, eggs, biscuits and gravy, etc. It was nothing particularly special, but the eating area was very clean and I appreciated the food.

Although the elevator and hallways were a bit dingy and could stand to be replaced, the room was much nicer. Everything was clean as a whistle and in good repair. The Wi-Fi was free and worked well.

The driver told me the Hampton owners own the hotel next door and that I was free to use the facilities at either hotel. All the staff were friendly and professional. Great folks.

Bottom line: I'd stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ANCtrvlr
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Those previous reviewers who cite a great breakfast must have hit it on a really good day or I hit it on a bad one. The breakfast was marginal at best and the "breakfast to go" boxes they promised the night before were all out the next morning. But the staff was helpful, the noise is minimal even though it's really right next to the runway, and it's a good stop if you need a solid airport location.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business