“Run! Run far away from this place...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Paisley
Summer Lake Hot Springs
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Paisley
Redmond, WA
“Run! Run far away from this place...”
Reviewed August 5, 2009

The natural scenery is beautiful. The hot springs are nice. That's it. The rest is a crashing disappointment. We chose this place for a family reunion of sorts, based on their website. The web designer deserves an award for creativity and selective photography. We stayed in the Homestead and it was beyond dirty - mouse droppings on the counters and in the cupboards (the mice snacked on our groceries), insects (live and dead) everywhere, filthy carpet, dirty linoleum, a rotting floor in front of the shower, very dirty furniture. And - windows without screens, lamps that didn't work, smoke detectors without batteries or hanging from the walls by their wires and obviously inoperable, a discarded hot tub by the deck, a "BBQ" consisting of a kettle supported by an old wheel. Don't get me wrong - we're pretty hardy people who are able to deal uncomplainingly with a few bugs or a little dirt, but this was beyond the pale. I don't mind quaint or old, but I draw the line at dirty. We also rented the Ranch House which, thank goodness, was much nicer although still not the cleanest place I've ever seen. Don't look under the range hood if you don't want to see the lightbulb encrusted with dead bugs. And don't look behind the curtain if you don't want to see the wiring exposed and not in an electrical panel. Did I mention that it was deer fly season while we were there? Not the owner's fault, but be warned that these things are persistent, bloodthirsty, unfazed by bug spray, and a swirling cloud of biting misery whenever you step outside. Did I mention the old school bus and other discarded junk laying around which quite distracts from the surrounding natural beauty? This place could be so much more. But it isn't.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
8 Thank Idaho83

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
North Plains, OR
Reviewed July 30, 2009

The website looked great so I booked the Ranch House and the Homestead cabins for a group of six guys doing a motorcyle tour of Southern Oregon. The Ranch House was fine, except that it didn’t have air conditioning. The Homestead was another thing. First, it’s a long way from everything else. Second, nothing inside was square, flat, or fit. We joked that it looked like it had been lifted up in a tornado and dropped back down. Third, it had a terrible smell that we tried to convince ourselves was from the sulfur filled spring water that came out of the shower and left over dirty towels from the previous night, but we couldn’t stop thinking that something had died under the building. Fourth, the place had more flys than I've ever seen. It was full of both live and dead flies. And when I say full, I'm not over exagerating. I've never seen so many flies anywhere except around a dead animal. And to top it off, the owner had somehow screwed up and not gotten house keeping for the cabin that day, so we had to change our own sheets and clean the place up. Last but not least, the sign in the place said we had to remove our own garbage. Okay, but not to an onsite dumpster, we had to haul it away. Haul it where? I'm on vacation, does he expect me to haul my garbage to the next motel? We were a group of six guys riding dirt bikes for seven days, we didn't have high standards or expectations, but this place was discusting even to us. If we would have had any alternative at all, we would have left. I’d be surprised if this cabin could pass any kind of inspection. It really should be condemned. The hot springs was cool, not sure I'd pay $10/head if I wasn't staying there though. So next time I’ll avoid the flies and and strange smells and just keep on moving.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
5 Thank DSRider

Travelers are raving about these Paisley hotels

Seattle, WA
Reviewed July 24, 2009

I was so looking forward to staying here. The website looked great. The location interesting/spiritual and the philosphy of "green building" engaging.

I was kind of shocked when I showed up. What appeared to be a rustic spiritual resort in the desert turned out to be a rundown trailer park in the middle of nowhere. Everything was shabby, grimmy and in disrepair.

It was like the website was created years ago when the place was a going concern and now the place has fallen apart. It was kind of sad really, because with a little TLC the place could be nice. What has happened to the owner's plans? Has he fallen on hard times in the economy? He seems like a nice man, with his 3-legged cat, who has lost his way with his dream.

The communal bathroom looked like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks or months: dirty toilet, splattered mirrors. To clean it daily would take so little effort.

The "green concept" was a bunch of overflowing bins with bottles, plastic, etc that looked like a dump run hadn't taken place in weeks. Duane's plans for this Utopian resort seem not to have materialized. I was looking forward to a hot springs soak but was so grossed out by the dirtiness of the place that I never checked out the springs.

I stayed in the Airstream trailer which is a bargan at $25. However, I spent the next 4 days scratching bites on my ankles. Was this from sand fleas that bit my ankles when I sat out and viewed the lake until 10:00 pm? Or bed bugs/fleas from the gross bed I slept on in the Airstream trailer. The trailer that had little or no operating windows, had beds made up with rumpled linens that looked like they had been hastily remade after the last guest stayed there. I will never know what caused my myriad of ankle bites and will never stay there again to find out.

The location IS beautiful. I showed up at dusk to rolling fields which included multiple varieties of sage brush in full green bloom. The hills were warm brown basalt with yellow grasses growing in between ridges. The lake was beautiful blue with the white alkali rim showing around the perimeter of the lake. I have never seen a desert scenery so beautiful, especially in July. I can see why Duane thought it was spirtual. I just can't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
oregon
Reviewed November 13, 2008

This is wordy, but necessary to try to "get" this place. I have visited this very healing place many times over several years, during all seasons. Amazing sky changing and displaying constantly with great clouds, stars, moon; weather is very invigorating in all seasons; wonderful hiking onto the dry lakebed playa in one direction and up on the uplifted ridge in the other direction; of the great wildlife I have personally seen are many bird varieties especially in spring when migratory birds and waterfowl pass through, various raptors, owls, songbirds, swallows, martins, quail, etc, antelope, deer, coyotes, bobcats, badgers, mountain sheep, rabbits, and more. Mosquitos and deer flies at some times in summer, various other insects. History of centuries of human involvement in the area, great geology, beautiful views in all directions. Great sense of isolation, silence, many interesting other travelors. And of course the hot springs themselves - the 15 by 30 foot bath house pool, at around 105 degrees, in the old barn built in 1927, and the new outside soaking pool near the bath house (sometimes in winter this gets cool if weather is cold and windy or if water is diverted to other uses). 2 other outdoor tubs are available if you rent the ranch house. Formerly known as healing springs, and used for centuries by local natives, soldiers, cowboys, farmers, travelers and still doing their magic healing. Rustic houses and cabins, RV sites, and camping with basic services and not everything just perfect - but few places better for relaxing, healing, appreciating a unique slice of nature.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — not enough time there
  • Stayed July 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank joheli
oregon
Reviewed August 19, 2008

If you're looking for a unique experience in a unique setting, I'd highly recommend SLHS. But please don't confuse this place for a Marriot or a Holiday Inn. If you're a room service type of person who needs everything perfect ... do your research first.

We stayed in the nicest unit: the Ranch House. It was a stand alone house on the property with private soaking pools in the back yard ... with a great view of Summer Lake, the mountain range and a little pond. For $150 a night ... it's a good value considering it was two adults and two kids. They also "cabins" for less money.

The place is ... funky and cool. Duane the owner has big plans for the property and he's the only person doing the work ... so some of the place is a work in progress. And we're fine with that ... we don't need a Sheraton or want a Sheraton.

My wife (who likes clean places but has an adventerous side to her) loved the place. And the kids had a ton of fun in the soaking pools and the main hot spring. The historic "tin shack" that the pool is housed in is totally cool ... none of us have ever experienced anything like it. We ran into one other group that day (two sisters with their kids) and the one lady was last there twenty years ago. And the water is awesome ... clean and hot.

I guess the true test is would we go back? Yes. And the town of Paisley is cool too. The one restuarant served great food in big portions (we took a bunch home and had it for dinner in our house) and the general store has most provisions. If you like to fly fish there's a river running through Paisley (the Mewaucan?) that was decent for fishing and fun for swimming with the kids.

Also - Duane the owner is a great host and everything was ready when we got there. Remember ... you're out in the middle of nowhere just about so there are some cobwebs and spiders and dust, etc in the cracks at the house we stayed in but it in no way deters us from highly recommending this place. We'll never forget our stay and we look forward to a return visit.

It's funky, cool, memorable and very relaxing.

• Liked — unique, hot springs, funky, fun, unforgettable, comfy
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank charliep

Been to Summer Lake Hot Springs? Share your experiences!