“Quiet, peaceful atmosphere, good food and beer, outdoor hot tubs, and friendly service.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cooper Spur Mountain Resort

Cooper Spur Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Parkdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed a night at the resort before skiing had a good time. Dinner and drinks were good with local beer and food as well as friendly service. Outdoor hot tubs were awesome in the snow. The full pine board interiors of the room were nice and free WiFi is always appreciated. Continental breakfast was better than most and everyone working at the resort was very happy to help. Definitely would like to return.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Mtompkins82
Ellisa F, Public Relations Manager at Cooper Spur Mountain Resort, responded to this review, March 23, 2015
Thank you for your welcoming positive comment. We love the fact that we are so close to skiing in the winter and hiking in the summer. Recreational opportunities are just virtually outside our doors. I have to agree, that hot tubing in the snow is so much more fun than the opposite. We do strive to keep our WiFi free as well as updating and improving on our amenities. I hope you will come back and see us again soon and as always, your feedback – whether it is positive or negative, is always welcome.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Yuba City, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Comfortable, welcoming, and clean. Stayed in one of the hotel rooms with a king bed and had a peaceful night's sleep in preparation for a day on the slopes (very close proximity to Mt. Hood Meadows, and get a discounted lift ticket price for staying at Cooper Spur). Ate dinner at the lodge due to the fact that the roads were too icy to venture out too late at night and had a quiet and nice meal with a few local brews. Furnishings are "lodgy" and to some may seem outdated, but it is all a part of the appeal of a hidden away lodge in the woods for those who appreciate kitch and uniqueness. Look forward to coming back.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so very much for your positive comment. We too like the fact that we are so very close to skiing at Mt Hood Meadows and that we can offer such a great discounted lift ticket for guests staying here with us. With our onsite Restaurant and the newly remodeled Crooked Tree Tavern, you can literally have a quiet fine dining experience or watch a game on the big tv’s and have excellent Happy Hour meals in the tavern. We love the fact that we are the unexplored and un-touristy portion of Mt Hood and we like the fact that we are hidden away and quiet here.
We hope to see you back here soon!
Smithland, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

The Cooper Spur Resort was a nice, adequate place to spend a quiet night. Calling it a resort would be a big stretch for me. We were told to call a number if we needed anything....called twice and NEVER even got an answer to the phone. We requested spa towels two different times before they were delivered, and we ended up requesting them in PERSON both times because no one would answer the phone.

Our room was in the inn, it was quiet, and very dark. The room was so dark it was difficult to read. The hot tubs were ok, we did have the place to ourselves at least with a nice deck but no mosquito repellant torches or candles of any kind so we didn't stay very long.

The room was clean, at least what we could see. The shower was fine, and they did provide soap, shampoo and conditioner as well as a hair dryer. One other thing I really liked was that the boys had their own beds, two twin beds and a queen. This was a nice break for our two boys.

If our rafting company had not ran a special with this property, we wouldn't have stayed. I don't think we would stay there again, for the price I would prefer a bed and breakfast with better customer service and personal attention and information.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Kgardner120
Thank you for your comments. We always appreciate knowing what we need to improve on so we can make ourselves a better and more appealing to travelers. Since your stay, we have made some drastic Managerial changes and we strive daily to work on our guest services and our response time to our phone calls. I am sorry about the unanswered phone calls; I do not know what happened there, as I wasn’t employed at that time. We now have a multi-line phone system, where we can answer multiple calls, hold callers and we also have a radio system which we can immediately contact housekeeping as well as maintenance – for those needs that arise.
We also now employ a night caretaker who is here from the time the office and restaurant close until we arrive back on site the next am. This person has a direct line to answer for any after-hours situations that arise, towels, extra items as well as firewood delivery.
The rooms do seem quite dark due to the beautiful wood inside the units. This lack of light is because the natural wood absorbs the light instead of reflecting it, like a painted wall would do. We have been adding more lights and are constantly assessing the fixtures to see if we can make it better.
We too like the fact that our Resort does offer a “Family Unit”, so that with a family of four ~ everyone can have their own bed. Makes the stay a little nicer when everyone has their own bed and they can sleep better.
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

We had a wonderful time based at the Resort. Cabin number three was in wonderful condition. Quiet clean and very comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. We had a superb meal in the restaurant. A wonderful place to explore the Mount hood area from.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank nstrav
Thank you for your great comment about our little resort up here in the mountains. We are very glad that you had such a great quiet time and that you found our resort to be clean, comfortable and the staff friendly and helpful. We strive to keep updating our Restaurant menu and are forever changing things and catering to new dietary requests. This area that we inhabit up here, is unique and so very close to outdoor activities of many forms ~ being snow sports related, spring to fall hiking or even just a quiet time that you seek ~ we have it here at Cooper Spur Mountain Resort.
Lakewood, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

My husband and I wanted to enjoy a place in Oregon that was close to Hood River and Mount Hood Meadows but offered a little bit of solitude as well. I just cannot get over the views of Mount St. Helens from the hot tubs! The staff is really friendly, the food in the restaurant was great and not overpriced like so many off the beaten path places can be and the property was nice and clean. It was a short drive up to skiing and nice nights relaxing in the hot tub under the stars! We even checked out their big house that they rent for a possible family vacation!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your positive and truly from the heart comments. It is nice to see that others like our little bit of heaven up here on Mt. Hood. We too love the views of the Cascade Peaks from the hot tubs as well as the almost zero light pollution views of the night stars. Being both close to Mt Hood Meadows as well as Hood River, makes us a little more convenient for both mountains and city atmosphere ~ you can get both with just a short drive in either direction.
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

My son and I stayed for 3 nights in mid-March. We were there for one reason - to ski at Mount Hood. For that purpose, this place was more than adequate, and the most convenient lodging to Mt. Hood Meadows (just 20 minutes or so depending on the snow; the next closest is probably twice as far). We were comfortable and enjoyed our stay, but if you are looking for deluxe accommodations, this is not your place.

Normally, I would begin discussing the unit, but unlike other reviewers, we found the food was very good at the restaurant, although the selection is limited. More importantly, my son has fatal food allergies. I had called before we arrived and talked with the chef. Much to my surprise, she had gone out of her way to insure that there was plenty for him to eat that he would enjoy. She even altered the menu for the two taco buffet nights to guarantee that cross-contamination on the buffet would not be a risk. This would be an unusual measure for a high quality hotel or restaurant, so especially worthy of note for this location. This alone justifies the 4 star review.

We both highly recommend the freshly ground hamburger. Outstanding. Taco nights (Monday and Tuesday all-you-can eat for just $5 per person) feature plenty of fresh food and toppings. They also serve a $2.00 local micro brew selection. But you need to get to dinner before 8 or the place pretty much closes down and you’re out of luck.

We stayed in unit 6. I mention this because each unit is apparently configured differently, or so I am told. This was an end unit and was very quiet, and closest to the main building, but the place seemed pretty empty, so I can't say what it would be like if it was fully booked. The unit features a nice size living room/kitchen with a stone fireplace (they provide one milk crate filled with wood each night - enough for a couple of hours, but after its gone you have to pay for additional crates at $5 each).

The kitchen was reasonably equipped, including stove, toaster, microwave/convection oven, coffee maker and refrigerator. We really didn't cook anything, so I can't speak to the adequacy of the pots, pans and utensils, but I would expect they are minimal. We knew that they only served dinner and planned accordingly. We shopped at a wonderful natural food store in Portland and brought breakfast and lunch for the mountain, snacks, etc. (tip – they provide coffee pods, but bring your own fresh and Mr. Coffee-type filters).

I'm not sure if they are supposed to do the dishes or make up the bedding each day as I got conflicting information. I saw the housekeeper on the first morning and she said they didn't wash the dishes, but would make the beds. However, with a nice ask, I found the dishes were done each day when we got back, and of course I left an appropriate gratuity.

In the middle of the living room is a spiral staircase leading to a loft with 4 beds and a bathroom. The main floor has two bedrooms with queen and king beds, respectively, and a tiny bathroom (the kind where unless you are shorter than 5'2" you need to duck under the shower head). It’s not the Four Seasons, but it works.

Several people have mentioned the place is dark. They aren't kidding. Very dark. They use low-wattage energy efficient light bulbs in all the fixtures, and even with the sun shining outside and all the lights on, the bedroom was so dark I needed to use a flashlight to insure I hadn't forgotten anything when we moved out. The living room is better, but still dimly lit. We appreciate conservation measures and living green, but there are brighter bulbs that still save money.

That brings up another problem - there are very few electrical outlets - just a few in each room. Finding adequate outlets for your electronics or even an alarm clock was challenging. I asked for a 3-way adapter or extension cord so the alarm clock could be on my nightstand. They told me that this would violate the electrical code or some such. There were a few other inconveniences, but nothing that would ruin your stay. There were limited hangars or hooks. No washer and dryer (or any public laundry facility). Heat was from electric baseboards in the bedrooms which were difficult to control – either too hot or too cold. There was also a central heating unit outside of the two bedrooms that had a fan. Finally, all the ground level windows were left unlocked. I had no reason to feel insecure, but as a precaution, I went around and locked all of them before we left for the day.

The people were very pleasant, polite and friendly. If you understand what you’re getting here, you should have an excellent stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Remdawg30
WOW – thanks for the very informative and concise review of our little mountain lodge. We strive to be different from the larger, more commercial establishments and we work daily on making our guests stay memorable and comfortable, going the extra mile to accommodate for food allergies, unique dietary restrictions and such. We can’t always grant these requests, but we do try to go out of our way for those one-off requests.
With the new Management that has taken over the Resort, we have added many amenities and we do not require the guests to make their own beds nor wash their own dishes. Our housekeepers are very efficient and they too love to go out of their way to make sure the guests have a relaxing and enjoyable time with us.
Yes, the units are quite dark but we have been working on new lighting systems, improving and experiencing with the placement of lamps, lights and such. With the beautiful natural wood, this absorbs the lighting instead of reflecting the lights thus making the rooms appear dark. We have forwarded on all the comments regarding the lighting to our Facilities Department and they will continue to assess and experiment as well.
I do not know of any lodging property that would supply a guest with a three way adapter for a wall outlet, nor bring an extension cord to a room for an alarm clock. Our alarm clocks are located next to the beds, on the nightstands now ~ I have no knowledge of their location at the time of your stay.
With our lodge being built over 30 years ago, a guest laundry facility has not been a necessity. I again will pass on your comments to our Facilities Department to see if this could be written into any future expansion plans.
I do not know why the windows were unlocked; possibly that week prior to you arriving was a little warmer and the prior guest had opened them and the housekeeping hadn't re-locked them after their stay.
Thanks again for your very thorough and specific comments and we will strive to make your next stay a better one.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

Having made reservations over the phone, everything sounded like it was in order and the gal couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. Check-in was just fine since we arrived after hours so we had no interaction with their staff. The condo with kitchenette was average, but very dark. The condo could really use more or brighter lights. There's a four burner range top, but no stove. The beds were comfortable and all-in-all since we were not spending much time in the condo it wasn't too bad. Now, our interactions with the front desk staff on three occasions was different. Difficult to explain as they were not rude and no "we are sorry." It is almost as if they don't get it. I had asked for one page of directions to be printed and got the "deer in the headlights" look. Additionally, we required another night stay on a Sunday night, but were told no and that we had to checkout. Typically, one gets a sorry followed by a recommendation for other accommodations. I was surprised since the resort was dead. Besides our vehicle there were two or three others in the parking area. The proximity to the Meadows and Hood River ended up being a plus.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Northwoods4Traveler
Thank you for your comments. Yes, the units are quite dark but we have been working on new lighting systems, improving and experiencing on the placement of lamps, lights and such. With the beautiful natural wood, this absorbs the lighting instead of reflecting the lights thus making the rooms appear dark. We have forwarded on all the comments regarding the lighting to our Facilities Department and they will continue to assess and experiment with lights, lighting ans such as well.
Our Condo units have gone thru and are still going thru some updating and remodeling of the kitchenettes over the past couple of years. With this remodeling, we have updated each unit with new appliances, mini-refrigerators, and such. I was not here and neither was the new Management at the time of your stay. I did look back into the month of March 2012 and noticed that we were booked solid for many weeks and almost every weekend ~ not knowing the exact date of your stay, I cannot see what was going on here. I am sorry that the front desk did not recommend other lodging in and around Cooper Spur ~ but there really isn't a whole lot around here. You would have to go down to Hood River or to Government Camp to find additional lodging.
Thanks for your comments and we hope that you will come back and see if we have improved.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parkdale
BEST WESTERN Mt. Hood Inn
#4 of 8 in Hood River
Best Western Plus Hood River Inn
Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel
BEST WESTERN PLUS Columbia River Inn

Been to Cooper Spur Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!