“Elegant!”

Ranked #11 of 80 Restaurants in Pendleton
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Exquisite cuisine, extraordinary views and attentive service is what you will find at Plateau. Our Chefs are masters the art of food using fresh local ingredients & attention to detail. Plateau showcases local wines from Oregon and the Walla Walla Valley making your dining experience one to remember!
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We spent New Year's Eve here with another couple, had a wonderful dinner, a tasting of several wines throughout dinner and excellent service! This is a great place...don't be shy because its a the casino...

wildhorserc, Community Relations at Plateau Fine Dining, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

New Years Eve is my favorite night of the year, there is so much going on. I am glad to hear that you chose to spend yours with us and enjoyed your experience here! Please come back and see us again soon!

Best,
Community Relatons

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had dinner at Plateau with another couple, for our anniversary. We stopped in without reservations, which are recommended, and were told there would be a half hour wait which we thought reasonable, but then the manager came over, re-checked their list and was able to get us a table in about 10 minutes which really impressed us. Our server was Mary and she was very sweet and did a great job of making us feel welcome and describing the menu items to us. We all started out with a cocktail. I ordered the Dungeness crab which Mary said was a salad and a side of grilled asparagus. The crab was tossed with shaved fennel and strips of cantaloupe in a very light dressing and was really different and tasty. The asparagus came with a horseradish dipping sauce and was fresh and crisp. My husband also had the asparagus along with seared scallops as an entrée. They were served over angel hair pasta in a light herb garlic type of sauce, nothing heavy like you usually get for pasta. The other couple had the bison shank over orzo and the Pendleton whiskey steak that was in medallions and came with mashed potatoes and asparagus as well. The steak was cooked perfectly. All the portions were just the right amount to leave you satisfied but not uncomfortable, and left us room to be able to try some of their desserts. I had the ice cream trio, a dish with a small scoop of Pendleton whisky vanilla, huckleberry and chocolate nib ice creams, all just amazing. The other desserts ordered were the crème brulee trio and the chocolate lava cake, all looked very decadent and yummy. When we got the bill we were pleasantly surprised by the reasonable total for 4 people with drinks, entrees, sides and desserts. Prices were equal to those of any neighborhood restaurant but the atmosphere and view were priceless. We will definitely return for another dining experience, and not just for a special occasion!

1  Thank mttinc
wildhorserc, Community Relations at Plateau Fine Dining, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

First of all, Happy Anniversary! I am so glad your husband chose to surprise you with a visit to our resort and even more thrilled that the experience was a great one for you! It is always nice to hear the things that go right with vacations as well as the things that need improved so that we can share them with our staff and use them as training tools in hopes that every guests time with us is exactly as yours was. We aim to surpass expectations.

Again, thank you for taking them time to tell us about your stay and Happy Anniversary!

Best,
Community Relations

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I had to really think about my rating on this one. The elements of the meal that were good were really good. The elements that didn't work really didn't work. Two of our party got scallops, which were cooked perfectly. One got salmon that was overcooked and borderline dry. There were whole green onions thrown into stuff for no apparent reason. The crudites were not sufficient for 3 people. I had a dinner companion feel guilty because she ate both the celery sticks. One my friends had morels that were mushy and the other had morels that were hard as a rock. I'd guess they started with dried mushrooms and one person's dish was not fully reconstituted. In a way, I think this could be a great restaurant, but that they're still experimenting. Some dishes will work and some won't. While that interests me and I might try it again for that reason, a lot of people wouldn't want to pay top buck for food that wasn't great (hence the "average" rating). I'd be willing to bet if we had ordered their whiskey steak, which is evidently a signature dish, it would have been excellent.

Wildhorse R, Chef at Plateau Fine Dining, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Well, let me address that while there were elements of your meal you enjoyed, and we are happy to hear that, we are sorry to hear that we squandered our due diligence in creating a dining experience that was fully memorable—especially in a positive light. You mentioned the word experimenting, and in a way we are. Many “fine dining” restaurants experiment merely for the sake of being clever. We are guilty of experimenting for a different reason altogether. While we do attempt to maintain about 80% of our menu to be very approachable to all guests, the establishing of Plateau also has another purpose: To discover indigenous foods and “invent” for lack of a better word, Native Cuisine. A colleague of mine states it this way, “Tribal cuisines are the first to exist and the last to be discovered.” This is to say, in other words, that looking at something like a tomato- it is a food that the Old World never knew of until the colonization of the Americas, but now a tomato would be very synonymous with Italian cuisine. We certainly don’t want to lose sight of the cuisine one might expect to see when dining out, but we also attempt to rediscover the foods that were, and are, so abundant in this land; to honor them as we honor those people that were sustained by those foods for millennia prior. All dishes are researched and tested extensively prior to serving, and we certainly apologize for our failure to execute your meal properly, be it the rediscovered or the expected. We hope you will choose to dine with us again and what you choose will be to your liking and perhaps you may view the food on your plate with a new light and appreciation.

Josh McQueen
Chef

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Just came back from dinner at the Plateau at the Wildhorse Resort. It was the best dinner I have had in a long time. I had the Snake River sturgeon and the wild rice risotto with fresh garbanzos and peas and my husband had the Pendleton Whiskey steak and a green salad with strawberries. The strawberries were local grown and flavorful. Both entrees were cooked to perfection. The risotto is enough to share with 3-4 people. I will be having a wonderful lunch tomorrow on the leftovers. We shared the three ice cream sampler and I would order it again specifying all three servings to be the cocoa nibs sorbet--light and very chocolaty.

wildhorserc, Community Relations at Plateau Fine Dining, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your meal at Plateau. I will have to take your recommendation and try the ice cream sampler the next time I am up there for dinner.

I send all feedback directly to the Director of Food and Beverage as well as the Executive Chef so we know what is working and what is not. Again, thank you!

Community Relations

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Well, let me start by saying that I intentionally did not set my sights too high on "Plateau". After all, it is eastern Oregon....The menu looked great on paper and I did do some research on the previous Trip Advisor reviews, so I went there with an open mind. Kay, here goes....The staff was very friendly and gracious, the dining room has a great view, the portions are more than adequate and the prices are comparable to other restaurants in Pendleton, so I am not sure why some people knock this on Trip Advisor. The menu reads deliciousness and the wine list is VERY impressive for the area as well. Now, I did not enjoy the "MUZAK", but that's me just being picky. However, the meal itself was less than impressive. By the accents I heard emanating from the kitchen, "Chef" was not present tonight; maybe he only works on the the weekends.... I ordered the braised Bison, bone in. The presentation was quite good, but the side dish was under cooked (a white bean and salsa (?) mix, and the Bison itself was served lukewarm, with the marrow actually being refrigerator cold ;-( ...To be fair, the server was quite apologetic and did take 20% off the bill when I asked if it was meant to be served this way. However, I still do doubt that I will be returning for dinner, which is a bummer as I was looking forward to trying the sturgeon on the next visit.

Wildhorse R, Chef at Plateau Fine Dining, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

We are certainly disappointed that you did not enjoy your dinner and from the sounds of it it was improperly executed. I, very well may have been out of the kitchen that evening as I tend to be pulled in several directions but I did speak to my Sous Chef regarding the events. Whomever was cooking your Bison simply did not execute. There is no excuse. We will continue to strive towards excellence so that in the event you do choose another First Foods focused dish we will have given the foodstuffs the respect they deserve, be it Bison with shank bone marrow and succotash or the Sturgeon. We certainly hope you will reconsider and visit once again.

Josh McQueen
Plateau Chef

Been to Plateau Fine Dining? Share your experiences!