“Very comfortable...watch out for reservation system”

Rugged Country Lodge
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Pendleton
Venice, Florida
“Very comfortable...watch out for reservation system”
Reviewed June 14, 2010

This motel is affliated with Shilo Inns. It is a 50's style motel that has been updated and made very comfortable and cute. Room was good sized and included microwave and small refrig. Comfortable bed and nice sheets, etc. Staff was very pleasant. Nice breakfast with hard bolied eggs, cereal, juice, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, cinnamon rolls, fruit, yoghurt, biscuits & gravy, etc. Very good value for the money. My only concern was that although we had a confirmation email, we were not on the reservation list. Since there was plenty of rooms, we had no problem, but this could have been a BIG deal had we arrived late at night and had no room waiting.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Olympia, WA
Reviewed April 9, 2010

This little motel is off the beaten track and provides a cozy, rustic atmosphere. Very attractive and well-kept. The rooms are small but well appointed, with nice touches like a small bouquet of lavender and a lavender sachet on the bed. The soaps are organic. The bed is more comfortable than many I've experienced in more expensive hotels, with lots of soft pillows and an extra blanket. The staff are polite, friendly and helpful. I think the lodge is family-owned but not quite sure.
The lodge serves breakfast in the morning in a small dining room (included in the room rate).
The one negative: the lodge is very close to railroad tracks. Also, when I was there, something must have been going on across town at the Pendleton Conference Center, because I could hear an announcer loud and clear.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Boise, ID
Reviewed March 26, 2010

What a surprize! I have stayed at several places in Pendleton and this one is a Gem. Rooms and bathrooms are very recently remodled and done VERY well. My wife loved the tile work and pedistal sink in the bathroom. Beds were very comfortable. The morning breakfast is a choice of toasts, cereal, biscuits and gravy (very good), fruits, eggs, bagels, danish, muffins, juice etc etc. A little more than the typical continental and good quality. (some continentals at other hotels are juice, coffee and unwrapped Debbies cakes). Free WiFi. On the edge of town near the Woolen mills and hospital and on the highway heading to Walla Walla or the Casino. Will definately stay again..

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Oregon
Reviewed January 19, 2010

Welcoming staff; friendly and helpful. Great value. Attention to detail- natural soaps & shampoo, bath salts and lavender. Nicely decorated and clean.
Rooms are small but their uniqueness makes up for it. A little noisy with the trains (naustalgic though) and old plumbing.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Boise
Reviewed January 12, 2010

My wife and I were on our way to spend the weekend in Seattle and we got off to our typical late start so we decided to stop in pendleton to stay the night. We took the first exit and came across this cute little place called the rugged country lodge. We went to check in and the folks running the place were so nice and helpful telling us all we would need to know about the town as far as good places to eat. The gentlemen working up front were so nice and told us that if they didnt get too many more customers they would even bring our continental breakfast to our room for us the next morning which put a smile on my wifes face. Overall our stay was amazing and i would recommend it to anyone. We left happy and definately will stay here again on our next trip to seattle.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed January 1, 2010

I really wanted to like this place, and after staying the night I still was aprehensive about it. The family running it is really nice and its clear they are trying really hard, but....As soon as we found out our pet friendly double bed room was up stairs things started to dissapoint. We had driven 11 hours and were very tired and then lugging all our stuff upstairs was tough. The room was small and cramped with a musty smell and noisy main St. exiting from an Interstate. We had to drive to get something to eat for dinner and the bedding seemed worn and dull. I don't know if this was because it was a pet friendly room, and maybe the others are sparkling and bright . Most of the time trip adviser reviews are right on but this time I would say that I was let down by all the reviews.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank momstephano
Nor Calif
Reviewed October 28, 2009

I always go through towns, stopping at various lodgings to get the feel and price. After going through Pendleton I came right back the the Rugged Country Lodge. Best decision. The people are great, rooms are great, and the details too many to list here. I'm a photographer and while in the mountains damaged my transmission . The Lodge owner offered to pick me up from the repair shop, loan me his truck if I had to go into town, offered to drive me to pick up my car, and said he'd give a discount since I hadn't planned to stay this long. Add a hot breakfast and great homemade chocchip cookies and you've found the place to stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo