“Incredible view...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Orford
Castaway By the Sea
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Port Orford
Reviewed July 6, 2011

When I booked here, the Manager told me the view was the best and he wasn't wrong. Our last morning, we watched from our room as Pelicans dove for their morning catch. Not only a Great view but Port Orford is good base to commute to Gold Beach to the south and Bandon to the north. Castaways has some quirky parts...in our suite, there is no oven or stove as you will have to make due with a microwave and a fridge. But the TV has all the channels and WiFi does work...pick up the pw from the office. Beds are soft and overall the rooms are dated and does carry that old musky smell prior to opening the windows. But that said, I would go back in a heartbeat...the view, along with friendly hospitality and the cost won't break your travel budget.

Room Tip: The view
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MMacDad
There are newer reviews for Castaway By the Sea

Reviewed May 31, 2011

I stayed for 5 days at the Castaway, enjoyed the clean room and great views.

Be warned about the WiFi though. Don't automatically assume your room will have wireless service even though it is advertised on the website. The weekend management was sympathetic and offered to compensate me in some way since moving to another room wasn't possible (they were booked for the Memorial Day weekend). On checking out, I mentioned that the weekend manager had offered compensation, but the owner was initially not very receptive, saying that certain rooms were problematic and they always tell people that when they check in. It wasn't mentioned to me at check in, and besides, that's a little late in my opinion. It took a little talking, but the owner finally, and amicably, agreed to a 10% refund. If wireless is important, get a specific commitment up front or check out the room before moving in!

I'd also recommend a top floor room if you don't enjoy listening to every footstep and amorous bed squeak from overhead.

This isn't the hotel's fault, but AT&T 3G service was spotty at the hotel as well. I was told by locals that the closer you get to the ocean, the more problems to expect with cell service.

Over all, a good enough stay for a small independent hotel. For future classes in Port Orford, I'll probably make the 40 mile drive from Gold Beach or pay more and stay at Wild Springs Resort.

Room Tip: Check the WiFi before accepting the room!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Herbal-Gypsy
Reviewed April 23, 2011

I love this hotel. I stay here regularly because you can not find a better view! The activity of the port below, along with the beach, coastline and sea views are mesmerizing. If you're lucky, you might see a whale, or watch a fishing boat being pulled out of the water. This is a place to come to and relax.

I noticed during my last stay that the furniture had been replaced. When I asked about it, the manager mentioned that they were doing some renovation and upgrade work - I like to hear that! The rooms are cozy and clean, and user friendly. With a ten-year old boy, I like that too! But, I come for the view.

Room Tip: I like the upstairs rooms with kitchens.
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank sapiengirl
Reviewed October 28, 2010

We were driving north, heading home, planning on going further. It was stormy, raining and windy, so when it got dark, we called this place, from a AAA book. The owner gave us a decent price, for a basic room. He gave us advice for a place to have dinner, and while we were gone, he went to our room and turned the heat, lights, and tv on for us! We hadn't even put anything in the room yet, just wanted dinner first! Very thoughtful!
The tv was smallish, but a new, flat-screen. Easy to see, as it's a smallish room! Wi-fi is free, but got kicked off a couple of times, but may be because of the storm.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank imawandrer
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Older 40's-50's motel that hasn't been updated for quite some time. Rooms were OK if you aren't looking for any frills. View from room was fabulous! Got to have fresh sea air and sound of sea lions barking outside. Probably the best motel in town (others looked much worse) Motel was quiet and we got a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thefamily3
Reviewed February 15, 2010

We purposely traveled down to Port Orford from Lincoln City for a Valentines Day weekend. We had a fabulous time! The staff was both friendly and helpful. He was the previous owner. Our room was a bit SPARTAN, but ....it was clean, warm and the view was to die for! We stayed for two nights; Geo-Caching & sight-seeing, after an event in Coos Bay. The weather was cooperative...Our breezeway/sun room/sun porch was stunning on a winters sun break afternoon. A good book and a bottle of Merlot' help to set the tone. It was extremely romantic, especially on a Valentines Weekend. We have zero complaints and plan to go back again and again. Remember...this is an older MOTEL...nothing 2010, but they do have HBO and WiFi. You won't be sorry, if your looking for romance....................

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2009

I would recommend this place for the view, but not anything else.

A friend had stayed here numerous times and invited us to go for the weekend. We were there at the beginning of Nov. 2009 for one night during a big storm. The view is amazing to watch a storm and see huge waves break on the dock. The views were even better the next morning after the storm passed and the sun came out. I think you can see something like 26 miles of shoreline.

It was great to sit in the enclosed sun room and bask in the sun while taking in the view.

Having checked out the website in advance I knew what to expect and the photos seem current.

It is basic, no-frills lodging. It was clean and everthing was functioning. Dishes, cutlery and cookware are supplied. Since you should do the dishes before you leave, dish soap is provided. However, you may want to bring paper towels or a dish towel to dry and help you clean up.

The bathroom fan was really loud and didn't really do much in venting steam.

We stayed in one of the upper condo units which have one bedroom downstairs and an open loft area with a queen bed and two twins. The queen bed is on the opposite side of the loft from the two twin beds, but there is no privacy upstairs. Bring a flashlight to navigate the narrow spiral stairs to go to the downstairs bathroom at night.

We found the bed to be hard and uncomfortable.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Jot's Resort
Jot's Resort
#8 of 8 in Gold Beach
SureStay Plus Hotel Gold Beach

Been to Castaway By the Sea? Share your experiences!