“Ok Casino, hit and miss buffet”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pendleton
Wildhorse Resort & Casino
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Pendleton
La Grande, Oregon
“Ok Casino, hit and miss buffet”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We have been to the buffet a few times and most recently decided to try out the seafood buffet. The buffet was actually pretty good, I was surprised. Previously I went there on a Sunday afternoon and was very unimpressed. There were lots of crab legs (two varieties that I forget since I don't eat crab but my husband and son were happy with it), good salmon, various fried fish and some other alternatives such as prime rib which is always good there. The desserts seemed better somehow than last time I was there even though I'm sure they were the same. I even tried a couple of the sugar free desserts by accident and was pleasently surprised that they didn't taste like chemical sugar. I am not a big buffet person but I'd say that dinner is ok here, lunch not so much. The casino itself seems kind of small but I'm not a big gambler. They have added a big movie theater and completely revamped the hotel adding about 8 floors but I have not been to those.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank curtaincrawler
wildhorserc, Community Relations at Wildhorse Resort & Casino, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your balanced review of Wildhorse Resort and Casino. I am happy that the Seafood Buffet surpassed your expectations. It is one of our most popular evenings in the buffet and we are constantly working at increasing it’s offerings.

If you haven’t yet had the chance, please come back and stay in the new hotel, check out the movie theater and perhaps even spend the day on the golf course. We are very excited about the amenities we were able to add in the last expansion and I think they too will surpass your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Beaufort, South Carolina
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed here while visiting Pendleton for the rodeo (if you have never gone, it is AMAZING!!). If you choose to stay here, try your hardest to get into the new tower rooms. We were not so lucky (but thankful to have a room for the rodeo...) and ended up in the older, "courtyard" rooms. They are old and look and feel it. Worn carpet, furniture, beds, etc., etc. The good part was that we weren't in the rooms long enough to worry about it. HOWEVER, the casino is another story. Smoking is still allowed in most of the casino and the part that IS smoke-free, it is still filled with smoke from the other rooms. An eye-stinging experience and you WILL come out smelling like you smoked a pack of cigarettes.
If you get the chance, eat in the upscale restaurant. It was wonderful!
I would only return if I could get into the newer rooms.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the new tower section.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
wildhorserc, Director of Lodging at Wildhorse Resort & Casino, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for choosing Wildhorse Resort & Casino for your Round Up Rodeo accommodations. While over 2/3rds of our hotel property is only a year old, we do still maintain our original hotel as our “Courtyard” wing. This wing allows us to offer a lower price point for our more economically minded guests. We do have and maintain clearly marked smoke-free areas (the new 10 story hotel tower is 100% smoke free) and corridors as you had mentioned but I can also understand your point that smoke, once airborne, has a habit of traveling. Finally, I appreciate your kind words about our “wonderful” Plateau fine-dining restaurant and I will be sure to pass your observations along to our Executive Chef. I hope you can make it back from SC for next year’s Round Up festivities.

You are always welcome here,

Troutdale, Oregon
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband and I researched several casinos in Oregon before deciding to stay at Wildhorse. One thing that added to our decision was that we saw responses from Wildhorse on the reviews that were posted on this website. It is very impressive that they have a staff dedicated to reading and responding to these reveiws. Kudos to you for listening to your customer's feedback! With that being said we just returned from a two night stay. We stayed in the Courtyard which is the old part of the hotel. We found it extremly charming and were very happy with our room. The room was exceptionally clean and fresh and there are multiple exits in the hallways to the outdoors which we appreciated so we could enjoy the nice weather. Every staff member we met was friendly and welcoming, we felt like honored guests! We forgot to mention we are AAA members when were checking in and the receptionist asked if we were members. This was impressive, as many hotels will not ask, they would prefer guests pay full price for rooms. The casino was large with a variety of slot machines and a few tables. It offered free coffee, soda and black tea. We ate at The Hot Rock Cafe which had reasonable prices, good food and portions of food, and pleasant staff. (The friendly, pleasant staff seemed to be a theme.) The only drawback to the stay was that we found the bed to be a little too firm and my husband could not get comfortable and did not sleep. It would be nice if there was a foam or egg-crate layer over the mattress to provide a little give. I would also like to suggest to please include some decaffeinated tea such as mint or chamomile in the casino. Overall we had an excellent stay, we will be back and will refer our family and friends.

2 Thank Nina S
wildhorserc, Director of Lodging at Wildhorse Resort & Casino, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you so much, Nina, for your words of praise. I believe very strongly in the power of the business/guest partnership in bringing the resort experience to the next level. All reviews, comment cards, and returned surveys are shared with the corresponding departments and actual decision makers will read and respond (when appropriate) to feedback. Wildhorse Resort & Casino is very fortunate to have such loyal guests that care enough to let us know both what is good and what could be better.

Nina - Thanks again for doing your part!

Wenatchee, Washington
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I believe that management heard some of the critical reviews found here, and reacted appropriately. All four of us were totally pleased with the hospitality, excellent accommodations and our dining experience. The receptionist was cheery and professional, the luggage fellow was helpful and polite, the folks in the sports bar and ice cream parlor were upbeat, and a maintenance guy on our way out smiled and said, "I hope you had a nice visit." We felt very welcome there.

Our rooms in the tower's 5th floor were very well furnished and refreshingly unique. In addition to all the regular hotel amenities, we liked the electric mirror, the pocket doors and the Keurig coffee maker. My wife would liked to have had some tea bags. The king bed was comfortable and the place was quiet. The rate was lower than most places on our trip to Yellowstone and we got another $10 off for AAA.

If you get tired of gambling in their nice sized casino, you can play golf or go to one of the 5 movies they have playing. I am happy to say that we experienced none of the problems noted in other reviews and will recommend to our friends.

Room Tip: The Tower is brand new and to us, worth the price difference. We asked for their lowest rate and th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Terry S
Thank you Terry for your positive review. We try very hard to create getaway experiences that “Surpass Expectations.” I break it down to People, Facility, and Value. People need to be happy and helpful, facility needs to be clean and up to date, and it all needs to be offered at a price point one can afford. Feedback like yours helps to let us know when we are getting it right.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We made our vacation stop for the first night at the Wildhorse. We knew that due to getting late afternoon start (Labor Day) on our trip that this area would be good stop over for rest, food and a little fun. We were in the old part of the hotel called courtyard and on the third floor. We found that the one elevator to this area was a pain to use. We parked our car on the back lot below our room so we could get to it early in the morning. This however caused us to have to pack everything up and down stairs as elevator is at other end. There was a hallway carpet on our floor that appeared to have damage under it (floor board damage) and the carpet was raised and could trip a person. I didn't sleep as well as I would have liked. Bed wasn't the best and the heating/cooling unit was loud.
Wife did ok at the slots but I had no luck. The food at the buffet was OK but not great. We liked that there is a discount for anyone 50 years and older. Buffet staff were very nice. The lobby staff and Wild Card desk staff need to smile and try and make the quest feel welcome. I have to agree with one review that the payouts on the slots are not great.
For the money paid for the room it was a good deal. When all is done and the amount spent for the night it was high priced. However, thats what you have to figure when you stay at a casino...sometimes you win ande sometimes you lose. I lost my wife won and we broke even.

1 Thank Bruce B
First off Bruce, let me thank you for your balanced review. We are constantly seeking to improve our services and thoughtful feedback like yours is the best place for us to start. One example of our commitment to improvement is the hallway carpet you mentioned. It is in a high traffic area and has become worn from the constant use and repeated washings. Because it no longer represents the resort experience we are striving to achieve here at Wildhorse, the carpet is scheduled to be replaced just as soon as business patterns will allow. They say that the journey of a thousand miles begins with a simple step - with feedback like yours we will make sure that every step we take is a step in the right direction.

Portland, OR
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We went to Wildhorse so we could experience the golf course...We are so lucky living in the northwest to have such a variety of fine courses. The course was great...limited, naturally, by the topography but it is well maintained and a definite challenge. The hotel was wonderful... we stayed in the new part. Rooms spacious and comfortable. We had the buffet for dinner....very mediocre. However, we went to the buffet space for breakfast and they have a menu breakfast that was fabulous. Huge portions more than enough to share.
Didn't do a lot of gambling but the table stakes were decent. Interestingly, this casino decided to stay dry on the gambling floor... bummer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
wildhorserc, Director of Lodging at Wildhorse Resort & Casino, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to fill out this favorable review. I too have been struck by what a great variety of fine golf courses we have within just a few hours’ drive. The Wildhorse Resort & Casino Golf Course stacks up well with the best of them. Designed by legendary golf architect, John Steidel, our course can play long or short with four sets of tees ranging from 5,718 yards to 7,128 yards. Named, "One of America's Top Casino Golf Courses" by Golf Digest – our course is an important amenity to round out the deluxe resort experience you can expect from Wildhorse Resort & Casino.

Meridian, Idaho
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Labor Day Weekend visit. Great room. Stayed in a Tower Vista Suite on the 7th floor. Nice big clean room. Separate guest bathroom was a nice touch. Separate master suite was very large with floor to ceiling windows with spectacular views of the mountains. Flat screen TV's in both rooms. Nice large shower, and jetted tub.

Microwave, coffee maker, and sink in kitchen area. Small fridge was nice, but only cools slightly not COLD.

Casino is nice, but very smoky. There are non-smoking sections, but still noticeable. Slots are tight, so you may want to play tables, or poker. It's a dry casino, so no alcohol is served in the casino. There are free soda machines throughout.

The buffet is also very small for a casino this size. I did expect more. Perhaps they plan to expand.

Plateau Restaurant was excellent.

They have a great kids area. You drop-off your kids and basically pay to have them watched while you gamble, relax, or have a nice dinner. They have X-Boxes, Wii, and Kinex. They show movies, have games, and other things to keep them busy. They will also feed them if you would like them to. Our kids loved it and had lots of fun.

There is also a movie-plex theater in the hotel showing the latest movies.

The fitness center is nice. Good cardio machines, light on the weights, but okay. Nice large indoor swimming pool, sauna, and hot-tub.

Overall, a very nice stay. I would stay here again in the future. Pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to get a nice view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the very thorough and predominantly positive review. You touched on so many great things that I would love to highlight. If I had to pick just one, it would be the Child Entertainment Center. As a parent of two small children (ages 6 & 4) the Child Entertainment Center has been a life saver on more than one occasion. The staff know my children by name and the kids love it there. If I want to check out karaoke night at the Wildfire or just to take in a Movie at the Cineplex, it is nice knowing that I don’t have to call around looking for a babysitter. “Date-night” is officially back in business!