“Flash from the past”

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Pendleton
Portland, Oregon
“Flash from the past”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

My wife, myself and our two dogs stayed here for a night on a long trek across the country ending in Portland. The Red Lion in Pendleton is a real flashback to the 80s, which is strangely apropos against a stunning backdrop of west Oregon countryside - almost charming. The King room we stayed in certainly wouldn't win any design awards, but it fits with the overall aesthetic of the hotel, and given the price (just about the cheapest in town, unless you wanted to dare a Super 8 or Motel 6) was not something I'd complain about. The room was sufficiently clean, if not quite perfectly spotless, and quiet. There was a $15 non-refundable fee for our dogs.

My one major complaint here concerns the food. Naturally, one shouldn't expect haute cuisine at a small town hotel/motel, but even so let the next traveller be warned to stick to the standard fare of burgers and sandwiches. I risked the "New York Steak," one of the pricier options on the room service menu, which cemented the pedigree of the hotel - straight from Reagan's tenure in the White House. What I received could only laughably be called a steak, perhaps a quarter of an inch thick, and cooked to the consistency of rubbery cardboard (I had asked for rare) was drowned in what I can only imagine was store-bought salisbury steak sauce, with some decently sauteed mushrooms thrown in for good measure. I do have to say, though, that the mashed potatoes were pretty darn tasty - if only they hadn't been drowned in sauce as well.

Room Tip: Get a room facing away from the highway and looking over the countryside.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 84DM84

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed here four nights for a convention. The Good News: view, room size, internet connection. The Not-so-Good: rooms not cleaned until 2:00 in the afternoon some days, restaurant (food and service) poor, hot tub by pool was filthy. I did call to the front desk to find out if an earring had been turned in (lost mine the night before) and was told they would contact housekeeping and call me back. Never heard from them. Not an expensive piece of jewelry, so didn't pursue it. Our room had a fridge and microwave. I think you just need to request it.

Room Tip: The rooms on the opposite side of the freeway have a great view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Baker City, Oregon, United States
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I traveled to Red Lion for a seminar. My room was clean...and the front desk staff have exceptional customer service skills. The restaurant was very disappointing and I am being generous. I chose to have lunch at the restaurant since I attended the seminar at the Red Lion and after waiting 50 minutes for a salad...I asked the server to please bring my salad to the conference room since I was out of time to eat. I expressed my concern and she blamed it on a computer issue. There were several others in the seminar that had to have their meal brought to them as well. We asked for the manager to come and talk with us and NO ONE in management came to speak to us...the cook came and was extremely rude and unprofessional. If management does not take the time to deal with issues that arise, how do you instill value in your employees?? The irony...The seminar I attended was "Exceeding in Management"

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Stay29forever
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Pendleton, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for providing this valuable feedback so that we can address these areas with our staff. There is no reason, nor is it acceptable, to have a poorly run restaurant. We apologize tremendously for the experiences you encountered during your stay and we hope you will provide us with the opportunity to rectify these issues so that we can have you back and provide you with the superior service deserved!
Kind Regards

Travelers are raving about these Pendleton hotels

Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

After the hotel I booked originally for Pendleton fell through, we decided to stay here. Super friendly, helpful front staff. The room was super clean and quite. Really fast check-in procedure. I would definitely stay here again! Location was super convenient so it was easy to get going in the morning. (Right by the freeway (but you couldn't hear the freeway from the room) and near gas stations and coffee)

• Stayed April 2013
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We always stay here when we visit the Oregon/Washington wineries. Everyone, from the front desk to the housekeeping staff does an excellent job! Our favorite person is Debbie! She works in the Restaurant/Lounge and goes above and beyond to make you feel special. Dinner in the Lounge is great and very relaxing! We look forward to our next stay!

Room Tip: We like the 3rd floor... less noise. :)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Caldwell, Idaho, United States
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed at the Red Lion Pendleton going and coming back from the coast. Both times our stay was enjoyable. The clerks at the front desk were quick and got the job done. The rooms are clean and quiet. The lounge was a great place for dinner. One small comment- both times at check-in we received a free bottle of water, room temp water. And there is no refrig in the room. Maybe think about chilling them, so we can drink them on arrivale.

Room Tip: Get one facing the hills, quieter and nice view.
Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Very clean, affordable and bed's were comfy. Lounge was large, beer cold, appetizer tasty but closes too early on weeknights. Front desk clerk accommodated us greatly. Well done Red Lion! I will choose your place again when I'm in town.

• Stayed April 2013