“Excellent Stay @ The Hampton Inn PDX”

Hampton Inn Portland-Airport
Ranked #37 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Idaho
“Excellent Stay @ The Hampton Inn PDX”
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed here on the front and back end of a park, stay, and fly package. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, room was clean, spacious, and remarkably quiet for its proximity to the runway. Our first nite we had a room fronting the road and it was very quiet, our second we were on the runway but it was pretty quiet for all the jet traffic. We had a front row seat for the ANG F-15's taking off. Way cool!

The breakfast setup is excellent, the shuttle service staffed by helpful and cheerful drivers and you're only minutes away from the airport and/or MAX. We got in late both nights and were able to get pretty good food from the bar/restaurant at the Sheraton across the way.

Our rig was safe and sound in its special long term parking lot.

What more could you ask for?

Room Tip: Ask for upper floors away from runway if jet noise is bothersome. They do provide earplugs!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
AustiBaudroFOM, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Portland-Airport, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Dear Mushhuskies,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us feedback and for your nice comments! I am so glad to hear that you had a good experience not once, but twice! The Park N Fly package is a great option for our guests, especially for summer travel! Happy travels to you in the future and I hope we will see you again soon!

Warm Regards,

Austi Baudro
Front Office Manager
Hampton Inn Portland Airport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Neenah, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 6, 2011

This hotel was in excellent condition and the staff was very helpful and attentive. Considering the convenient proximity to the airport, you can't go wrong with a stay at this Hampton Inn.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Gearhart, Oregon
Reviewed June 25, 2011

We stay here frequently. You would not confuse it with one of the wonderful downtown hotels but it is a nice hotel with excellent staff. Parking is included and there are frequent shuttles to the airport. We stay here often and have never had a complaint. Cleanliness is real advantage to this place. TV, computers, free breakfast, etc are additional benefits. We tried other places nearby and always come back here. We encourage our friends to stay here and several stay here every time they fly out in the morning.

• Stayed June 2011
Orleans, France
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Picked this hotel because of it's close location to PDX and because of it's 4th place standing on Trip Advisor for hotels in Portland. I have to be fair and say that we stayed here after spending a week in a luxurious suite in Seattle and a modern new room in Vancouver, so it was a 'shock' to come down to normality. Our king room was huge and gave our toddler plenty of room to run around. The breakfast selection was probably the best part. Huge spread of hot items as well as cold. Fruits, yogurt, cereals, danishes, coffees, eggs, sausage, etc. There were quite a few flight crews also staying here. Nothing special really, but it met our needs and made it easy to catch a 7am flight! No fridge or microwave, but there was free wi-fi and free parking. Although we didn't use the shuttle, I saw the PDX shuttle multiple times.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
New Mexico
Reviewed June 13, 2011

So glad I stayed here!

I've stayed at Hampton Inn in various other locations, and been happy with them, so I knew that I would mostly likely enjoy this particular one as well--and I'd also read all the positive reviews here on TripAdvisor which made me feel this would be a good choice.

It was definitely a good choice. Here's why--

The room and the bed were very comfortable and clean, full of nice details and amenities. I stayed in a room with a king bed. There was lots of space, the bathroom was large, clean, stocked with nice amenities including earplugs. Free wireless internet worked flawlessly. For just one person, this room was huge. For two, it still would have been plenty of room.

Yes, it is true: you can hear the noise of the airplanes taking off and landing. However, it honestly never bothered me, and I'm usually the sort of person who would be really bothered by something like that. I never heard or noticed them till I was awake anyway. Use the provided earplugs if it really bothers you.

My particular room (on the 2nd floor) had a fairly boring view, but I didn't really care. I don't know if other rooms had better views or not.

The breakfast buffet was outstanding. A huge variety of foods to choose from, all fresh and delicious. Even the coffee is good. In the afternoons they had milk and cookies in the lobby, and in the mornings you could even take a preprepared "to go" bag with you that had water, fruit, a muffin and a granola bar.

There is an emphasis on "living green" that I appreciated--you are encouraged to place items both in your room and in the breakfast room into bins clearly marked for recycle, compost or trash. In your room there is a bin divided for recycle or trash, and in the breakfast buffet, they have charts showing what can be composted (plates & cutlery are all compostable, for example), what can be recycled, and what is trash.

I don't know if this is specific to this particular Hampton Inn or if it's a nationwide policy.

Last but not least, the staff was uniformly genuinely very friendly and helpful. I wish I'd gotten their names so I could thank them by name, but basically, everyone I encountered was great and I really appreciated it.

Being practically in the airport was a huge asset--even though the sound of the planes could be considered a con, in this case, it was really a plus. The airport shuttle not only got me to my plane fast, it also got me to the airport on the day when I wanted to just take the MAX light rail train into the city. It's super easy to walk into the airport, find the train ticket machine, and hop on the train. Each stop is clearly marked and announced.

I took it to go to downtown, to Powell's City of Books. Got off on the Galeria/SW 10th Ave. stop, and walked a very easy four blocks or so to Powell's, and spent the next five hours there--and didn't even see all of it.

They have a flat rate shipping of $12.95 for up to 100 books so I just had all the books I bought there mailed home to me!

Then I took the train back to the airport, and got the shuttle back to the hotel. Easy!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank SouthwesternLass
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed June 1, 2011

I do not write many reviews however I wanted to give recognition to the Hampton Inn, Portland Airport and the staff there. The hotel is quite convenient to the airport and well run with clean rooms.
Also the staff were friendly and very helpful with suggestions for dining and directions to us. Not being at all familiar with the Portland area this was most helpful.
I would recomment this hotel to any traveler.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Coop4
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 22, 2011

We arrived the afternoon of May 3 for a park&fly. Imagine our delight when I was awarded the prize for being the "Guest of the Day." How incredibly creative of your staff. The gift was a simple brown bag with a bottle of water and a piece of fruit. The bag was decorated with a hand-drawn representation of an Egyptian-like woman. That small gesture made our stay extra special. And when we returned late on the evening of May 15, we were remembered and greeted warmly. If those staff members--Leslie, Ryan and Nick--are representative of your staff everywhere, you can be proud. You are well represented! And we'll be back.....
Thank you! and thank Leslie, Ryan, Nick and all the others who were so courteous, efficient and likable. Sincerely, Barbara Leff

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple