“Weird....but not wonderful”

Paula's Bistro
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

Ok enough place in a delightful little town by the ocean. Small rather dark dining room next to a more spacious bar area. Waiter got wine order wrong and implied that my wife had ordered the wrong type. Wine was exchanged, but without good grace. Soup course arrived which was very good quality, as was the small plate of salad leaves to follow. But main course meat was fatty and did not arrive with requested type of vegetables. Mains were bizarrely left on adjoining table while we finished starters. Owners give a take it or leave it impression, barely interacting with us (we were merely passing thru town, so why make the effort...?) We don't recognise the rave reviews this place got. Comparing it to the best Parisian eateries is absurd.

1  Thank TiredTrotter

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We enjoyed our meal here. The staff was warm and very helpful. The quality of the food was very good. It was fun to speak French and chat with some of the interesting visitors at the bar after dinner. It all made for a pleasant evening and I would go back to eat here again.

1  Thank SoCaArgentino
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I'm writing still in the afterglow of our cozy, delicious dinner at Paula's Bistro. Port Orford is a very quiet little town on the Oregon coast, and Paula's is a welcome local culinary treasure. The French/local food is cooked with love! Paula's personal warmth infuses every dish from the crusty home made bread served with herbed garlic butter to the nasturtium- garnished fresh local greens salad, to the rich, beautifully seasoned main courses. My husband couldn't rave enough about the shrimp Provencal, and my cassoulet was perfect on a chilly fall night on the rugged Oregon coast.
A local musician serenaded us, and Paula is an attentive and welcoming chef and host. If you're in Port Orford, this is a culinary highlight.

2  Thank FoodBruja
Reviewed August 4, 2012

This unique and charming bistro offers delicious French and French-inspired cuisine within a uniquely eclectic and pleasantly relaxed atmosphere. On a recent visit during what was clearly a busy evening, my friends and I were prepared to wait for a table (we had not made reservations) but the owners cheerfully set up an entirely new table and had us seated in no time. Our entrées were divine, and were all beautifully presented. I ordered cassoulet, as it's one of my favorite all-time dishes; this one was delightful, with a combination of flavors and textures that had me smiling blissfully as I savored every bite. Our dessert, a delicious blueberry cobbler bursting with fruit flavor and with what for me was an ideal balance of sweet and tart, is now the standard by which all future similar desserts will be evaluated. If you are looking for a first-class gastronomical experience with friendly, attentive service in a relaxed, convivial atmosphere, then look no further than Paula's Bistro!

1  Thank ILfrtchr
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Paula's is a place where you can go and be intimate or discover new friends (like Paula herself!). Totally unique, just like Paula, and the food is fantastic! Paula and her husband have created an fun, eclectic, and delicious experience not to be missed. The food is first rate and so is the staff.

1  Thank Don and Julia E